Any Vonage Voip users? is so this is COOL!

If you sign up for Vonage and have them send you hardware, they will send you the router (Linksys RT31P2). It says somethine on their web site about making the PAP2 (or something else) available in the future.

You can also buy the hardware at a whole bunch of places. Currently, Circuit City has the PAP2 for $60 but there are $60 worth of rebates. So, after a few months, it's free.

It looks like it's much cheaper to buy the PAP2 than it is to get them to send hardware. If they send it to you, they will charge $30 for setup and $10 for shipping. As far as I can tell, the setup is probably mostly just reading the MAC address off the box and entering it into their system. I don't know that they do anything else. Then, if you cancel the service (after 14 days), they charge you another $40 for the router - which they will credit if you send it back.

If, on the other hand, you buy the hardware it looks like they don't charge all those extra fees (I may be mistaken about this).

I went ahead an picked up a PAP2 and set up the service the other night. So far, so good. They don't offer numbers in my area, but since I'm also keeping the land line this is not a problem. The Vonage line will only be used for long distance calls. I got a number near most of my family so now they will be able to call me by placing a local call - no more long distance charges for them.

By the way, if you know someone who uses Vonage and you want to sign up, get them to give you a referral. If you use the referral, you get one month free and they get two (actually, a credit for the level of service you selected x 2).

Not enough time to read entire thread.

but....cancelled landline a few weeks after using vonage. No looking back either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wen ahead and bought the free pap2 from circuit city. Now i have to get those rebate forms mailed out. I suck at rebates.

Make sure to send it in Squintz. I just received my $50 rebate last week. BONUS for me, as I had actually forgotten all about it!

Not a very comprehensive report as they left out Packet8. The 2nd largest VOIP provider, and one of the best values at $21 per month.

OMG... Reading an article at PCmag is a joke.... 4 sentences on a page...the rest is crap.... :)

My favorite part of the PCMag review: They gave the nod to AT&T because they will send someone to your home (for a fee) to install the hardware and get you set up.

Smee - I thought that was lame also. I guess that really shows you the target audience wasn't cocooners! :)

I did it... I made the jump to vonage and reduced my Lan line to a minimum (Pay per call) I'm going to try vonage for a month and if i like it and get use to it then i will drop my lan all together.

Damn I'm tempted. Verizon is busting me $50/month (not including LD) and the only extra on the line is caller id.

Just in case I don't like Vonage, can anyone confirm that Vonage locks their boxes so you can't use them with other services? I remember reading that somewhere, but can't find the reference now. Of course if I buy the adapter at Circuit City, it ends up being free, but I just hate to have unused equipment hanging around.

jlehnert said:
Just in case I don't like Vonage, can anyone confirm that Vonage locks their boxes so you can't use them with other services?
Yes, as far as I know the box is locked. You can't use it with anyone else.

just to add my two cents here, I've been using VoIP (Vonage) for almost a year now. my house has 6 phone, 2 modems, and a netcallerid box and it's all working very well. all i did was pull out the verizon feed on my OnQ panel and punch down the pair coming from the vonage box in it's place. it really was that simple.

VoIP has some things you need to get used to, but nothing too weird and the savings and the extra features are well worth just a bit of re-training. :)

Back