Anyone interested in all in one counter top touchscreen units?

Yup, and the IDE cable on mine has an extra position on it for another drive. However, it is much, much easier to place another IDE cable in the secondary port on the motherboard and route it out of the bottom. The power hookup is already down there and it won't require taking the OEM cabling apart.

I can now confirm that there was a heat issue with one of my units. The system locking up had a seized case fan and the CPU fan had been blocked by a cable. So I'm off the computer store to get some more fans. Going to see if I can get some quiet ones and upgrade both units.

Thanks. I had finally figured it out. I routed a second cable down as well. My 2 units seem to be different. One is much older, louder, has a 40 GB 3.5 drive, 512 RAM and fans don't work very well. Having the same reboot issues when on IE and when trying to update XP (I have a SP1 disc). Other one seems newer, minimal dust inside, 20 GB 2.5 drive, 1 GB RAM and seems faster.

Dumetre -
Is there a known patch to keep these machines from rebooting? It appears both of my machines exhibit this behavior.

Ok, got one all up with 2k and the touch driver (intalled JUST the Serial from the 30M zip file). . . IE is an instant crash, but Firefox is fine. Installed VNC, Housebot SW remote, 7zip. Think I'm about done on the SW side. . ..

WOL works fine, BTW.

Drops into standby nicely- PC shuts done (fans and all) except the Power supply fan (PICOPSU, here I come!). Needs mouse, kybrd, or WOL to come out though- the touch screen is inactive. Also comes up with a login screen- have to see if I can get around that. Does come out very fast- less than 5 sec on a quick count.

Anyone figure out how to bypass the memory test at bootup? I can't seem to find anything in the BIOS that turns it off.

Got rid of the login out of standby- setting on Power/Advanced tab.

The power supply in the base of the unit I opened is a Power-Win PW-150ATXFP.

3.3v 7A
5v 12A
12v 5A
-12v 0.3A
5v SB 1.5A

Lines up fairly well with the largest of the picoPSU's- 150-XT. I have a feeling it is overkill though. Might have to get a meter out and see what this thing is really drawing. There are an awful lot of unused connectors bundled up in the base.

Drops into standby nicely- PC shuts done (fans and all) except the Power supply fan (PICOPSU, here I come!). Needs mouse, kybrd, or WOL to come out though- the touch screen is inactive. Also comes up with a login screen- have to see if I can get around that. Does come out very fast- less than 5 sec on a quick count.

Anyone figure out how to bypass the memory test at bootup? I can't seem to find anything in the BIOS that turns it off.
To set the startup mem counting / testing

Advanced Configuration ---> Memory Test

Also check the "Hardware Monitor" section where it shows the voltages and fan speed - my voltages seem a bit low would be interested to hear yours, before & after your upgrade.

Wow, I think we have completely different BIOS- mine is Award. My cpu reports as 800mhz. This is what my monitor shows:
IMGP9044-vi.jpg

I didnt have any of them that rebooted during the 2+ hour drive wiping process.

There are definitely 2 different types and they have each have a different bios. The BMC version is the one that says "SeePoint" on the board (by where all the I/O ports are) the other version is the DFI board which is labeled as such.

Sorry i havnt been on here as much. I am currently on the road for work and havnt had any free time.

Request for comment -

The Seepoint kiosks with the WhizPro BIOS are unusable for my purposes under Windows XP, any version / SP level. The problem is they will reboot under certain circumstance - which is reproducible with consistence with both of my two units. So far this is just under Windows XP. I have yet to test under any other OS.

1. I will be interested to hear with what level of success others are using this same described machine / software combination.

2. Can anyone with one of the above described units / configurations successfully install and run HSTOUCH without rebooting?

Thanks in advance.

Dumetre did you actually install in operating system on any of these or did you use the operating system that was on them for yours?

Dumetre can you please advise? I see people using Windows 2K and it seems to work without rebooting etc but I also see Monk noting that XP reboots. What operating system are you using on yours? Did you just leave the Windows 98 they came with?

I can not get an operating system (tried 2 copies of XP) to load on one of mine and have not tried the second. I dont want to spend significant time or any more money on these if they will be constantly rebooting with a particular operating system etc.

The units are very clean and in better shape than you would think so these are a great deal once we know what operating system is best suited for them.

Thanks

FWIW, I'm running XP SP3 on both of mine. After the replacement of that one failed case fan, they have both been operating flawless. I'd suspect either a heat related issue or a memory problem without seeing the unit myself. In my experience, reboots at around the same amount of uptime are often heat related and random or program related can be traced to a failed component. Keep in mind these unit have probably been in operation 24/7 or close to it for the last 6 years or so. And from what I can smell in mine, in a smoky environment.

Check proper operation of the fans and there's lots of memory test software out there (most notably on pretty much every Linux livecd).

Dumetre did you actually install in operating system on any of these or did you use the operating system that was on them for yours?

Dumetre can you please advise? I see people using Windows 2K and it seems to work without rebooting etc but I also see Monk noting that XP reboots. What operating system are you using on yours? Did you just leave the Windows 98 they came with?

Thanks

Which model did you receive?

FWIW, I'm running XP SP3 on both of mine. After the replacement of that one failed case fan, they have both been operating flawless. I'd suspect either a heat related issue or a memory problem without seeing the unit myself. In my experience, reboots at around the same amount of uptime are often heat related and random or program related can be traced to a failed component. Keep in mind these unit have probably been in operation 24/7 or close to it for the last 6 years or so. And from what I can smell in mine, in a smoky environment.

Check proper operation of the fans and there's lots of memory test software out there (most notably on pretty much every Linux livecd).

Mbarland, thanks for your reply. You did not mention the "Model" you received which are running flawlessly.

Thanks

Back