Anyone interested in all in one counter top touchscreen units?

to recap:

Unit 1:
pulled out, tried to install windows 7...yeah, not enough systemto run that...
So, then I tried to install XP, bad disc...whoops...
couldn't find my other disc...so I installed Win2k.

I was surprised, really FAST, installed all drivers by default (Except Elo)

I installed the Elo driver from the 3meg zip. Played around, Touchscreen would not respond. The drivers FOUND the screen, but couldn't see my touching it

ok, to continue my updates:

Unit 2:

pulled out, installed Win2k (where the hell is my original XP disc?)
(have a site license...so not too worried about installing too many of these)

Just as fast and responsive as Unit 1. Surprise, this unit has 20GB hard drive, where Unit 1 had 10GB. Both appear to have the same amount of ram, same processor / mobo. This unit has generic ram. Unit 1 had Kingston ValueRam

Looks like this one is going to go in the Kitchen for some MP3 stuff...

Installed ELO driver, this time from the 30meg zip. EVERYTHING works! WHOO HOO!

TIP:
I don't know if it was this driver, or the options, but Nick mentioned to me that when he tested the touchscreens, he installed the USB and SERIAL drivers. I did so this time. So, I changed two things, I don't know which made it work...but oh well...

The two drivers are DEFINANTLY different. The install had a two different screens between the two programs.

So, tonight, I'm going to try to take unit 1 back apart, so I can re-hook in the DVD drive and wipe, then re-install Win2k, then use the Elo driver from the 30meg file.

So far:

I've been very happy with the build quality, the units "feel" tough (metal case, frame, etc.). The only thing that's "kind" of cheap is the bezel/frame around the screen. It's plastic. I like how they have two power switches. One is power to the PS, one is the "soft" power button.

I have it rigged so as soon as power is applied to the unit it boots. I also need to change the ram check in the beginning. I want it to boot fast, not slow!

I have Win2k setup with Hibernate on, and the unit will get turned off by hibernating (to increase the boot speed).

I also LOVE the ELO screen. NICE, glass, etc. You don't feel like you are going to break it! I like it so much so, that I'm considering changing my HTPC touchscreen to an ELO...but that's for another day!

------------------------------
So far, my initial power readings are:

Booting: 68-70W
Idle with screen on: 49-50W

They are going to replace Audreys...which sit at about 13-20W

I have not turned off the screen yet (I disconnected the keyboard, buttoned it up, then hibernated the PC. THEN after turning it on, realized that I did not disable the "user must enter a password after suspend"...yeah, hard to enter a password when there's no KEYBOARD attached!).

------------------------------

Other thoughts:
the power supply in the base is a bit noisy...I am thinking of replacing the power supply with one of these:
PICOPSU

There are two cooling fans in the head of the unit. One is for the CPU, the other is for venting the head. After I make the PS quiet, if these are loud, I'm considering replacing the head's fan with a different fan. The one on the CPU is a coolermaster...which IMHO tend to be quiet anyhow.

More to come!

--edited added some corrections to sentences that were two 1/2 sentences put together...also, install order for first Unit...

Yes- good news on the touch driver working with 2K! I will rebuild my disks this weekend -loaded unlicensed XP to test. My jumpy screen problem appears to be fixed- I swapped the graphics cards to see if the problem would follow, and it stopped on both systems. Need a little more runtime to be sure though.

One of mine has a 30gb drive. . didn't notice on the other.

Noise- yes! Something has to give, mine sound like little jet airplanes, especially next to the fanless ones I currently have. ;-)

PICOPSU- ok that is wicked cool (yes, I'm from New England). Never thought of doing that! I already distribute 12v for my existing wall mounted units, I could run this off the same supply (although this is a heavier load).

I'd like to see if WOL works with them- that would be nice.

Just a few quick notes -
Installed XP slipstreamed to SP3 by hanging an internal DL-DVD drive off of a seperate cable I plugged into the (empty) secondary IDE channel. Had to change the BIOS for first boot to come off of CD but no other actions needed.
Did windows update / installed all available patches, etc. with the exception of any dot net. Installed dot net 2.0 from seperate file.
Touch screen did not work @ all untill I manually installed the drivers from the "DFI" drivers zip.
Kind of noisey between the cooling fan and hard drive (40GB). I will replace the HD with a newer quiet drive. Perhaps the fan too. This could benefit from extra Ram, currently at 512.

Although I am using it right now to post this, the web browser will cause an instant reboot (No Blue screen or anything) of the computer, depending what I am doing. This occured in IE7 and still does it via IE8. I am about to blame it on web pages containing flash - will see after a little more experimenting.

Monk,

Try Portable Firefox from www.portableapps.com

I had some weirdness with IE...so I went back to using this...FF Portable

They also have:
# Google Chrome Portable (Freeware) - fast, simple, themeable browser
# Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition - the award-winning web browser that's safe and secure
# SeaMonkey, Portable Edition - complete internet suite (browser, email, chat, newsgroups)

No install needed. Just run their "un" zipper.

T
Monk,

They also have:
# Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition - the award-winning web browser that's safe and secure
# SeaMonkey, Portable Edition - complete internet suite (browser, email, chat, newsgroups)

Thanks - Iam using it now - Can't get the thing to reboot anymore. Not sure what the deal was with IE.
++EDIT++ not true - see next post

T
Monk,

They also have:

Thanks - Iam using it now - Can't get the thing to reboot anymore. Not sure what the deal was with IE.
OK - figured it out. It IS flash pages that is causing the hard reboot. Only in IE, not in Firefox. Every time I go to www.elotouch.com using internet explorer, this thing does a hard reboot. Really weird, because FF does what I would expect it to do and shows a banner at the top with a "missing plugins" message - giving me the opportunity to install Flash - where IE simply reboots.

===========
EDIT - Even after installing Flash in IE, the TS PC still reboots when going to the www.elotouch.com page. Every time. So anyway, if you are having weird reboots with IE, and you get a reboot when going to that page - I'd like to hear about it...

=============
Edit - 2 - This is also an issue with Firefox
In addition, some non-browser things will cause a reboot too.

I got mine yesterday and immediately tore into the package. Neither would work quite right booting off of a USB stick. Not sure if it was my stick's formatting or the computer, so I plugged in an old cd-rom drive. Worked great from there on in, except one unit would occasionally hang at POST and was running slow and crashing. I haven't dug too deep yet, but I believe it is a heat issue as the fan at the back of the case does not appear to be working. Both unit would probably benefit from a good fan update.

I'm thinking about trying to update the mobo/processor on these. I took a cursory look at it while I was in there and it appears to be a standard ATX power connector on the mobo. The problem will be integrating the touchscreen as it appears to use a proprietary board for the VGA and serial interface. Anybody else look at these parts? I am loving this system as it sits, but think that an ATOM ION system with the touchscreen in the stylish countertop base would be sweet.

This may be a silly question. How do I connect my CD drive to this thing? I can't get to the IDE cable, it is buried in there behind the hard drive. Do I take the bezel off and remove the screen to get to the guts of this thing?

Thanks

Back