Anyone migrated from Homeseer to Home Assistant?

Here still using

1 - HS (Virtual box's) of SAPI speech fonts (collect them) and
2 - 2 instances Way2Call boxes controlling two incoming VOIP lines - blocking et al and SAPI CID.
3 - Jon00's network device manager to manage my touchscreens.

wkearney99 said:
Having done home automation for decades now, for me it's a hard pass on "there will be" promises.  It's either shipping or it's vaporware.
myServer has been around and working well for several years.  Mostly in commercial projects.  There are many Homeseer users using myServer 5 now.
The SmartRemote exists.  I have it in my hand right now.  It will ship a month after the Kickstarter closes to folks that invest.  Much more baked than the "YIO" remote that is just beginning development.

I'm watching this thread with interest.   Homeseer works, but I am fed up with the undelivered promises, the arrogant and dismissive responses, and the way they strand long-standing functionality (e.g., HSPhone).  But I have not been able to find other software that integrates with all ELK M1 and Sonos as completely as HS does.  Thank goodness for the plugin developers - HS would be nothing without them.

I was about to jump into Home Assistant, but after reading the above, I might be wasting my time.  

I looked at ECS some time ago, and it was not nearly as comprehensive as HS.  It is interesting that ECS says it works with Stargate - maybe I should dust mine off and go old school.  Nah.

I have not looked at Allonis since the Main Lobby days, so I will give that a look.

I am open to any suggestions.

Running HSPhone (Way2Call boxes) on a Virtual box version of Homeseer 2.  Works fine.  Rich has provided a free license just for HSPhone.

Same virtual box runs multiple instances of speaker.exe with different voice fonts and mixing the audio here with one Amazon Dot plugged in the the Russound zoned audio.  

As mentioned above I am using HS3-4 and HA current version together with no issues.

I manage the Alexa device (only 10 of them) with the HA Alexa Media player plugin.  

pete_c said:
Isn't ECS software / firmware running on the UPB network controller made by PCS?

POWERLINE INTERFACE MODULE - IP (PIM-IP)

I guess that three letter acronym gets used a lot but for Omnipotence software I belive it stands for Event Control System and not related to PCS as far as I know. Been around a long time and I've always been meaning to check it out but never have got around to it. 

Mark S. said:
I'm watching this thread with interest.   Homeseer works, but I am fed up with the undelivered promises, the arrogant and dismissive responses, and the way they strand long-standing functionality (e.g., HSPhone).  But I have not been able to find other software that integrates with all ELK M1 and Sonos as completely as HS does.  Thank goodness for the plugin developers - HS would be nothing without them.

I was about to jump into Home Assistant, but after reading the above, I might be wasting my time.  

I looked at ECS some time ago, and it was not nearly as comprehensive as HS.  It is interesting that ECS says it works with Stargate - maybe I should dust mine off and go old school.  Nah.

I have not looked at Allonis since the Main Lobby days, so I will give that a look.

I am open to any suggestions.

Don't be so quick to dismiss Stargate. I use mine to control relays and hard wire inputs because the programming is so much more flexible than an Elk panel for example. I would like to see Homeseer do a HS4 plugin for legacy Stargate controllers.

Back to the OP....and looking at the evolution here of automation and automation common transport...takes me back to this post now from 2005...

Migration Strategy

I do not think that Homeseer has run out of steam yet.  Home Assistant is popular and has evolved much in the last few years.

It really is about what you the individual DIY user is most comfortable with whatever the OS.  (Linux, Windows, iOS, Android et al).

HS continues to do what it does, no argument there.  The question is does it do the new things.   It's certainly "capable" of doing just about anything, as we've all seen over the decades it's existed.  But at a certain point you stop wanting to mine your own ore and want to start using finished steel, to use a likely bad analogy.  I've spent my time in the mines and have gotten decent results with HS.  But a breath of fresh air is good now and then.

It's my observation the latest round of HA has a lot to offer, including more out of the box integration of devices I use, and a much, MUCH better UI experience.  HS just hasn't put anywhere near the same effort into making the same improvements, for whatever reasons.

The upside is I can certainly continue to use both, it's not an either-or for me.  I'm willing to put the effort forth to tinker a bit to see if I can get the results I'd like.  

The base UI in HS while updated to work in Linux / Mono still looks similar to past generations of HS users.

The updated HS4 GUI is more of a mobile interface rather than a desktop interface. 

Many folks on the Homeseer forum are DIY automators first and only automation endeavors have been with a Windows desktop experience. 

Here on Cocoontech and the DIY users here have used all sorts of hardware and software to automate and it all has worked fine for them.

Rambling now and moving away from your original post....

Still recall conversations about using xPL and xAP from the early 2000's right here on Cocoontech and now it's using MQTT for automation.

Today we are at the creeping edge of AI automation in the cloud.   

My kids (in their 30's now) have adopted well to sleeping with their phones and remote controlling their automation with their always connected cell phones and Amazon / Google devices. 

It is very "easy button" and you do not have to be technical to use it.   Way different than using Homeseer or Home Assistant.

pete_c said:
My kids (in their 30's now) have adopted well to sleeping with their phones and remote controlling their automation with their always connected cell phones and Amazon / Google devices. 
It is very "easy button" and you do not have to be technical to use it.   Way different than using Homeseer or Home Assistant.

Eventually all advances run up against the 'old dog, new tricks' boundary.  Same as the buggy whip analogy. 

Times change, people that are used to doing things one way don't often adapt to any notions of doing it any differently.  

wkearney99 said:
Eventually all advances run up against the 'old dog, new tricks' boundary.  Same as the buggy whip analogy. 

Times change, people that are used to doing things one way don't often adapt to any notions of doing it any differently.  

My problem is that I like using new stuff but I reject the notion that I should have to give up my old stuff in trade. I want platforms that let me expand my system and also let me keep things that I am happy with in place. There is nothing out there that can easily replace my Stargate or my 24 extension phone system so I don't see them going away any time soon. There is a lot more to Home Automation than Z-Wave, Zigbee and Wi-Fi so platforms that limit themselves to a handful of protocols like that are not going to score very high with me.

I'm not saying anything has to be given up in trade.  But I am saying that sticking with something 'just because' is never a good plan without actually looking into alternatives. 

Especially when it becomes clear that certain aspects of what's being used no longer work (if they ever did). 

Or adapting them to new things seems to be a lot more trouble than is required with new solutions.

Because these two points are issues for me, and I'm looking at my options and considering HA as a part of my next steps.

I asked if anyone's made the transition and has tips.  Not "is everyone afraid of change and desperate to confirm their choices by scaring everyone away from any kind of new thinking".

Now, I don't think anyone here is THAT narrow-minded, but it sure seems like many of the replies... raise questions about my assumptions on that.

Back