Anyone using a CAV or CAM for Elk Voice Announcements?

BryanE

Anyone using a Russound CAV or CAM for Elk Voice Announcements? Is the CAV's paging fast enough? What are you using as a trigger?

In otherwords, does the audio system turn on (if needed) and switch to the correct source in a fast enough manner to prevent any of the annoucement from being cut off. If a system cannot switch fast enough, then instead of hearing "The rear door is open" you hear "...door is open." That isn't very helpful.

In otherwords, does the audio system turn on (if needed) and switch to the correct source in a fast enough manner to prevent any of the annoucement from being cut off. If a system cannot switch fast enough, then instead of hearing "The rear door is open" you hear "...door is open." That isn't very helpful.

Exactly... thanks for clarifying sic.

Anyone using a Russound CAV or CAM for Elk Voice Announcements? Is the CAV's paging fast enough? What are you using as a trigger?
check this http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...aging&st=45 thread out. my doorbell, paging and elk announcements are broadcast to whole house via cav6.6

Thanks for the link and diagram. Anyway to do this without the Viking unit?

Can you talk more about using the 12v trigger? Is the autosensing not fast enough? You state that it helps prevent word dropout, which is one of my major concerns. I had planned on using the line-level to phono-plug cable that Elk provides a diagram of. Is there a simple way to get the Elk to trigger 12v when talking?

Thanks

Thanks for the link and diagram. Anyway to do this without the Viking unit?

Can you talk more about using the 12v trigger? Is the autosensing not fast enough? You state that it helps prevent word dropout, which is one of my major concerns. I had planned on using the line-level to phono-plug cable that Elk provides a diagram of. Is there a simple way to get the Elk to trigger 12v when talking?

Thanks

if all you want to do is have elk announcements come thru the cav, the viking is unncessary. i tried doing using the autosensing feature for triggering a page on the cav and was not satisfied. announcements would get clipped at the beginning and end. hence, i use a combination of the 12v trigger on the viking and an output from the m1 (12v also) to trigger the cav. for each elk announcement i time the trigger to last just a bit longer than the announcement to eliminate clipping.

Back