Anyone want to guess where automation is going?

Digital Dan purchased a new home a few years ago.  The builder installed a non HAI controller.  Thus, Dan no longer supports H@me since he doesn't have a HAI controller.

I'm still using his H@ME app on IOS devices.  Still works well and way better than HAI's craplink.  Unfortunately, I think it will stop functioning when IOS 11 comes out.  I wish he'd either open source the code or turn it over to someone else to let them continue development of the app.

Digital Dan wrote the first OmniPro drivers for openHAB generation one.  I tinkered with it and it worked fine for me.  As Bob mentions above he abandoned development on the plugin when he moved to a new home.  I do recall writing to him and got the same response about moving to a new home and getting a new panel.  Around before that time I had provided him with the HAI test link which I believe is still running today which does provide a mechanism of wan OP2 testing.  He did help some openHAB HAI newbies get started with second generation of the plugin.  I did try the second generation of the plugin and it did work for me.  There are quit a few folks there using the openHAB plugin today as it works with just about anything these days including mobile iOS and Android. 

Bob above has also (re)posted the original bits and pieces of the original drivers relating to an HAI plugin.

There are also a few  automation companies that have written drivers in Lua for embedded hardware connectivity.  IE: for example Control4 has a LUA plugin for the OmniPro plugin.  As well as Girder6, Vera automation.  What I like about this stuff is that it is very basic and runs on the OpenWRT OS base.  It can run compiled or just via command line.  Only thing is I see bits and pieces published but nothing really public relating to it.   

Today I am still utilizing the rsw686 HAI logger program with the Samsung Smarthings hub connection and it does work except that it's only sending time sync alerts and not alarm notification alerts (email and push) these days for me.  I am running it today on an ARM Pine64.  I am using STunnel and have validated that STunnel is working fine with anything else sending emails to the proxy.   You can also utilize Alexa with it.  I also see that Leviton does advertise and sell a Samsung Hub package.   (IE:
Samsung SmartThings + Leviton Home Automation Bundle)

Question for Ano?  Are you still using the HAI Logger / Samsung Hub plugin?  Are you running it on Windows or Linux?  Does it work for  you?

The last Homeseer 2 HAI Plugin here did work with the serial connection for me.  Note I mention LAST HS2 HAI plugin version.  Earlier versions did not do well with the OmniStats.  That said it is frozen at an HAI firmware level of 2.XX even though the basics do work at 3.XX.  The Homeseer 3 network Omni plugin is working fine.  You can install it on an RPI2-3 and it does well.  Alexa and Google VR works fine with it.  Homeseer is not freeware.

I have seen much of this info right here on Cocoontech.  Folks have written about it and really it is just some granular reading right here on the forum.  The only two combo automation panels written about here are the Elk and the HAI panels. 

It looks like Dan is updating his OpenHAB plugin for HAI no?  I saw updates on github?  Maybe I misread it.  I haven't played with OpenHAB but with that plugin I am curious.  I use Haiku Helper on a mac mini and it does a lot of cool stuff for my property but its another EOL product which seems to be everything I am using these days? (iRule)

Thanks!

Neil

I am pete over there on the OpenHab forum and haven't been there in a while such that I do not know.  There are a few folks now playing with the OmniPro bindings.   I do not think there is any one person that has taken ownership of it.

This binding here ==>

OmniLink Binding

is for OpenHab version 1 and does work.   Just run it and it creates a log file of all of the Omni Pro devices.
You take that log file and use it to create the HAI variables. 

Try it...follow the step by step relating to installing Openhab.  Most important piece (as in any of the Omni software is this piece). 

#################################Omnilink##################################################
#
#Enter the port (4369) host ip or name and the two crypto keys for your omni panel. The
#two keys may be found in the installer menu on a HAI keypad or touchscreen. Each key is
#16 hex characters in pairs separated by colons (aa:bb:cc)
#
#if generateItems is set to true then the binding will print all known items and a sample
#sitemap to the log file (INFO). Useful when setting up for the first time.
#
omnilink:port=4369
omnilink:host=panel.yourdomain.com
omnilink:key1=00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF:11
omnilink:key2=00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF:11
omnilink:generateItems=true
The initial log is the configuration of all of your Omni variables.

This was the one that Digital Dan created and is not supporting today.

You do not even have to utilize your own panel for testing if you utilize the test WAN OmniPro IP.

Well just checked (with snaplink) on the wan demo ip and it is no longer active.

At the time of contact to Digital Dan way back; he was not aware of this testing on the WAN ip and configuration.

The IP is still up and I can ping it.  Doing a port scan to see if there is still a port open on the IP.

The IP is: 65.82.228.37 and the old port was 8738 (which is not open now). The keys were all zeros.

It is not really that plug n play unless you put the OpenHAB hat on. 

This all seems way too complicated :)

I am happy with Haiku and Haiku Helper but I need to evaluate other options -sooner than later for my ipads and my phones.

That is the "thing" with open source freeware stuff.

I am happy with Haiku and Haiku Helper but I need to evaluate other options -sooner than later for my ipads and my phones.

From reading here on the forum the Haiku and Haiku Helper folks have created a new piece of iOS based automation software which is none specific to the Omni Pro panels and will work with the Omni Pro panels.  They will not make any monies updating the Haiku and Haiku Helper program; but they will make monies on the new automation software.  Personally I do not think that they will be upgrading the old software to work with the new iOS hardware.  That is me though and my opinion only from reading the posts here on the forum.

Homeseer offered a discount for those users of Homeseer 2 that wanted to migrate to Homeseer 3.  With the new stuff any development / updates / support from HST for Homeseer 2 stopped.   Same thing occurred with the original Homeseer 1 going to Homeseer 2 software (1998 > 2000's)

Relating to open source freeware....

For example here have been using zone minder for a few years.  Many years ago best versions of zone minder were the ones you built manually on whatever linux flavor you decided to use.

Today if you join the zone minder forum and ask a question about it; well like how to use it or how to install it you will most likely be ignored or pointed to the documentation wiki on it.  If you do not understand the verbiage in the wiki then you are pretty much sol. 

Another example is Control4.  They did write an HAI interface for their system (using LUA) many years ago and it does work today with the Leviton HAI Omni stuff.

Software wise here you have CQC and Homeseer that do also provide a plugin / interface to the Leviton HAI Omni panel.  (Girder 6, HACS are a couple of other automation software pieces with HAI plugins).

In the Homeseer 1 and 2 days the HAI plugin was offered for free with deluxe packages.  Today it is sold as an a la carte addon and not included with a base installation package. 

Here on Cocoontech a forum user provided/created a plugin called HAILogger with a connection to the Samsung Smarthings hub.

It is free. 

The author detailed installation on Windows or Linux and all of the pieces that you have to configure for use on the Samsung web configuration page.  Anyone with knowledge of manually configuring add ons to the Samsung Smarthings hub can do this following the step by step documentation provided by the author.  I have a Samsung Smarthings hub here but didn't know how to add a plugin manually to it until I read the documentation.  The Samsung HUB primary interface is Android (and iOS / Windows phones). 

I have it installed here on an ARM based computer and it is running fine (except for the email pieces).

So heifneil you are at a juncture here waiting for somebody to sell a new or update a plug n play HAI interface for your iPhones and iTables or DIYing your own software or using Opensource software written for the Leviton Omni panels. 

That may or may not happen as the legacy OmniPro isn't that popular any more with newbie automation folks and there may not be a market to make any monies selling a specific iOS plugin for the OmniPro.  Well too Apple like everybody else is doing their own Automation thing and they will sell it just fine.  Only thing will be they may not offer an interface to the HAI or the Elk combination automation and security panels.

Today too you have folks that will only utilize Windows or iOS or Linux as well as those who will only utilize iPhone, Android phones, Windows phone or iTablets or Android tablets or Windows tablets.  This is sort of the direction of an application written with the ability to utilize any OS viewing or managment console with it which can be sometimes difficult to write.

That is just the way it is these days.

pete_c said:
Question for Ano?  Are you still using the HAI Logger / Samsung Hub plugin?  Are you running it on Windows or Linux?  Does it work for  you?
I think it is still working. I haven't tried it or updated it in a while.  So I bought this HP Windows 10 Computer for like $50 on Black Friday last year. I use it for UPStart, and PC Access, but not much else. Otherwise I'm all Mac based, so this is the only PC in my house.

Thank you Ano.

Ahhh...so you are running HAILogger in Windows ?

Here running it on an ARM based Pine64 2Gb computer using Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit with Mono.

First version of HAILogger way back was running in a DOS window on Windows server (automation server).

I am on version .8 and while the time sync emails and texts are working fine I do not get alarm on and off emails.

I configured the Smarthings hub with all of the OmniPro variables and they work fine.

It is a raw splatter of HAI variables that you can rename to anything you want.

I have done the HAILogger / Smarthings Hub for another CT user and it's working fine for them too using Android tablets / phones.

Here helping a MAC only family manage their OmniPro 2 panel with 70 or so UPB switches.

Remote access is only via one HAI Omnitouch panel in the house and their Snaplink mobile on their smart phones.

I installed Oracle Virtual box an a Windows virtual box for Upstart and PC Access on their main Mac computer using Teamviewer.

It works well for them.

The only issue with them is that they were not familiar with Upstart and PCA and only programmed their HAI switches via one Omnitouch console.  Over the years as they added devices and scenes they jumbled up their configurations.

I suggested and wrote a plan for them to reorganize all of their switches / scenes creating one step by step spreadsheet and mostly for them to be self sufficient.  This was done after a careful review of the PCA configuration.

The reorganization of their stuff is in limbo right now due to normal day to day activities.

They have gone to DIY monitoring their security and simple scene control. 

roussell said:
The cheap, open switches are here now, well $15 ones anyway. I haven't tried the wall switches, but the inlines work great when reflashed with Tasmota firmware.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-touch.html

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry,
Do you know if the wall switches or inline units have an API or any way of being controlled by other devices?
The inline units you mentioned, are those the same as this?
263a87f155b1755062bfa1b95554bd15.jpg

No API that I know of, at least not for the stock firmware. Changing to Tasmota or one of the others available gives these little things tons of features. Yep, that's the inline one. There are lots of resources in the wild for the sonoff switches, you should find a wealth of info once you start digging.

Terry

roussell said:
No API that I know of, at least not for the stock firmware. Changing to Tasmota or one of the others available gives these little things tons of features. Yep, that's the inline one. There are lots of resources in the wild for the sonoff switches, you should find a wealth of info once you start digging.

Terry

So if I update firmware to the Tasmota, can I send commands to turn them on through Curl or a weblink?

Back