App for tracking circuits in house wiring?

I have a seventy year old house that we built up in 2000.  The new wiring is all neat and nicely labelled.  The old wiring is a real mess - apparently over the years they just strung onto the end of circuits all over the house.  

So I am going to start tracking it more closely - right now I have notes all over the panels as I go.

I wanted an app to do this - I found something called My Breaker Box but I could create something more useful than that app.

Does know of anything?  If not then I will set about putting something together.  Thanks.

Personally here just wrote down where the circuits are going / labeling them in the fuse panel.

I did find one split (shared) neutral circuit one day and helping neighbors with their electric found that they had a similar issue with one circuit.

IE: replacing one wall switch in Living room and disconnecting neutral disconnected electrical in Kitchen and TV room.  When I reconnected the neutral wire in the wall box it tripped adjacent breakers.

Same electrician during construction.

What does a shared neutral mean?

A multiwire branch circuit is a branch circuit with a shared neutral. This means there are two or more ungrounded (hot) phase or system conductors with a voltage between them and a shared neutral.

It is difficult to find a shared neutral wire.  Here have conduit.  I found it by accident wiring new outlets in the basement and seeing that two fuses shared same neutral wire.  One of the circuits was for unfinished basement lighting and other other was for unfinished basement outlets.  

Back