Are there any weatherproof water shutoff valves?

BrettS

I want to try to set up some leak detectors and use homeseer or something to shut off the main water supply if any leaks are detected, but the problem is that my water shutoff valve is located outside the house. From there the water supply enters a cinderblock wall and goes down into the concrete slab and branches off from there, so the only place I would be able to mount an automated shutoff valve is outside. Are there any valves that would work for me?

Thanks,
Brett

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=4108

Edit: Might have to place the unit in some sort of protective enclosure to shield from rain as I found this statement on their site:

The WaterCop electric valve should be installed just after the existing shut-off valve on your main water line. However, if your existing shut-off valve is outside of the house or building, the WaterCop should be installed on the main water line immediately after it enters the dwelling through a floor or wall.

Where is your hot water heater? I know my main water line is underground outside, comes thru concrete wall into the garage to the heater and then back under the slab. You should have access to the line somewhere by the tank I would think.

Where is your hot water heater? I know mind is underground outside, comes thru concrete wall into the garage to the heater and then back under the slab. You should have access to the line somewhere by the tank I would think.

The water heater is in the garage on the other side of the house from where the main enters the house. However I am reasonably certain that the cold branches off to the downstairs bathroom before it comes out of the slab to the water heater. I guess it's worth investigating a bit to see if that's the case or not as the water supply by the water heater is definitely accessable (and sheltered from the weather).

Thanks,
Brett

I want to try to set up some leak detectors and use homeseer or something to shut off the main water supply if any leaks are detected, but the problem is that my water shutoff valve is located outside the house. From there the water supply enters a cinderblock wall and goes down into the concrete slab and branches off from there, so the only place I would be able to mount an automated shutoff valve is outside. Are there any valves that would work for me?

Thanks,
Brett

Assured Automation makes an automated valve with a NEMA4 enclosure rated for outdoor environments (-30 to 400 F):

http://assuredautomation.com/26/buy_26.php

They are pricy, however.

When you click on the link, click the "Electric" tab, select size and power requirements. It will give you a part number and a price. I believe that they only sell direct.

I don't know where you live, but if it gets cold, you have to protect the valve and connecting pipes from freezing if outside. Mounting inside would be easier if possible.

I don't know where you live, but if it gets cold, you have to protect the valve and connecting pipes from freezing if outside. Mounting inside would be easier if possible.

I'm in central Florida, so freezing shouldn't be too much of a problem. Like I said, the current manual shutoff valve and supply pipe are already outside anyway, so I can't imagine that there's too much of a freezing risk.

Also, unfortunately, I just checked my waterheater and the supply for the water heater comes out of the finished wall, so, while it may be possible that I could get to the main water supply near the water heater I'd have to destroy the wall to do it. I'm not totally against opening up the wall to install a shutoff valve, but I wouldn't want to do it only to discover that something already branches off before that point anyway.

Luckily, I'm in a townhouse in a development that's still under construction, so they're going to be starting to build other units exactly like mine in the next few weeks. Maybe I'll wait for a little while and see exactly how those units are plumbed to see if I can get a better idea of what's behind my wall and where things start branching off of the water supply. Actually, come to think of it, I may walk over there several times while they're building those units to take pictures of the high and low voltage wiring and the plumbing and whatever else I can think of before they put up the drywall... Probably the next best thing to having pictures of my own unit under construction.

Brett

you just need to bust up the wall where the pipe enters and get access from there, OR carry the main inside at that point (is their a close or utility room there?)

you just need to bust up the wall where the pipe enters and get access from there, OR carry the main inside at that point (is their a close or utility room there?)

Unfortunately not, because it's a cinderblock wall. The drywall is just put on furring strips and the water pipe actually goes through the cinderblocks right into the concrete slab.

They're pouring the foundation for the new building this week, so hopefully they'll start laying the plumbing soon before they pour the slab. I'm hoping to get some ideas for where to put the shutoff when I see how they run the plumbing for that new building.

Thanks for the idea, though:)
Brett

Back