Are these boxes useful?

Ranger Digital

Just curious if any one can share a use for these. Appears there are many many available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rack-Mount-Windows-200...1QQcmdZViewItem

I am not related to the auction in any way. Just thought if there was a use for them them, the price seems right. It says it comes with windows 2003 server software? Something just doesnt look right at that price. I am looking for the software so was wondering if it could be pulled off this system and used elsewhere.

Just curious if any one can share a use for these. Appears there are many many available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rack-Mount-Windows-200...1QQcmdZViewItem

I am not related to the auction in any way. Just thought if there was a use for them them, the price seems right. It says it comes with windows 2003 server software? Something just doesnt look right at that price. I am looking for the software so was wondering if it could be pulled off this system and used elsewhere.

Auction says "no COA", so it's not a legal copy of Windows 2003 Server.

Auction says "no COA", so it's not a legal copy of Windows 2003 Server.

Personally, I'd just slam a fresh copy of Linux on it, so no COA is one less piece of paper to take up room in the trash can :p

- jason

Very true! But don't figure that you're getting a license for 2003 Server in the cost, because you're not.

Those machines are obviously low-end, but the cost is also low. If you have a need for something with those specs, they certainly seem like a good deal.

Yes, "the os is simply copied on there to prove to someone the box worked" says the seller after I sent him a message.

so what would one NOT use them for? some applications dont take alot of processing power. also, couldnt these be stripped and used just as a "new" box with a new mother board in them? please share what you would use them for and not use them for.

thanks, i am learning! :p

Yes, "the os is simply copied on there to prove to someone the box worked" says the seller after I sent him a message.

so what would one NOT use them for? some applications dont take alot of processing power. also, couldnt these be stripped and used just as a "new" box with a new mother board in them? please share what you would use them for and not use them for.

thanks, i am learning! :p

Well, if you want to run Windows on them, the RAM is pretty low. I would bump it to at least 512MB, maybe 1GB. The small 20GB hard disk is indicative that disk performance won't be very high.

As for throwing in a new motherboard - sure, but you'll have to also buy a new CPU, new RAM, and probably a new power supply. So, at that point you're only buying one of these for the case, floppy, CD, hard disk, or whatever.

Just make sure you know what you are getting. They do seem like a good deal, from a reputable seller, who isn't overcharging for shipping.

Looks like these may be all gone. Too bad - any rack mount dual hot swap case is worth the price alone.....

I was thinking the same thing as I read this, $100 delivered (roughly) is worth it for the case alone. Toss out the motherboard, put your own in and move along. Just have to watch the power supply wattage. Then again you don't buy this to put an 8800GTX video card in it... Then again you can replace those as well.

Just getting a case delivered (a nice one at least) for $100 is a good deal (a desktop case). Granted there are small ones or Ultra ones that you can get for free after rebate, but a bugger one will typically cost a bit more.

chak, mike, thats what i was thinking as well. the auction is over but he didnt sell all of them, so likely another auction will follow. i may be interested just for the box alone.

Just have to watch the power supply wattage.

Not just the wattage, but be sure the power supply has the connectors you'll need for a new motherboard. At a minimum, the 4-pin +12V connector. Otherwise you'll need a new power supply if you upgrade the motherboard.

If anyone is located in or near MA, I have 3 4U rackmount cases w/power supplies (probably 300-350W) I'd sell for cheap.

mike, can you post the manuf. and part number? thanks.

I don't know the brand of the chasis, but 2 of them have Antec power supplies. One is a newer 380W with SATA and the +12V 4-pin connector, another is a 300W with the +12V 4-pin connector, but no SATA.

I'm not sure about the 3rd one right now, it's packed away.

Back