Are you worried about the Corona Virus

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
5/17 - Went for a 110Km ride to Allentown NJ. Normally this place would be busy and quite lively. It very quiet, a bit disturbing. The local ice cream place was open but with odd hours. It opened at 3PM until 8PM. I planed to be there by just about 3:30PM but I had a bit more work upgrading the bike parts so I didn't arrive until 5PM but when I go there there was quite the line at the walk up window at the back of the store. After I picked up my ice cream I went out from the sit on the bench. The main street was empty, The dinner was open but it was hard to tell. The rest of street has no open business, plenty of parking. The ice cream was very good (double dip, vanilla chocolate chip). Tommorrow I'll visit something a lot more local for ice cream (for me, the ice cream isn't the point, the mileage is)

So while riding I noticed:
1) lots of people walking
2) lots of people cycling
3) lots of people driving - seems off hour and rush hour seem to be a bit higher than normal - odd.
4) larger groups of people gathering

The last one is a bit problematic as I live in a hot spot. I was south of it. And the population density in this part of NJ is quite a bit less dense than northern NJ.

So in hindsight I thought this was gonna be worse than it’s been so far. Struggling to understand the whole thing.

I’m not in an urban area and the spread has certainly been curtailed by the “lockdown” particularly air travel I suspect. But we’ll never prove a negative and there’s no “base case” to reference against and wonder at what cost.

Governments have always placed a monetary value on life when evaluating safety measures. Except now it seems. I think many authorities were really scared at first and now can’t admit they overreacted. Or it was never about the virus per se. or something else.

So, what happens if the CCP release another virus that could be worse. Are we gonna say - “we locked down for less so sit tight” or are people going to reject it? Or something else? I know I’m framing this a bit colloquially but I wonder about this.

That and a forced vaccine. But I’m starting to believe there is no vaccine here - we’ll always be “18 months” away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here carrying on as best as possible.  Our town did go on lock down a couple of weeks ago but not related to Coronovirus. 

Went big box hardware store shopping with elderly neighbor (78) and did notice that he drives with a mask on.  I noticed many folks are doing this.

Another elderly neighbor (85) broke her ankle a couple of months ago.  She was active and in good shape.  She became infected in the hospital prior to surgery and passed away.  Seeing a lot of elderly neighbors walking these days where as I never saw them walking before.  (> 75 )

Neighbors 2 kids (~ 40 YO)  working in a hospital did get infected.   One of our primary care physicians retired and sold their practice.  

We have continued to grocery shop rather than ordering groceries on the internet which we tried and it was very low on the WAF.  Still noticing choices of beef, chicken, fish are low these days.  Toilet paper is still being hoarded.  Social distancing has been pushed in the grocery stores but nobody much follows that.

IE: They put direction lines in the aisles for shoppers which no one pays attention too.

It is pretty hard to to stay on the program here. I live in the rural outside a small town here so we don't see much of the virus. Even in our two counties we have only had about 80 cases in total.

Included in that we had a nursing home that had 24 "inmates" infected along with 12 care workers....all recovered. That was a positive.

Other than that we don't know of anyone ever being infected, and do not know anybody that knows anybody that was infected. The same thing applies to my three sons and their families living in a 500,000 population area. None have ever heard of a case or know anybody that has heard of a case.

So, in the end, it is hard to not come to the conclusion the whole thing was just a hoax? But why? Who? CDC was complaining not enough people were using their flu vaccines? Some gain from perpetuating a hoax? ...and the whole world bought it? Not likely.

The stress of the whole thing really seems to be taking it's toll though with all the outbreaks of protests, rioting,burning things, and looting, even people barking on forums where they usually  may have let things go.
I think the psychologists were warning the governments this could happen and most of us thought thought...what a crock!  Oooops!

According to Spanish Flu timelines, we are due a huge wave in Sept-Oct again with ten times the number of deaths. Hopefully, encouraging more people to get infected now, at a more controlled rate, will avert this predicted second wave and save some lives. The powers that be, could never admit this to the public, though. Flattening the curve means to flatten the peaks and the valleys.

Hang in there. It's all in our heads! :unsure:

LarrylLix said:
The hoax would be...I wonder why we never saw anything reported in other years when more people died from other flus?
I guess those flus must have been the  hoaxes then?
Really?

The problemwith COVID is a lack of vaccine or cure. There have been tools to use to combat problems in the past with some exceptions like HIV and that killed many and it was mainly a change in human behavior that got that under control. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with the H1N1 virus in 1918. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

If you want to remain healthy I recommend that you do not assume that the virus will not find you. How can you not know these things?

Mike.

LarrylLix said:
The hoax would be...I wonder why we never saw anything reported in other years when more people died from other flus?

Is that even true? Other flus did not spread from 1000 cases to 1,000,000 cases in five months while the world was in lock-down. If it spread that fast in lock-down what will it do when we mingle?

Don't you see a problem with that?

EDIT - Correction, I believe that we have 2 million known cases now.

LarrylLix said:
I guess those flus must have been the  hoaxes then?
In the US, far more people have died of Covid-19 (114,000) than of the flu (37,000 on average). Right now, the number is about 3 times the annual average for the flu.  By September, they project that it will likely be 6 times the death toll of the flu.  And it won't stop there.

In the course of just 2 months, Covid went from being an insignificant cause of death, to being the number 1 cause of death in the US.  That doesn't sound like a hoax to me.

The pandemic is not over yet.   Today, there is no cure, there is no treatment, there is no vaccine.  It will continue to infect and kill people. 

https://www.bluezones.com/2020/06/covid-19-straight-answers-from-top-epidemiologist-who-predicted-the-pandemic/

mikefamig said:
Really?

The problemwith COVID is a lack of vaccine or cure. There have been tools to use to combat problems in the past with some exceptions like HIV and that killed many and it was mainly a change in human behavior that got that under control. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with the H1N1 virus in 1918. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

If you want to remain healthy I recommend that you do not assume that the virus will not find you. How can you not know these things?

Mike.
According to the CDC in 2017-2018 winter season there were 44,802,629 flu infections.

I doubt you were  "hunkering down" that winter! I doubt you even heard about those cases? How could you not know those things? LOL

Yes, we have been in isolation since mid March.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

Back