Arming after door is shut

Is it possible to arm the M1G after a door is shut? I have my KP at the entry to my garage. If I arm the system away, I have a certain amount of time to get in the car (myself, wife and 2 kids not very easy sometimes) and get the car out of the garage and door shut.
Is it possible to arm the system when the garage door contact is made when the door is shut?

you could set it to force arm on that door and it will allow you to arm the sytem with that zone open and then arm that zone once it becomes secured(closed)

Yes as mustangcoupe says, use the Force Arm option on the zone definition. The Garage door can be open when arming the system. The Garage door will temporarily be shunted out of the system. When you close the garage door, it will be unshunted and placed back into the security system.

If you are looking for other functionality such as lighting control when entering and exiting you can use a wireless transmitter/receiver combination. They will let you arm the system after leaving the building and also allow 2 other buttons on the keychain controller to do "stuff" with. Some will argue security risks when using wireless to arm/disarm. You will have to make the decision.

That was my back up plan if i couldnt do it with the KP. I didnt want another "fob" on my keychain and another button to push.

What do you do when you come home?? I enter through the garage with the keypad inside the house... It sounds like you would have to have a long delay for disarm. Is it possible to have a wireless disarm for only the garage door (but have a force arm on exit when the garage door closes) and then once you enter the house actually punch in the code to disarm?
tia,
Ron

Yeah, i havent gotten that far yet(need to bring my computer back downstairs to do the programming, no laptop here). I actually thought of that after getting the answer but I figured Id give it a try first. Usually, getting the kids out of the car and in the house is pretty quick.
Perhaps a KP in the garage would do the trick. Or if a fob could be used to open the garage door and disarm the system.

(this is just a thought I dont have a garage so I dont need to do this) but cant youset the garage door to entry/exit 2 with a longer entry delay on entry 2. and leave your other entry doors as entry/exit 1 with a normal entry delay

I had a similar decision involving my garage and finally decided just to make my garage a separate area. I'm going to install the new Arming Station next to the regular door coming into the garage from the outside for cases when I don't open the garage door to enter the garage from the outside.

My normal routine will be to arm the rest of the house using a regular keypad just inside the door leading from the house into the garage. I now have plenty of time to get into the car, open the garage door and drive out. I'm going to use the GE key fob to open and close the garage door through Elk rules. If the House area is *already* armed away then when I use the key fob to open (drive out) and then close the garage door then Elk will automatically arm away the Garage area. Upon return, if both the House and Garage area's are armed away then a Key fob button will disarm the Garage area only and open the garage door. When I finally enter the house from the garage I just disarm the House area using the regular inside keypad.

In cases where I leave or enter through the main front door using that keypad (instead of the garage) I'd have a rule that arms or disarms both the House and Garage areas at the same time.

I figured with this method there is no rush to getting in or out of the garage and any concerns over being able to disarm using a key fob is limited to just the garage area.

I haven't actually implemented this yet but I hope my logic is correct ?

.." That sounds pretty good. How does the ELK operate the garage door?"

I connected a relay on an M1RB board in parallel with my garage door opener buttons. I just have to turn on the appropriate output for 1 second by a rule to simulate pushing the opener button.

bmil said:
.." That sounds pretty good. How does the ELK operate the garage door?"

I connected a relay on an M1RB board in parallel with my garage door opener buttons. I just have to turn on the appropriate output for 1 second by a rule to simulate pushing the opener button.
FYI if you want more details on this take a look at THIS How-To.

Back