Arming the ELK when there's motion

MikeB

Trying to setup some rules from my ISY to arm the ELK.  However, the ELK will not arm if there is motion which is an issue for me.  I thought I heard that the ELK would arm itself during motion if an ELK-based rule was used but I have not tested.  In any case, this does not seem to be the case when using an ISY-based rule.

I thought about making the motions Force Armable but would rather not do that because I have other Force Armable zones that I'd prefer to keep separate so that I could easily see if they are violated before arming via a keypad.

Any other way to make the ELK be able to arm while there's motion?  Not sure the reasoning behind that.  Definitely an issue with kids and/or multiple people in the house.

Thanks in advance!

Making the zone definition "Burglar Interior Follower" may work for you.

From page 30 of the installation manual

05 Burglar Interior Follower - For motions detectors, interior doors, etc. which may be in the keypad or entry pathway.
If an entry delay zone is violated first, this zone will delay (Follow) also, otherwise it will create an instant alarm.
This zone type IS NOT ACTIVE during the STAY, STAY INSTANT, NITE, and NITE INSTANT arm modes

Mike.

Hi -

I don't believe that helps.  Some of my motions (including the ones I am testing with) are already Burglar Interior Followers.  The purpose of that is so when I walk in the door an entranceway motion doesn't trip an instant alarm before I am able to disarm using the keypad.

It would be helpful if the ELK also allowed arming while these motions are violated but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks

I see that I should have read the manual more carefully.

If you could stop all motion for a moment before arming at the keypad I think that the motion will then give you the exit delay to get out. If that isn't possible then maybe make the motion in a separate area of it's own? Then you could write a rule to arm the motion area some seconds following the arming of the main area.

Mike.

Check the force arm box and also suggest masking off the area where the motion is looking at the keypad.

As far as tracking the number of zones that you FA, you should be able to determine if something is out of line with a "normal" FA and a PIR that is tripping or not. Irregardless, a FA zone is going to be back on the system once it restores anyways, so it's really a moot point if you FA the system with a PIR faulted, it's not going to affect any other zones that are faulted and remain faulted.

For now I've decided to have my rule arm the system 30 seconds after I trigger it (using the Amazon Echo > ISY).  Kind of an exit delay before my exit delay!  Will see how that works.

Back