[Article] Finally a Wi-Fi enabled light switch for the DIY crowd (UPDATED)

electron

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you might know, I have very strong feelings towards Wi-Fi enabled light switches.  I have been wanting them for  years, and never understood why no one is making them for the DIY crowd, especially since the technology exists.  It looks like someone finally accepted the challenge and started an IndieGoGo campaign (similar to KickStarter) to get this product of the ground.

The result is the Ube WiFi multi-touch smart light dimmer.  It's a pretty sharp looking switch, and initial responses seem to be pretty positive.  It comes in 2 versions, a multi-touch version, and one with the traditional rocker.  Both versions will have a built-in motion sensor to automatically turn on the back-lighting once you approach the switch.

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these, especially with the really affordable pricing model (MSRP expected to be around $70)!

Via

Click here to view the article

Added some more specs, really excited about this switch, has a lot of potential!

If this all pans out they would be great. And the fact that they will offer an API, even better. They do look a bit deep for a normal box, but it's hard to tell from a picture.

Matt

Looks pretty nice.

2 questions:

1) How is this going to work when you have 50 or 100 of these all crammed onto a wifi router?  Are you going to need an enterprise grade setup?
2) What is standby power consumption? 

Presently, is there a limit on the home WiFi/Routers most of us have now?  Also, in association with Lou's above post, would 'traffic' to these switches happen 'only' during a change (i.e. switched or used)?

Personally, if I were to use these switches, I'd put in a separate, top shelf wifi router just for the switches and make sure it was on channel 1-3 and my "normal" wifi router was on the high channels (or vice-versa).  No way would I let data traffic compete with my light switches turning on.  Over the wire I try to segregate video traffic now on my MCE extenders by putting all of my video through one NIC on my MCE 7 "server" and the other NIC deals with normal traffic, so I don't see how this is much different.  Of course my wireless RadioRa 2 implementation has been rock solid so far so I wouldn't change over but who knows if I were to move.

David

damage said:

Wow, .005 watts.  That seems crazy small to me.

Using my Android cell phone as a comparison, it has an 1800mah battery at 3.7v that runs a similar type of hardware.  It lasts about 36 hours in standby with the cellular radio on and the wifi radio off.

1800mah x 3.7v = 6.66 watt hours.  Divide by 36 hours and I get .18 watts.  I don't know much about standby power for a cell cignal vs standby for a wifi signal, except that turning the wifi radio on dramatically shortens that 36 hours of standby.

Your cellphone is also powering a high resolution LCD, 3G/4G chipset, sound driver, monitoring of many variables, many apps running in the background, etc.

That said, I would be ok with even higher power consumption, heck, I'll install a small solar panel and use it to charge my phones, to offset the power consumption ;)

Dan (electron) said:
Your cellphone is also powering a high resolution LCD, 3G/4G chipset, sound driver, monitoring of many variables, many apps running in the background, etc.

That said, I would be ok with even higher power consumption, heck, I'll install a small solar panel and use it to charge my phones, to offset the power consumption ;)

What I meant by "standby" was the phone sitting on the counter with no one touching it or using any apps with the 4G antenna off.   I would think the only background app would be the "listening" for traffic directed to me via the 3G tower.  

But even .18 watts is very low and I would not complain one bit.  Insteon uses .7 watts.  I just find it hard to believe that the antenna could be on and listening for IP traffic and only use .005 watts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on integrating this with HAI, possibly haikuhelper, etc.    I am in the position that I am building out a new system.  I was entertaining UPB, but haven't bought anything yet.  

I know they said they were going to publish an open API, so without details I guess its hard to say.  I need around 15 or so switches... Obviously I want to be able to track status and control from one platform - i.e. I bought haikuhelper already, and I don't want to have to use a separate app for my lighting...

On a side note, my first Automated Outlet order arrived the other day (OP II, sensors, motions, etc) - way ahead of the house build, we just broke ground, but I am ready to get started.

Welcome to CocoonTech!

I know they are working with Crestron and various other companies in the industry in order to offer support for other platforms, so my guess would be that once the product launches, it will receive more support.  This is why many of us have a software controller as well, used as a glue to tie several platforms together.

I really hope they reach their goal, this is one of the first home automation related products I am truly excited about.

Thanks for the welcome... I have been a long time lurker.  I just reached out to them on their KickStarter page with a few questions.  I am OK with a slight delay in the integration, but not sure if its worth the risk on a whole house setup.  I agree its a neat product.  I may back them at 15+ devices depending on their answers.  I will share any feedback from them I get.

Back