[Article] Finally a Wi-Fi enabled light switch for the DIY crowd (UPDATED)

kaosweb said:
Looks like I will be a guinea pig. I am will be putting ~25 in a new home build with an HAI OP II. I am considering ubuiqti APs. Used them once on another project and was impressed.
How are you going to communicate to the switches from the OPII?  The HAI panels do not support sending TCP/IP commands to end devices.

JonW said:
How are you going to communicate to the switches from the OPII?  The HAI panels do not support sending TCP/IP commands to end devices.
I plan to put haikuhelper (or something similar) in between.  I am sort of taking a gamble that the integration won't be too hard and/or I will figure it out - even if I have to write some "middleware"

When doing a virtual 3-way, will the switches be linked to each other, like an Insteon?  Or will they always require a router and a controller device?  

For example, Insteon does not requiring anything else to be functional for them to behave like good old fashioned normal light switches. In other words, once 2 switches are linked together in a 3-way, there is no need for any extra device (like a router) to be working for the switches to work as a normal 3-way.  You may lose your higher level stuff, but not the basic normal light switch stuff.

Would it be accurate to assume that a crashed router results in a mostly crashed system of light switches using these switches with only the load bearing switch still running the light?  Or do they have a way to directly communicate, like say through a traveler wire or an ad hoc type connection directly between devices?

Supposedly it is true M2M tech, and it supports ad-hoc for configuration, so I would hope it wouldn't require a router for 3-way circuits.

Has anyone gotten their PayPal money back from IndieGoGo?  I still haven't received it, plus KickStarter doesn't accept PayPal, so now I have some money moving to do.  Hoping I won't be losing my spot :/

Back