[Articles] ELK announces supervised power supply

CT Droid

CT Bot
P212S.jpg
elk.gif
ELK has announced the ELK-P212S, an ELK M1 compatible (via ths RS485 bus) supervised powersupply.  Check the press release below for a detailed description and the technical specs.

The ELK-P212S is a Supervised Remote Power Supply / Battery Charger, providing 12 VDC output with up to 2 Amps of total current. It supervises the AC Power Input as well as the rechargeable Battery, and can report abnormal conditions  back to an ELKM1 Control over the RS485 four (4) wire data bus. It also features relay outputs for AC and Low Battery to allow "stand-alone" operation with other Controls (Security, Access, CCTV products, etc.). Power from the P212S  can be used to increase the capacity of a control, or to remotely power devices such as motion detectors, keypads, zone expanders, sirens, annunciators, etc.

View the full article

That is an excellent addition to the product line. I will probably pull out my Altronix power supplies and use a couple of these instead. Supervising over the 4 wire buss is a huge plus.

This is VERY smart. Saves an installer the time required to program additional zones, saves the home owner the cost of an input expansion for those zones. Looks like it offers more conditions than a relay-based system too. I bet a bunch of people will install these, then buy a M1 to monitor it.

I was curious about this feature:

Remote power reset of powered peripherals

Will it reset both 12 volt outputs or are they selective? How do you send the reset command?

When connected to M1 the 2nd relay becomes controllable as a programmable output. Just series the output power through the relay contacts and write a rule to momentarily activate that output.

How does this integrate with the M1. Does it take the programming space of 1 Keypad?

Also, is the data bus negative power common to the output power negative?

Edit: Nevermind. I *found* the manual on elks website and it does take one keypad space.

Being able to reset power through one of the relays allows the installer to have more SAUX (in addition to more aux) power remotely without running additional wiring. I had to run SAUX power a few times over the years in addition to the 4 wire buss and where I didnt I would sometimes later find I should have.

It could also be used for other applications where you need to be able to momentarily disconnect power such as a door latch etc.

Where I work we are almost ready to release a very similar unit (for use with a totally different brand of panels) as part of a whole new Commercial Fire line (can be used for Residential as well). We went about it a little differently (in some cases we had to so we meet Commercial Fire) and looking at the ELK version I think that they made some smart decisions. They seem to have kept the real estate small, the design efficient, yet give you what you need. Kudo's

Also notice it says Assembled in the USA!!

Back