Attaching window contacts

kurtmccaslin

I am working on the install of my HA/Security system and am ready to install the window contacts.   I have decided to go with external contacts to avoid drilling the window sill.   Therefore I have bought a couple of bags of Tane pills to install.  

I am looking to understand the best practice to install these self stick contacts.   Will the self stick adhesive last, or should I use a small drop of glue on them?   Any long term experience with attaching these?

I have the same contacts on my outward swinging casement windows from 11 years ago. My windows stay open literally the entire summer for the most part up until the weather gets cold.

The better contacts use a 3M VHB tape. Cheaper manufacturers use whatever, so there are some variables.

If you're worried about the foam tape drying out, a little dab of silicone will work to help it or just replace the contact when you've got an issue, we're talking $5 here.

Preparation is key, so on vinyl, use a lint free cloth and rubbing alcohol and let it evaporate before application.

Make sure you always have spare contacts around if you use Tane. Their $50-1 warranty has been used many times by us until we switched. We were using somewhere around 2-400 of them a week.

Similar to above, I've had mine installed for about 8 years now and no issues at all. I second the rubbing alcohol to clean the surface first, allow to dry, then attach the contact.

Yup... Tane pills on my windows too and after 4 yrs. they're still on the window very well. I even have them on some bare wood and those are holding up very well too.

Back