August Smart Lock

hgupta1

I got the August smart lock recently, and thought I would let you guys know my thoughts about it.  This came about because my wife actually mentioned that she wishes our house had keyless entry like her car does.   Her car keys are always at the bottom of the purse (which I hate when I need to move her car).  

First, I chose it because we live in an older home with the original door from the 1920s that uses a very pretty deadbolt from Nostalgic Warehouse.   Other smart locks or zwave locks are too ugly for WAF.    On the outside of the house, the lock looks great.  On this inside, it wasn't too noticeable due to the dark color of the door.

Pros - installation was easy.  Very easy.  The iPhone app works well as you can set the lock to automatically unlock when you approach the door from outside the house.   It doesn't automatically unlock from the inside of the house.  Also you can have the lock automatically relock the door after being opened (called everlock).  It's a good way to get your self locked out though if you step outside to take the trash out without your keys or phone :(

Cons: Everlock a good way to get your self locked out though if you step outside to take the trash out without your keys or phone :(  Also the Android app sucks.  Right now there is no way to have it automatically unlock the door, no widgets, and no tasker integration.   So I stuck my old iPhone in my car, and the door automatically unlocks when I drive up. 

Big con is that right now it is not controllable by Elk or other automation devices since it does not use Z-wave.  Just bluetooth LE.   We will have to wait for one of the new hubs to include a bluetooth stack.  I'm actually working on using Tasker and Autovoice on a spare Android phone to tie it in in with my Elk, so that I can have it arm with the alarm panel and to periodically report changes in states.  I need help though if anyone else is willing!

So right now it is kind of like the Nest -- neat on its own, but not part of an home automation system.  I bet Apple will tie it in with their upcoming Homekit.

In the end -very high wife acceptance factor.  She loves it.   I would if the company would make it more controllable with automation devices.

Pictures?

My concern with the auto-unlock is obviously security; if you lose (or someone steals your phone) they now have easy access to unlock your front door. Although not entirely different than someone stealing your keys...

I like that my Zwave deadbolt integrates directly with Elk. Auto-locking the door at night (Stay) is wonderful!

This product will fail so long as it relies on Bluetooth IMHO. 

There is simply no good way to integrate a Bluetooth LE lock, due to range constraints. You're limited to a hard 15 feet. And unlike other automation protocols, there is no way to boost the range with extenders.

This was a design choice by them - they knew they're going after people who wanted keyless entry, NOT people who wanted full home automation systems. 

They need to come out with a Z-Wave or ZigBee version. (WiFi would be great, but they can't do that so long as it remains battery powered). 

Yeah here never really liked bluetooth automation anything. 

That said though tested the bluetooth range (A2DP) a while ago; early 2000's with MS mobile and bluetooth Motorola headsets (and others) wondering around planes while traveling.  I would get bored on 8 plus hour flights sometimes.  Geez one day took apart my seat to find out about some electronics that were integrated into the seat (fascinating stuff).  I would leave my seat in the front of the plane (business / 1st class) and wonder over to the bathroom in the back of the plane while listening to my music.  Worked well for me back then.  It was more than 15 feet from one side to another.  At that time no one knew what the blinking blue lights on my headsets were all about.  Well and an option to shut off the blinking light was nice.

drvnbysound said:
Pictures?

My concern with the auto-unlock is obviously security; if you lose (or someone steals your phone) they now have easy access to unlock your front door. Although not entirely different than someone stealing your keys...

I'll try to get some pictures of the final install.  But it really looks just like the ones online.

I'm not too worried about the autounlock.  If you lose your phone, you can deactivate that phone's access by going online, which is easier and faster than a replacement key.  Also, most thieves don't know what the app even is, and probably aren't going to stop by your house after stealing your phone.   Instead, they are likely shutting the phone off so they can't be tracked by GPS.    The same can't be said about stolen keys.

Also, they still have to get past the alarm system which is separate, as well as cameras and dogs, and any other surprises that I may have in store for them. :)

I agree that Zwave is better for now.   Which one did you go with?.  If and when I get automation working with tasker,  I should also be able to automatically lock the door when the alarm is set at night.       I wanted a lock that was not easy for someone to break a pane and reach in.   This hockey puck shape lock on the interior is not intuitive to a thief like the single cylinder lock is.  

There is also the Danalock.   I may give it a try.  It is supposed to be like the August, but includes Zwave.

If we had not spent a pretty penny on these Nostalgic warehouse deadbolts, I'd have more leeway to replace locks with something more home automation friendly.  But the WAF is low on most locks.

There are going to be a ton of cheap Bluetooth LE to Wifi bridges coming on the market especially with 4.2 ipv6. Also Bluetooth mesh solutions. There are some triple play chipsets that do Bluetooth, WiFi, and 802.15.4/ZigBee. And the volumes and competition are going to enable Bluetooth chipsets to stay cheaper than ZigBee and zwave. So better start embracing it now.

I agree AZ1324.  Supposedly integration is already in the works with SmartThings, but I will wait and see.

I have been resistant to buy many home automation devices lately.  We're on the cusp of a home automation boom with Apple, Samsung, Google, Staples, and HomeDepot getting involved, and countless hubs like Revolv, Iris, MiCasaVerde,  SmartThings, and Wink.   For the most part, I want to sit out the battle and see who wins.  

But then I get lured back in with devices like Nest which are much more intelligent and beautiful than my ugly Omnistats, and I splurge with the hopes that at the least I can automate them myself with a cheap android tablet and tasker.

pete_c said:
Yeah here never really liked bluetooth automation anything. 

That said though tested the bluetooth range (A2DP) a while ago; early 2000's with MS mobile and bluetooth Motorola headsets (and others) wondering around planes while traveling.  I would get bored on 8 plus hour flights sometimes.  Geez one day took apart my seat to find out about some electronics that were integrated into the seat (fascinating stuff).  I would leave my seat in the front of the plane (business / 1st class) and wonder over to the bathroom in the back of the plane while listening to my music.  Worked well for me back then.  It was more than 15 feet from one side to another.  At that time no one knew what the blinking blue lights on my headsets were all about.  Well and an option to shut off the blinking light was nice.

Bluetooth LE has a much more limited range compared to full power Bluetooth that your headphones use. 15 feet really is the line of sight maximum. That's how the August achieves it's extremely long battery life.

az1324 said:
There are going to be a ton of cheap Bluetooth LE to Wifi bridges coming on the market especially with 4.2 ipv6. Also Bluetooth mesh solutions. There are some triple play chipsets that do Bluetooth, WiFi, and 802.15.4/ZigBee. And the volumes and competition are going to enable Bluetooth chipsets to stay cheaper than ZigBee and zwave. So better start embracing it now.

Why should we need a bridge to connect a lock, when competing locks and technologies don't need it? That seems counterintuitive to me.

hgupta1 said:
I agree AZ1324.  Supposedly integration is already in the works with SmartThings, but I will wait and see.

I have been resistant to buy many home automation devices lately.  We're on the cusp of a home automation boom with Apple, Samsung, Google, Staples, and HomeDepot getting involved, and countless hubs like Revolv, Iris, MiCasaVerde,  SmartThings, and Wink.   For the most part, I want to sit out the battle and see who wins.  

But then I get lured back in with devices like Nest which are much more intelligent and beautiful than my ugly Omnistats, and I splurge with the hopes that at the least I can automate them myself with a cheap android tablet and tasker.

Revolv is out of business, Lowes Iris tracks what you do in your house and sells your data, MiCasaVerde doesn't make their own software (they're a brand, not a product), and SmartThings and Wink are trying to keep customers within their ecosystem. You forgot about CastleOS :) 

ChrisCicc said:

Why should we need a bridge to connect a lock, when competing locks and technologies don't need it? That seems counterintuitive to me.
Well multiple Bluetooth bridges will also give you indoor positioning and ibeacon features. Bluetooth is already in every phone and tablet so it will be very widely supported. Cheap and widely available trumps counterintuitive. It might not be the only radio protocol in a modern automated home, but it will be hard to exclude it from playing some role.

Here I am not tethered to my cell phones and forward them to the land lines where I happen to be.  That is me. 

The cars already have built in telephony and I recently shut off the texting stuff that was showing up on the displays (very irritating stuff for me).  That said I can do everything with my automobiles today except for remote driving them.

The trending though is that most folks are tethered to their cell phones (well and even sleep with them) and do provide take advantage of the built in radios and "do whats" needed for automation.

that looks nice from the outside but the inside not so much.  it cracks me up that everyone and their brother is doing door locks when that's the one thing the big players have been doing well for a long time where automation is concerned.  ill stick with my kwikset keypad zwave locks

hgupta1 said:
There is also the Danalock.   I may give it a try.  It is supposed to be like the August, but includes Zwave.
I looked at those today at CES.  They have some cool features like an auto unlock that uses GPS to establish a zone that you need to get out of before it will unlock again (to prevent accidental unlocks).  Also, you can include a feature where you have to knock on your phone twice before it will auto unlock.

It's relatively cheap and a new concept that uses your existing deadbolt (this replaces the inside part that is exterior to the door).

Back