Automobile Recognition

Spudbw

I've read various threads on getting an HA system to recognize when a vehicle comes and goes and automating things such as opening the garage door from a distance. The X10 transmitter from our Aussie friend seems to be some time in the future...my wife can't wait.

I currently use a transmitter and receiver to signal to my Stargate to open the garage door when I arrive, but it uses a Visonic transmitter that only sends a toggle on/off when I start/stop my car. This is OK since I park my car in the driveway. My wife wants the door to open as she is driving to the house, >50'.

Does anyone know of a transmitter, 12v or battery, that could be set up to start transmitting when the car starts and stops when the car stops? Or a better solution that doesn't use RFID or driveway cams/sensors/keyfobs/ds10a/etc.?

Appreciate all ideas.

Thanks

Dennis

It really depends how handy you are, but this can be accomplished.

Take a look at the second methodology listed HERE (the second schematic/method described).

This will give an "on" signal every couple of seconds and an "off" signal for a few seconds after the car is turned off.

I combine this with Ocelot and HomeSeer code to detect the presence of our two vehicles (home/away) plus announce when I am home (over 300 ft away and gives about 30 seconds of warning in a 15 mph community).

I can post the Ocelot's C-Max ladder logic code as well as the HomeSeer codes if anyone would like.

The obvious problem with this solution for your request is it broadcasts common X-10 which is undesirable for controlling a garage door.

BUT, there are kits that have rolling codes with transmitters and receivers that you can connect to a digital input of your Stargate. You could then "hack" into the transmitter and see if you can simulate the button push with the relay in my circuit so it is pressed every couple of seconds.

I was going to try incorporating a rolling code kit into my project, but just don't have the time right now.

Also, there is a very inexpensive kit from AllElectronics.com with two transmitters and one receiver (I believe something like $25) that will give a contact closure at the receiver. They have very good range and could also be incorporated into this project. Of course they are not rolling codes, but again, not common X-10 signals.

Good luck and keep us informed on whatever solution you employ.

Oh yea, Welcome to CocoonTech. :)

BSR

Thanks. I saw that post, but as you said, it uses X10. The transmitter/receiver pair I use to signal car start/stop uses a unique code sequence between them to insure security. I'm not into security enough to know if the same-type pair exists with continuous signal. The other advantage is that it's mostly hidden under the dash and it's purpose is not obvious to car jackers/et al.

I'll continue research and let you know. In the mean time, since I'm larnin' VBS, I'd appreciate a look at your referenced HS code.

Thanx

Dennis

Thanks for the suggestions.

I already use Jim's car sensor. It only transmits once when the car is started and once when it stops. The other option with that set-up is to have it transmit every 3 minutes..not a high WAF. Same with RFID Rupp, even the long distance ones are 6-8' out, requiring a wait while the door goes up.

If my eyesight and soldering skills were MUCH better, I'd just hack a keyfob or opener and find some way to get a fast open/close for the button press.

Sigh....

Dennis

Spudbw ,
I think you better go study up on the RFID link I posted. Several users are getting anywhere from 50 -300 feet from this system. This is a long range RFID system not the more common short range. I've read where some users get a couple of houses away and see the door start to come up and lights turn on. Very high acceptance factors for everyone involved. Another neat thing about the long range RFID is you can use the tags to tell if the garbage has been taken out or if your favorite tool box has left the premises. There's a lot of uses for this system.

I use a simple motion sensor under my steering column (Where there is constant movement), and I get 50-100ft easily and works perfectly. I even wrote a How-To on it:

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=52

As for the RFID stuff, I have heard many complaints about iAutomate, both in the chat room and forums, so I hope this is something that has been improved by now.

Dan,
Peter who is the lead contact of the RFID is doing this hobbiest business on the side and has been installing the system at one of the largest prison's in the US. This is keepin him really busy. He does from time to time lag on his responses but always comes through when he has time. As you know bulletin boards can be the complaining grounds for many products but I would dare say that all that have worked with Peter would recommend him. He's a good guy who is too busy for on the spot support.

Rupp said:
He's a good guy who is too busy for on the spot support.
I understand his reasons (being a busy guy myself) and I don't doubt he is a good guy, but for the kind of money he charges for his product, that statement rather concerns me. Anyways, this is not a thread about iAutomate or Peter, just wanted to make sure that all facts are known. Back to automobile recognition ...

Back