AVS 8x8 Matrix Switcher

BraveSirRobbin

Is THIS matrix FINALLY available? Has anyone ordered one?

I say Rupps post HERE on the HS Boards, but for some reason I can't reply over there (maybe they got tired of me and disabled my account). This is what prompted this post here as everytime I asked about this unit it was said to be unavailable.

I put in a request to Ray on Home Automation Controls site, I guess I'll see what happens. Just curious if anyone had any other info

I think for the money one could make a "poor man's" whole house distribution system using this unit as the backbone.

BSR,
You can't reply to the for sale forum. I've been in contact with Ray for weeks and last I heard he said he was having problems with his overseas supplier and it would be a while before they would be available. I ws hoping someone had one they no longer used.

Not trying to sound too critical here Rupp, but if you are asking if anyone has one they want to get rid of, AND they can't reply to that forum where you posted the question, well ... ;)

On HAC's website this statement was shown (placed there today actually):

June 15,2005
I finally received my last shipment of assembled boards from my last assembler.
I need to test and put into metal boxes.
These last assemblies will be sold at the current price of US$199.00
I will be using a bigger company in the future for assembly but
labor cost will go up by at least US$25.
This will result in future price being US$224.00 each
(I will not make profit on labor increase)
first come, first serve
Watch for pay now button over the next few days!

This should be an interesting product and I'm thinking about purchasing one myself.

Good point BSR but I thought if anyone had one they would contact me via my email. That was a good find on Ray's web site. I've gotten tired going to the site looking for the buy it now image. ;) If you see it before I do please let me know.

Greg

I'm looking into making a "poor man's version" of a whole house audio distribution system (can't afford a Russound Cav 6.6).

Yes, I know Rupp, did you get my PM? I PM'd you when I got Ray's Email so you would know as I remembered you were interested in this as well.

So, who is going to provide the plugin?

Yes I got the PM but I fail to check that from time to time so now I see it. Ray sent me an email so I ordered one the minute they were available. I haven't heard anything back though.

I thought about doing a plugin but after talking to David Kindred the author or the ABS8x8 I'm not sure. He stated it was a nightmare communicating with the unit due to some timing issues? I'm not sure I understand why but when I get the unit in I'm going to attempt to write one.

Rupp:

I suggest bouncing this off of our resident serial interface (among other things) expert smee.

I wouldn't leave this to Mr. Kindred also as he sounds like he is very busy with other projects as well.

I myself am not rushing into this one. Will wait and see how this turns out. I may hold out for a Russound in the future. A LOT more expensive, but I believe may have the benefits that merrit the cost.

Regards,

BSR

PS: What do you mean you don't check your PM's all the time! ;)

Rupp said:
I thought about doing a plugin but after talking to David Kindred the author or the ABS8x8 I'm not sure. He stated it was a nightmare communicating with the unit due to some timing issues? I'm not sure I understand why but when I get the unit in I'm going to attempt to write one.
If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I looked at the spec), the serial communications are not particularly difficult. However, there is a lot of handshaking going on and the time between characters needs to be controlled (e.g., send command, wait for it to be echoed). I expect that in using it with HomeSeer, it would probably be best handled using a plugin instead of a script.

I was also looking into this. I ended up building my own instead. I have a little more control and don't need to worry about the communications as much. Mine is also easier to work with using scripts - one of my goals. Of course, mine cost more ;).

Back