Basic Elk Wiring question

So if you don't have them 'in the field' then you still need them at the panel right? How do you wire them in at the panel? It seems messy to just have a splice with a resistor in it. Isn't there a board of some kind you can wire the zones through that don't have EOL in the field?

I woudl agree with you. If the wiring is in the wall somebody has to go through a hell of a lot of trouble to disable your system and then there's still PIR's to deal with once inside...hahaha after the PIR are somehow disabled there's my 20lbs crazy cat that will make a lot of noise...

How would you open up a wall from the outside anyway? Cut into the siding with powetools when you don't even know where the wriring is OR if the home owner has or has not used EOL's.....

I would much prefer to not have the EOL in the field if that prevents a splice (read 'potential trouble') in wall.

EOLs in the panel are a waste of a perfectly good resistor and time hooking it up. It is only done by lazy installers who don't want to do it right and in situations where the panel requires it. The Elk can be easily programmed to not use EOLs so do not put them at the panel. You can search for EOL and you will find several informative and more detailed threads.

If you have an Elk, and want EOLs at the doors and windows but don't want a splice, you can get sensors that have the EOLs built in!

t-1948-1717.jpeg

You can find them HERE.

The resistors in these sensors are exactly what the Elk needs for supervision.

Back