Basic question

hhnew

Is it advisable to use a lamp module on a dimmable halogen torchiere or should I stick with the appliance module I've been using for two years? I would love to get rid of the click and be able to dim the lamp but don't particulary want to burn the place down.
TIA,
HH

I definitely would not use the lamp module with any kind of halogen lamp. If you want to get rid of the click, you could probably get one of new smarthome app modules Martin sells, which are much quieter (or supposed to be at least).

No, the cheap x10 lamp modules won't work with halogen lamps. I just tested one to verify that. My guess is that the noise from the device kills the signals.

Not, sure if the more expensive ones will work but I doubt it since they don't advertise that they will.

The better switches will work on halogen though.

Electron is right though that the Smarthome appliance modules will work and they are 80% quieter than the cheaper X10 modules.

I assume that a Zwave appliance module would also work. Does anyone know if they are any quieter than X10s or about the same?

I'll have to do some searching, but I once read a post about re-wiring a halogen lamp to make it X10 dimmable... I don't know if the guy succeeded, though.

The better switches will work on halogen though.

I take this to mean that the better dimming switches will work ? What about all dimming options[ie. ramp speed, preser dims,ect]? Will they work?

DRB

Yes, all of those features will work.

Let me also clarify this a little. If the halogen lights use magnetic transformers, it will work fine as is. If the halogen lights use electric transformers, you will usually need to also install an in-line filter. The size of the filter will depend on the fixture.

. If the halogen lights use magnetic transformers, it will work fine as is. If the halogen lights use electric transformers, you will usually need to also install an in-line filter.

How do you know what type of transformer is in your light? I bought a replacement ceiling fixture with a halogen bulb.

Would you be able to saftly try a switch without damage to either the switch or fixture?

Thanks DRB

Back