Basic questions about Elk and wireless

daggeth

Home security is my main goal and I might start dabbling in some lighting and other HA controls later on. The Elk system is what I'm leaning towards going with and since I have a house with no pre-existing security wiring, I'd like to go with wireless sensors. I'm a little overwhelmed after all the reading I've been doing and I have a couple things I can't track down a good answer for. To give a little more info on what I'm working with, the house is single story, about 3700sqft and I will be redoing the drywall in a couple of rooms.

1) Should I install the main panel as centrally located as possible because of the wireless setup, or is the signal strong enough that can I install it in a more preferred location? Or, do they have "access points" like a wireless computer network would have that would allow me to increase signal strength to the whole house?

2) I plan to one day hook this up with some sort of software that would run an HA setup. If I plan on doing this, can I forgo the voice/telephone call out capabilities of the M1 Gold series and use the software to alert me by cell/txt/email when a fault occurs?

One of my main problems has been trying to find my security, HA and software packages all at once but from what I've learned it seems you need to get your hardware straightened out first and then find a software solution. Since the security is the most important aspect for me, and seems to be the most expensive, I figured I should nail this area down first. If I'm wrong or any of you have better suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

TIA.

welcome to CT, Daggeth.

Here's what I find confusing from you. The very first thing you say is home security is your main goal. Then, your second question mentions forgoing the call out capabilities of the M1. Are you planning on having your system monitored? Let me say, as a victim of house burglary within the past year, MONITOR IT... and preferably, get cellular monitoring so there are no lines for burglars to cut outside your house that could disable any monitoring you may have. I've had the Uplink ANYNet for a couple months now and LOVE IT. Now let me see if I can address your questions a little...

1) hmm.. let me start by saying that no, there are no "access points" like a wireless computer network. However, the Elk can support up to 4 (I think) wireless receivers and resolve the collisions on it's own. Additionally, these receivers work on the databus, so don't necessarily have to be close to the main panel if you are willing to run one wire to it. So it appears you have several options:
a) install the Elk in a central location. install a wireless receiver right next to it.
:) install the Elk in a preferred location. install a wireless receiver in a central location and run a single wire between the receiver and the main panel (if possible)
c) install the Elk in a preferred location. install multiple wireless receivers in locations around the house that you can run single wires to as well as guarantee coverage within the whole house.

2) as mentioned earlier... by no means forgo the telephone call out capabilities... the whole point is to have the thing monitored. that being said, the elk can send an email from the ethernet expander or call you from the voice dialer if you like. if you plan on having a software monitor it in the future, that's fine, and you'll have to get a software package that specifically handles the elk, but please don't skimp on security. i took a similar approach when i first started in this field, concentrating first on automation (for the "cool" factor) and worrying about security second... and i learned my lesson. security first, security first, security first.

i apologize if it sounds like i'm ranting... i'm in a rather bad mood today anyways (missed out on a free trip to Jamaica). but welcome to the boards and I hope you find all the answers you are looking for. it's a great group of people.

Thanks for the reply DeL, you're right, not monitoring the system takes away half of its usefulness. Are you suggesting having an outside company monitoring this, or just having the Uplink ANYNet call you when a sensor trips? What I'm aiming to do is have software monitor the system and then send me an email, preferably, that will have a somewhat verbose description of what was triggered than a generic "zone 4 sensor is going off". If I have the software running on a computer sending me an email/txt or calling me on skype I didn't figure I needed the ELK to do it also.

I get your point about the cell out though being significantly more secure than a normal land line. That's certainly something to think about.

Sorry about the trip, hope your day gets better from here.

well, unfortunately, the ANYNet can't call you... it works over cellular data connections, so you'd have to get a company like NextAlarm to monitor it for you. In fact, that my solve your problem all the way around. I have NextAlarm monitor my system via the ANYNet, and they send emails on everything that is happening on my system all the way down to who armed and disarmed the system based on communications from the ANYNet. This might be exactly what you are looking for, plus save you the cost of a software solution.

I think that's exactly what I'm looking for and the price from NextAlarm is just right. I've read nothing but positives about them also. Also, this allows me to keep my security system and any sort of Internet connected HA setup completely separate if I want. Thanks for the info DeL.

Don't mean to thread hijack, but one question I have and I'm sure you'll have as well, is what Wireless receiver is the most recommended?

Should one purchase either:

A. The GE NX-548E and use the Elk cable to connect it to the M1G.

B. The new ELK-M1XRF2G.

The NX-548E isn't limited to just the 319.5MHz Crystal based transmitters that the ELK-M1XRF2G is but it has to use the ELK-WO35A wiring harness to connect to the pannel and only one NX-548E can be used. The ELK-M1XRF2G uses the Elk M1G databus and can be located anywhere you can run a Cat-5 or 6 cable to (if you are using the fancy datahub like I am). You can also use multiple ELK-M1XRF2G units.

So here's the question: If you are using only 48 or less wireless zones, what's the best solution? Is the development effort going to strongly encourage the ELK-M1XRF2G use (notice that it uses a different series of firmware to support and that one will choose their firmware based on either the GE NX or M1XRF2G choice)?

i can't recommend one way or the other. i use the Elk wireless receiver. i think a major difference is that Elk will be updating the firmware (including one recently which eliminates false alarms triggered by corrupted packets) whereas I have no idea if the GE receiver can receive firmware updates. but if you are already using the databus hub, why wouldn't you go with the Elk receiver?

Take a look at the installation manual for the M1XRF. It says the Elk Controls must be operating applications firmware 5.0.12 or higher in order to work with the M1XRF Receiver. It goes on to state not to update controls connected to GE "NX" wireless receivers to 5.x.x firmware. It appears to me that, unless ELK intends to implement a dual-track upgrade program, I will be doomed to a dead-end system if I choose to go with the GE receiver.

Why go with the GE receiver? It is less expensive than the ELK receiver, and the GE works with SAW transmitters which are also less expensive than the crystal transmitters ELK specifies for use with their receiver.

The only wireless application I expect to use in my soon-to-be-purchaced ELK system is a couple key fobs to remotely arm/disarm the system. In order to assure compatability with future firmware, I tentatively decided to spend the extra bucks and go with the ELK receiver.

Take a look at the installation manual for the M1XRF. It says the Elk Controls must be operating applications firmware 5.0.12 or higher in order to work with the M1XRF Receiver. It goes on to state not to update controls connected to GE "NX" wireless receivers to 5.x.x firmware. It appears to me that, unless ELK intends to implement a dual-track upgrade program, I will be doomed to a dead-end system if I choose to go with the GE receiver.
I cannot speak for Elk, but I have seen no evidence that Elk intends to abandon the GE wireless. The 4.x and 5.x versions have been released in parallel, with the only difference being the choice of wireless. I assume this was due to insufficient firmware room to support both in one code base. Very similar to the way they have custom versions for the XSP serial expanders. In other words, I believe they ARE on a dual track program.

Currently, ELK supports both versions of receivers, the GE and the ELK. All M1's today are factory loaded with the 4.x.x software for the GE receiver. The 5.x.x software must be loaded in the field to support the ELK Receiver. In the very near future factory loaded software will be the 5.x.x versions and you will have to field load the 4.x.x version for the GE receiver.

The 5.x.x ELK receiver software version freed up a lot of memory that will be used for future enhancements. Due to memory constraints, some of these feature may not be able to be implemented in the 4.x.x software version.

Other wireless protocols may be implemented in the future in the 5.x.x version only.

Currently, ELK supports both versions of receivers, the GE and the ELK. All M1's today are factory loaded with the 4.x.x software for the GE receiver. The 5.x.x software must be loaded in the field to support the ELK Receiver. In the very near future factory loaded software will be the 5.x.x versions and you will have to field load the 4.x.x version for the GE receiver.

The 5.x.x ELK receiver software version freed up a lot of memory that will be used for future enhancements. Due to memory constraints, some of these feature may not be able to be implemented in the 4.x.x software version.

Other wireless protocols may be implemented in the future in the 5.x.x version only.

Hmmmmm I guess I should budget for the ELK Receiver in the next year or so in case another "cool" feature comes out that I want.

Noticed that Elk has already released another firmware for the M1XRF2G today. With that fast paced development I am also in favor of going for the Elk receiver.

FWIW, I have not considered adding wireless devices to my M1 system at this time. However, everything I've bought from ELK has been of such high-quality that, when the time comes, I would definitely choose ELK's wireless receiver.

Aside from a minor little glitch with keypad-beep volume (submitted to ELK and in the queue for correction), everything works precisely as described. I'd say you just can't go wrong with their products.

PS
I'm not on ELK's payroll ... just a satisfied customer.

Back