Belden 7916A vs 1694A

What are you intentions for this wire? I was under the impression that solid copper core was only desired for security camera applications and that regular/cheap copper clad was fine for cable TV distribution.

This is something that I thought I had also read many times before - to use solid copper core wire for video distribution such as CCTV or Composite/Component video. If the signal is encoded, as most cable/satellite signals are, I didnt think the mode of transport really mattered - if its a digital signal its either there or its not :)

That is what I though as well. I have read that the size of the wire does make a difference. The frequency of the data on cable and satellite broadcasts "fits" better on an RG-6 wire vs a smaller coaxial wire. But I didn't think copper cores vs clad made as big of a difference.

Solid copper would make a difference on analog signals, so if you are going to use it for Componant video, Composite video, or Audio signals, then I might worry more about it. Honestly though, the 7916 should be great for anything you are trying to do in a residential environment. I ran tons of 7916 when I built, and it has been fantastic. I have cable tv and Internet, and have used it for both video and audio distribution without any problem.

Personally, I would not spend the extra money on the expensive stuff.

I considered going the Belden way as full but couldnt stomach the price. I went with Monoprice Quad shield 3ghz solid and have been happy with it. There is plenty of other items to spend your money on.

Back