Best Choice for Lighting Control

One thing I never understood on hardwired systems is how you handle things like lamps... is there a hardwired lamp module? Also what about loads that don't behave well with dimmers? Are there regular relay modules available in addition to the solid state relays in the Centralite wiring panel?

upstatemike said:
One thing I never understood on hardwired systems is how you handle things like lamps... is there a hardwired lamp module? Also what about loads that don't behave well with dimmers? Are there regular relay modules available in addition to the solid state relays in the Centralite wiring panel?
Mike, if you are asking about table lamps, you can wire in electrical outlets. I also have all my bath fans on the Centralite system so I can control those also.

As far as the SSR goes, they use Crydom. Centralite specifies changing out the dimming SSRs with On/Off only ones for loads that are not dimmable, such as fluorescents.

They are nice relays, I'm planning on using some more I bought off of eBay with my Elk system.

Brian

For lamp use with dimming you can use Lutron lamp receptacles (NTR-15-DFU) along with the replacement plug (RP-FDU-10) and wire it in just like any other light load. This is what I did on my last Centralite install and a previous Radio RA installand it worked well.

Herdfan said:
dealsinva said:
Like you, I'm reluctant to homerun HV, but there really doesn't seem to be any perfect option.
Just out of curiosity, why are you reluctant?

Is it because once you do it, you are stuck with using a "system"?
Yes, that's my reluctance -- just "non-standard" by traditional design. If something better comes along or if PLC gets more reliable (my hunch is based on your signature you would argue that point now), then I have a cat5 behind the switch instead of HV.

Interesting point about table lamps / switches. So individual switches can be homerun back to the Centralite headend just like lighting. Makes for more planning! And pardon my ignorance, but the Lutron lamp receptacles you mentioned -- I assume this still requires the same homerun wiring? If so, what does the Lutron module do for you?

The 96 load Centralite installation -- was that a Litejet or Elegance install?

dealsinva said:
The 96 load Centralite installation -- was that a Litejet or Elegance install?
It's an Elegance system, I believe 48 loads is the max for Litejet.

I should also mention the Centralite is setup to control UPB, you just need to plug a UPB interface into one of the Centralite controllers serial ports. At that point the UPB switches look and are programmed just like the standard system relays.

Brian

Brian,

The Centralite website is really pretty lame -- can't get at any of this sort of stuff on there. Thank God for this spot...

So you're saying that I can control UPB switches with an interface? I assume you mean that one interface can control one switch? Or one interface can control multiple switches? Is there any sort of wireless interface option as well that would allow it to work with, say, the Centralite Starlite system? Trying to think about my ability to add on in the future....

They have all the documentation on their site. You probably skipped by it because it's labeled "Dealer Login".

Here is a link to the UPB interface, I don't know the limit but I'm sure it's more than 1 and less then 255 :)

Here is the link to all the documents.

Brian

dealsinva said:
If something better comes along or if PLC gets more reliable (my hunch is based on your signature you would argue that point now),
Actually I need to change my signature.

I have abandonded Insteon and am in the middle of a Lutron Homeworks Wireless install. I looked at Starlite, but the decorator police vetoed the look of the keypads and that they aren't available in black (Gotta have black ones in the kitchen).

If I were building a new house today, I would not hesitate to go hardwired. Based on my Homeworks experience, I would go with Lutron.

Yes its different but so are many HA concepts. And you can always bury some HV switchlegs in the walls from the fixture to the switch location for future use if needed.

Just a couple of things. First in regards to HV homerun, I don't think that it is as limiting as it seems. If you homerun your HV and decide that you don't like the automated system for what ever reason you still have tons of options. In fact I have seen an install where the guy home ran all his HV and still used I-line switches. Link There is also the old school "dumb" relays that many people have had in their houses for 30+ years. I spoke with one guy who has used a system like this for many years and he loves it.

My $4500 was for a 48 load litejet system uninstalled. The install is pretty straight forward and they even provide a DVD install guide. Your electrician really shouldn't have any trouble installing and testing the centralite system.

I am planning on traditionally wiring the outlets and using UPB controlled outlets for lamps. This will allow me to control any lamp from any switch in the entire house.

HTH,
Chris

Wow Chris, that is one impressive wall of switches..

It's sort of a shame that there are no "in-line" modules that could be mounted in a junction box (near the light), say in the attic to the lighting load. This way one could go into the attic to replace that module if needed (i.e. switch to another system).

Brian,
I have read the Centralite info and it says to replace the relays if you want to use a non-dimming load with the Elegance system.
I plan on using the LiteJet system and also want to hook up the bath exhaust fans. However, I can not find any info for LiteJet and non-dimming loads. I do not think you can replace the relays like the Elegance system. Do you have any info about how to do this with LiteJet?
Brian

brian8515 said:
Brian,
I have read the Centralite info and it says to replace the relays if you want to use a non-dimming load with the Elegance system.
I plan on using the LiteJet system and also want to hook up the bath exhaust fans. However, I can not find any info for LiteJet and non-dimming loads. I do not think you can replace the relays like the Elegance system. Do you have any info about how to do this with LiteJet?
Brian
In the LiteJet glossary it says: "CL24 relays can turn on and off any electrical device(as long as the power draw is within the relay rating)"

It looks like they don't recommend (or you can't) changing the relay.

Brian

ctay said:
There is also the old school "dumb" relays that many people have had in their houses for 30+ years.
How about 50+ years. ;)

My neighbor has a Touch-Plate low-voltage system that was installed in the early fifties. I maintain it for her, and I can still buy the relays and keypads here.

The main point: Home-run for high voltage IS pretty standard.
I had a CentraLite installer look at the system, and LightJet is a drop-in replacement, without any rewiring outside of the can. The only problem is that she has a 36 load Touch-Plate system, and the LiteJet only comes as 24 load or 48 load. We did not look into Elegance yet, as the Touch-Plate is working fine for the moment.
I can not find any info for LiteJet and non-dimming loads. I do not think you can replace the relays like the Elegance system. Do you have any info about how to do this with LiteJet?
My information comes third hand (factory to dealer to me to you), but I was told that you simply program a load to not dim. Elegance is not this easy, simply because it is older. Here is an excerpt from the manual:
The LiteJet uses solid-state relays which are capable of dimming incandescent, magnetic low voltage, and some electronic low voltage lighting fixtures. CL24 relays can turn on and off any electrical device(as long as the power draw is within the relay rating).
There are optional boards for fan control, as well.

rocco said:
ctay said:
There is also the old school "dumb" relays that many people have had in their houses for 30+ years.
How about 50+ years. :D

Yeah, I knew they were old, just didn't know how old! ;) The guy I talked to has only had his since the 70's so I figured that 30+ was a safe #...

rocco said:
ctay said:
I can not find any info for LiteJet and non-dimming loads. I do not think you can replace the relays like the Elegance system. Do you have any info about how to do this with LiteJet?
My information comes third hand (factory to dealer to me to you), but I was told that you simply program a load to not dim. Elegance is not this easy, simply because it is older. Here is an excerpt from the manual:
The LiteJet uses solid-state relays which are capable of dimming incandescent, magnetic low voltage, and some electronic low voltage lighting fixtures. CL24 relays can turn on and off any electrical device(as long as the power draw is within the relay rating).

I have read that section of the LiteJet instrctions and was pretty sure it would be able to control the exhaust fan. I also just planned on making if a non-dimming load via programming.

I was just wondering what the Centralite method would be with a LiteJet sytem as the manual does not mention non-dimming loads, but the Elegance manual does.

Back