Best Choice for Lighting Control

brian8515 said:
I was just wondering what the Centralite method would be with a LiteJet sytem as the manual does not mention non-dimming loads, but the Elegance manual does.
The LiteJet PC programming manual describes a check-box in each load setup dialog to set the load as "non-dimming".

I was also told that I could wire a load to an outlet (actually, a half-outlet), if the local code allowed it, in order to control a table lamp. But the recommendation was to program it as "non-dimming", in case someone plugs in a vacuum cleaner.

More third-hand information, regarding fans:
In a bathroom, I needed a fan. I considered just hardwiring it, but then I would have had to use a two-gang box to add a conventional switch next to the LiteJet keypad. I decided to control the fan with the LiteJet, just so the fan could be on the same keypad as the lights. I asked if I needed a FSCB (Fan Speed Control Board), and was told that I would use a Fan Speed Control Board only if I wanted speed control, as with a ceiling fan. If I only wanted to turn the fan on/off, I could use one of the 24 dimmer loads, programmed as "non-dimming".

Thanks rocco.

I also had entertained the idea of putting the ceiling fan on the homerun and just not having speed control.

I knew thst you could easly program a load as non-dimming. Just wondered if it was a frowned upon technique.

FWI, I have opted for the SquareD/clipsal C-bus system. In the middle of it now but I think I am going to like this system.

Are you in the US? Where did you get your C-bus stuff? I haven't heard of anyone stateside getting that yet (but I've been busy lately...)

ctay said:
Are you in the US? Where did you get your C-bus stuff? I haven't heard of anyone stateside getting that yet (but I've been busy lately...)
Purchased through a SquareD dealer and my sparky. Waiting on the Pascal controller and keypads but the dimmers and panels are in. Can't wait to play more and get it integrated into CQC.

Edit.. yes I am in the Chicagoland area. If you need some contacts at SquareD let me know.

Hy Guys

Theres also (at least here in Oz) some wireless CBUS kit for retofits....So you will probably see something in the near future...Theres also a CBUS Mutli zone audio switcher ...(which i use) .......

http://tinyurl.com/38gdt7

The Pascal Automation Controller allows you to do logic control ...In my case i use Homevision connected to CBUS via a CBUS PC Interface..

HTH
Frank

FWI, I have opted for the SquareD/clipsal C-bus system. In the middle of it now but I think I am going to like this system.

I'm headed down the same road as you C-bus with CQC. I looked at Lutron, Litetouch, Vantange and Centralite.

Are you using the Saturn switches? Can you give me a feel for prices? I have info coming from the group in Florida, but don't know if I can wait that long! ;)

I'm headed down the same road as you C-bus with CQC. I looked at Lutron, Litetouch, Vantange and Centralite.

Are you using the Saturn switches? Can you give me a feel for prices? I have info coming from the group in Florida, but don't know if I can wait that long! ;)

6 button Saturn's were about $250 and the Saturn DLT was around $350.

E,

Thanks for that info. That seems to be in line with the Lutron and LiteTouch prices.

Did you consider Lutron, LiteTouch, Vantage and Centralite? What made you go C-bus and CQC? I've done alot of homework and would love to compare notes with you.

Thanks!

Wow, all that copper on the home runs has got to be pricy...
Not necessarily. I saved a lot of Romex with a home-run system.

I have a open floor plan on one floor of my remodel. The room has four entrances, and would have required a number of 4-way circuits. I would have needed multiple runs of 3-wire+ground Romex to circle the room if I wired it the conventional way. By using the LiteJet, I cut my required Romex length in half, and eliminated the 3-wire Romex altogether. Of course, it was at the expense of the Cat5 to the switch-boxes. I was also able to eliminate all multi-gang switch-boxes. I had the advantage of a pretty central wiring closet, however.

Mine was the same way, Rocco. Very open floorplan on the first floor, and four exits to the lanai. All would have had four way switches. Now, it just has a keypad in each location. Builder hasn't said they'll be any change for the electrical. My LiteJet panel is pretty central, too, so there's a lot less copper that would have to go to the front corner of the garage where the regular electrical panels are. My guess is we used about the same copper as traditional wiring.

Kevin

Are you using the Saturn switches? Can you give me a feel for prices? I have info coming from the group in Florida, but don't know if I can wait that long! :unsure:

E,

Thanks for that info. That seems to be in line with the Lutron and LiteTouch prices.

Did you consider Lutron, LiteTouch, Vantage and Centralite? What made you go C-bus and CQC? I've done alot of homework and would love to compare notes with you.

Thanks!

I also looked at Lutron,Litetouch, Vantage and Centralite...I choose Cbus due to it's maturity and backing by Sneider/SquareD. I also had very good response from their sales and engineering folks who have been out numerous times to assist with this project. I love the keypads and the look of the forthcoming communicating thermostat.

It was also a huge boon for me to have a CQC driver available now.

Back