Best motion sensor to connect to Elk for home automation

cyberk

Hi!

I purchased some VI-PET motion sensors thinking to use them for home automation (occupancy sensors) but am finding them to be horrible. I've adjusted them to 1 pulse but it's almost like they stop working or go to sleep, no idea why. I'm guessing it has to do with the pet immune functionality but that is just a guess.

The point is, I don't even want to spend time troubleshooting them, I'm done!

What wired motion sensors do you suggest for home-automation?

I have 9 foot ceilings, the mounting locations will be corners at about that same height. I'm planning on using these in the following locations

1. garage (long range detection preferred)
2. hallway (at least 10 feet detection, >90 degree angle preferred)
3. stairway (~12 feet from ground relative, > 90 degree angle preferred,

I also purchased some Visiontek Spy2 motion sensors that I installed in ceiling. I'm stupid and didn't realize these were narrow beam and not even meant for ceiling installations. The result is you have to literally walk underneath the motion sensor for it to trigger. The goal for these was a very non-intrusive, recessed ceiling mount to catch areas like

1. Kitchen: 360 degree preferred, low range, maybe 4 feet?
2. Living Room: 5 feet, 60 degree
3. TV Room: 5 feet, 60 degree
4. Dining room: 5 feet 60 degree

I can attach a floor plan if you guys think it will help. But my immediate goal is to purchase some good motions for the garage, hallway, stairway.

You are correct mikefamig, in this case, I'll be building the logic in an ISY. It would be nice to find something with good occupancy logic but I haven't done any research on that

Leviton has a wide selection of occupancy sensors.to choose from

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=62893&minisite=10251&LEVCOMP_pses=ZG7D39BBA704527DA006375DD58AE0473165DB7B4B6E042CBF1BAC246B5A9D1F66876FD04C6981B828CB786A7C88210314863D26B1914D0A16

When the automatic light on one of my overhead door openers died. I installed one of these and now the lights go on not only when the door opens but whenever someone enters the room. It even knows not to go on in daylight and has a manual push button over-ride switch. I'm very happy with it.

Mike.

Basically, it sounds like you need a "PIR" with fast response - something which a typical security PIR does not have, especially when set to three pulses.

I too want something similar - I use the PIR's now more for occupancy sensing rather than security.

Keen to find a solution as well as I use mine with CQC/M1 and lighting quite a lot. Typically though I use mine for sensing when the room is empty and then turn the lights off.  I do have some cases where its the other way around and the ones that are used to turn on the lights are slow as you have found.  I use C-Bus lighting (Clipsal/Schneider) and they do have occupancy sensors for light control which I can use with CQC just as easily - but not cheap.

Mick

Here purchased a case of the Risco ceiling mounted PIR's which I utilize for occupancy today. 

They work fine for me. 

I did get a bulk deal on these a few years back.

Risco

riscocelingPIR.jpg

mikefamig: I don't think the Leviton sensors have alarm outputs. Without alarm outputs or someway to get the ELK or ISY to see it, I can't use it

nelbok: you are correct, it would be great to have the occupancy logic built in and I suppose I *could* hack one of the leviton ones with a relay, but I really don't want to hack anything

Pete_c: where did you buy them? I've used the DSC bravo line in the past.

drvnbysound: loo

drvnbysound said:
Check out SensorSwitch. I don't remember the model(s) off hand, but I know they have occupancy models with LV connections for connecting to an alarm.

Looks like they do and they support sound detection and integrate a photocell too.

This would be great for the bedrooms and even garage but the price is also up in the clouds.

http://www.sensorswitch.com/OnlineCatalog.aspx

This is the model I found
CM PDT 9 R P

KLC said:
mikefamig: I don't think the Leviton sensors have alarm outputs. Without alarm outputs or someway to get the ELK or ISY to see it, I can't use it

I don't remember the model number but my Leviton does have a NC switch that I can wire to an alarm system zone.

Mikre.

KLC said:
mikefamig: if you could find a model number that'd be great. I looked through all the documenation, could not find a LV relay output
Look at the instruction sheet pdf file on this one. I'm not sure that it is the exact model that I bought but it does have an NC switch. It runs on line voltage but is also available in a LV model.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=ODC10-UDW&section=62893&minisite=10251

Mike.

EDIT

I did not use the NC switch in my installation but it is apparent in the instructions that there is one on the unit. I would give Leviton a call before choosing and buying one. I talked to them at the time and they were very helpful with choosing the sensor for my application.

I just found the instructions to my occupancy sensor and it is a Leviton ODCxx-MDW the same as the one that I linked to above.

Mike.

Back