Best PIR wired pet friendly sensor for occupancy?

etc6849

I'm looking at installing an Elk M1G system in my home. I haven't done this before, so I'm not sure what a well known brand would be for a wired PIR that meets the numbered criteria below.

The plan is to install PIR's in several rooms to control a Vizia RF+ lighting system. Since this is the PIRs sole purpose, I'm looking for a PIR that:

1. will instantly change state (i.e. no time out period between triggers like most wireless solutions do; this is a must for occupancy sensors)

2. has a low current draw (I'm assuming all wired PIR's meet this requirement) as I want to run Cat6 23 AWG cable; such cable should be able to withstand ~700mA for each run; I'm wiring each motion sensor to it's own zone so that room by room occupancy can easily be tracked by Premise

3. is pet immune, yet sensitive enough to trigger the instant I walk into a room

4. is known to have very few or no false detections.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks, reading the instructions for these, nice detector!

Where is the ISMBLP1P made? The detector looks nice online, but just want to make sure it's not cheaply made...

Also, do these re-trigger instaneously or is there some delay period? I couldn't find any info on this the instructions; thanks :p

I've had similar great experience with the Rokonet Dual Technology Pet Immune detectors. They never failed to pick up even my 60lb little sister; we had 5 false alarms in 3 years - 4 due to cats climbing too high in front of them, and one due to a mylar balloon 5 ft in front of the detector while the heater kicked on. They picked up every movement from 30+ ft away, and almost any angle.

I've also heard great things about the Bosch ones Photon recommended; I'll be considering those as well if they're at least dual technology. There's also one brand (HAI?) who's making quad-tech - dual microwave and dual PIR - you have to trip all four. I'll be evaluating these for my purposes.

I've used the GE Security RCR-PET dual-tech motions for years and find them to be one of the most reliable, false alarm free motions available. I have used them in both commercial and residential installations, including my own home.

From what I read on the Bosch Blue Line PIRs last night, they don't have dual technology until you get up into the pro version :p Is dual technology a must because the GE detectors are nice, but they are $10+ more a peice...

1. Will the 5.8ghz the GE RCR-PET uses as a radar interfere with my 5.8ghz wireless N network at all?

2. Does the GE RCR-PET have a timeout period where it will not trigger anything for x seconds? (sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm used to the cheap X10 detectors that do this to save battery life)

3. The distance setting on the GE RCR sounds useful. How well does it work?
Can I really set it to 9 feet and walk 10 feet in front of it without setting it off; that would be really neat if it was as accurate as the literature claims.

4. Anything like the GE RCR-PET for outdoors too?

From what I read on the Bosch Blue Line PIRs last night, they don't have dual technology until you get up into the pro version :p Is dual technology a must because the GE detectors are nice, but they are $10+ more a peice...

Dual tech is not a must, it simply makes the motion detector more reliable and less likely to false alarm since both technologies must be triggered to cause an alarm/

1. Will the 5.8ghz the GE RCR-PET uses as a radar interfere with my 5.8ghz wireless N network at all?

I do not know.

2. Does the GE RCR-PET have a timeout period where it will not trigger anything for x seconds? (sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm used to the cheap X10 detectors that do this to save battery life)

No, it does not. Timeout periods are used with wireless devices to conserve battery power over time.

3. The distance setting on the GE RCR sounds useful. How well does it work?
Can I really set it to 9 feet and walk 10 feet in front of it without setting it off; that would be really neat if it was as accurate as the literature claims.

It works quite well + or - about a foot. I have used it to cover an open area that required a "walkway" on one side.

4. Anything like the GE RCR-PET for outdoors too?

Rokonet makes a nice outdoor dual tech but it's about $140.00 +. I've not used Rokonets much but they have a great rep. I personally am not a big advocate of outdoor motions as it is just too hard to keep the covered area free of potential false alarms.

Thanks russban, I appreciate you taking the time to respond again. I'll be ordering 10 GE RCR-PET's very soon; although they seem pricey, they do have added features to make up for it. I also like the opague lens that block natural light.

Is $27 per detector a good price? Any place that would consider a volume discount on them if I ordered more than 10?

I use the Bosch DS835i motions. They are pet immune but if the cats get high enough and close enough they will false. Proper planning is key to a low/no false alarm count.

Thanks for the additional suggestions everyone. The DS835i looks insteresting and is the same price as the GE RCR-PET. I like the looks of the honneywell dual tech the best, but the lowest price I found online is $49 each... I plan to add 12 motion sensors so this project can get overly expensive if I'm not careful :( I plan to run extra conduits into the attack so that I can add more later though.

The two detectors I'm looking at now are the Bosch DS835i and the GE RCR-PET; any comments on differences?

I'm kind of torn between the two, and need to order in the next few days.

Back