Best preactices for UPB switch to control 1/2 hot outlets

robolo

Planning a new construction UPB install. Plans call for 5 half hot receptacles to be controlled by a single wall switch in the bedroom (for floor lamps).

I understand that code restrictions do not allow a dimmer switch to control receptacles. If I use a UPB switch in on/off mode to control these outlets what power rating of switch should I use? 600W, 1000W, or something else?

Planning a new construction UPB install. Plans call for 5 half hot receptacles to be controlled by a single wall switch in the bedroom (for floor lamps).

I understand that code restrictions do not allow a dimmer switch to control receptacles. If I use a UPB switch in on/off mode to control these outlets what power rating of switch should I use? 600W, 1000W, or something else?

I'm pretty sure the switch must be capable of controlling the same load as the circuit breaker, or more, so if its on a 15A circuit, then the answer is a 15A capable switch, or 1800W. HAI makes some relay switches that should work.

There are also some Lutron outlets that have special receptacles designed to only permit plugging in the lamp you have hardwired with the special matching plug. My understanding is that these will meet code for your purpose.

Check Lutron NTR-15-DFDU-xx

(xx for several iterations of these outlets)

There are also some Lutron outlets that have special receptacles designed to only permit plugging in the lamp you have hardwired with the special matching plug. My understanding is that these will meet code for your purpose.

Check Lutron NTR-15-DFDU-xx

One thing to be aware of... according to the spec sheets, the UL listing on those is void if they are used with a non-Lutron dimmer.

robol...read this thread I started back in June dealing with some lessons learned on this subject.
US240 switch meltdown, Lesson learned

Wow, that is exactly why the electrical code is in place. Very good lesson. I am helping my friend with this install and everything needs to behave like an ordinary homeowner would expect. No limitations on what to plug in where. I think ano's answer is probably what I needed. Control the outlet with a full amperage rated UPB switch. As with a normally switched outlet, if they want dimming for a particular floor lamp it will need to be a something downstream from the wall outlet.

What about the UPB controlled outlets where only one is controllable and the other is hot all the time?

I keep waiting for someone to come up with a UPB-controlled lamp socket that can be retrofitted into a standard table lamp.

What about the UPB controlled outlets where only one is controllable and the other is hot all the time?
In this particular location there will be 5 1/2 hot outlets to be controlled by a single switch. Much less expensive to have the switch be UPB rather than each outlet be UPB. I actually will be using the individual UPB outlets in some other locations.

In this particular location there will be 5 1/2 hot outlets to be controlled by a single switch. Much less expensive to have the switch be UPB rather than each outlet be UPB. I actually will be using the individual UPB outlets in some other locations.

As ano stated, your only option is most likely going to be the HAI 40A00-1 which is a true 15A relay.

To keep things cheap, my plan is to wire a European outlet right above my normal outlets. Then I only have to put Euro plugs on the lamps I am plugging in. Sure it won't meet code, but no one that I know of carries a converter in their pocket so it should keep any stupid mistakes from happening. Being a completely different plug I think is a better solution than the $30 Lutron ones that someone could force something else to work on.

To keep things cheap, my plan is to wire a European outlet right above my normal outlets. Then I only have to put Euro plugs on the lamps I am plugging in. Sure it won't meet code, but no one that I know of carries a converter in their pocket so it should keep any stupid mistakes from happening. Being a completely different plug I think is a better solution than the $30 Lutron ones that someone could force something else to work on.

Good luck with that. While it may seem like a acceptable solution the codes are there for a reason.

Good luck with that. While it may seem like a acceptable solution the codes are there for a reason.
Safer than the Lutron outlets IMO.

Controlled outlets only sound like a good idea. The code related issues highlight the safety problems. Relay outlets help with the safety issues, but highlight why you really dont want switched outlets to begin with. In most cases, it's a lamp that needs to be controlled. What good is a lamp if it cannot be dimmed. The solution, in my opinion is plug in modules.

I have a couple of rooms that were wired with split outlets when built. When I added UPB I simply replaced the wall switch with a US2-40 and left the load side unconnected. Inside the switch box I wired the the split outlets to always be hot (easily reversible, btw). Then, a lamp module was added to each lamp in the room and links were assigned to them and the US2-40 for control. It's a bit more expensive than just the US2-40 but it's also more flexible. The US2-40 can, depending on the switch plate, control more than just the lamps in the room. The lamps in the room can even be moved around and still maintain their connection to the wall switch.

I dont care much for relay outlets for similar reasons. I dont feel that it's the outlet you want to control, rather it's the thing plugged into the outlet. Unless the outlet is dedicated to a special purpose (outdoor lighting perhaps?) I'd rather have an appliance module that I can move around.

I'm gonna add a +1 to the idea of making the outlets always on and using lamp modules instead. That's what I've done to the few switched outlets in my house. The Lamp module gives flexibility as others have mentioned; as well as the obvious safety.

Changing the ends of your lamp cords and special outlets just seems like it's asking for trouble - and it's more to undo when it's time to sell the house.

Back