Best preactices for UPB switch to control 1/2 hot outlets

To keep things cheap, my plan is to wire a European outlet right above my normal outlets. Then I only have to put Euro plugs on the lamps I am plugging in. Sure it won't meet code, but no one that I know of carries a converter in their pocket so it should keep any stupid mistakes from happening. Being a completely different plug I think is a better solution than the $30 Lutron ones that someone could force something else to work on.

Good luck with that. While it may seem like a acceptable solution the codes are there for a reason.
Safer than the Lutron outlets IMO.

Cheaper maybe. Safer... who knows. The whole idea around the lutron plug is that you can't plug in a standard plug due to the little bump. Seems pretty fool proof to me.

Also, I would never install something that is not UL rated as a means of electrical distribution in my home. Others may be willing to take that risk.

If you ever move, just don't forget to take them out. ;)

To keep things cheap, my plan is to wire a European outlet right above my normal outlets. Then I only have to put Euro plugs on the lamps I am plugging in. Sure it won't meet code, but no one that I know of carries a converter in their pocket so it should keep any stupid mistakes from happening. Being a completely different plug I think is a better solution than the $30 Lutron ones that someone could force something else to work on.

Good luck with that. While it may seem like a acceptable solution the codes are there for a reason.
Safer than the Lutron outlets IMO.

Cheaper maybe. Safer... who knows. The whole idea around the lutron plug is that you can't plug in a standard plug due to the little bump. Seems pretty fool proof to me.

Also, I would never install something that is not UL rated as a means of electrical distribution in my home. Others may be willing to take that risk.

If you ever move, just don't forget to take them out. ;)
Exactly why this is SAFER than the Lutron, on top of that IMO CE >> UL when it comes to safety.

I'd love to see you put a normal plug into one of these:
100px-CEE_7-17_plug_and_socket.png

Back