best Price cat5e

english_1969

I need to purchase about 12000 feet of cat5e cable.

Does anyone know of the best place (price) online to purchase this much?

So far, the best price per ft I've found is .07/ft.

Thanks.

I'd actually recommend not buying the least expensive cable you can find. The cheap stuff seems to kink up more, doesn't pull through holes or along other cables as easily and even the jacket will tend to get damaged more easily.

I usually stick with Belden or Liberty Wire and everytime I do try a new "less expensive" cable I always find myself cussing.

You may have to spend $300-400 more for better cable, but with as much as you're pulling, I think you'll be glad that you did?

Cheers,
Paul

I am in Raleigh, NC.

I do agree with not getting the cheapest is terms of quality. I would like a balance. I've pulled a bit of cable at previous houses and no really had any issues with lower cost cable.

I have been pulling wire for 10 years. I have used Belden, Liberty, Signal , and every other magor brand of wire. This wire from Bafo Technologies for 48$ a box is the easiest pulling cat5e i have used yet. I think if is because of very thick flexable jacket........ i like boxes better then roles and don't forget no more then 30 pounds of pulling force.

Is the $48.00 for cat5e or cat5? And is that for 1000 FT.

Where is that from and I also would like to know the shipping.

Thanks!

I find it hard to believe someone has quality cat5e certified to 3 Ghz for $48/1000 feet with the price of copper these days. I was spending at least $60 for a local place that is very low cost.

In any case - English - look at this place. They sell the Bafo product on their site (listed at $82) but they say they give quantity discount and they are located in Raleigh and you can pick it up instead of shipping, but there will be sales tax instead.

Or, you can look at this thread and may find a place. My local guy is Keystone Wire and they ship orders over $500 for free (at least he used to). The price a few months for an individual box was around $70 but things change daily and it may be worth giving Nick a call. I know they use imported bulk wire but I have not any problems with around 4 boxes so far.

Or check with Martin - he said maybe he could help.

Wireguy,

Are you testing the cable you linked at Gigabit speeds, or at 100mb? Looks like the cable is only CAT5 and not CAT5e? The product title and description seem to be contradictory about its rating...

You may be getting good test results on the Validator at Gigabit on short runs, but would be interested if its testing above 100mb on longer runs too?

Cheers,
Paul

pkoslow said:
Wireguy,

Are you testing the cable you linked at Gigabit speeds, or at 100mb? Looks like the cable is only CAT5 and not CAT5e? The product title and description seem to be contradictory about its rating...

You may be getting good test results on the Validator at Gigabit on short runs, but would be interested if its testing above 100mb on longer runs too?

Cheers,
Paul
I have 6 boxes of Category 5e Enhanced cable.............

It is printed on the box and on the wire :) .........

The last job i did i pulled 4000ft of this Bafo Cat5e wire and tested it at gigabit speed and it passed.

Wireguy, what do you use to test your wire? I don't have access to the high end professional cable testers but it looks like you can get decent prosumer (?) quality testers for around the $600 range. I have a 3500 sqft house that I have to run a ton of cat5 or cat6 in that has to support gigabit.

The wire you linked def doesn't look like cat 5e so at a min those guys need to update their descriptions on their web page... If it worked well for you I may buy a couple thousand feet for my house...

ctay said:
Wireguy, what do you use to test your wire? I don't have access to the high end professional cable testers but it looks like you can get decent prosumer (?) quality testers for around the $600 range. I have a 3500 sqft house that I have to run a ton of cat5 or cat6 in that has to support gigabit.

The wire you linked def doesn't look like cat 5e so at a min those guys need to update their descriptions on their web page... If it worked well for you I may buy a couple thousand feet for my house...
I use the Test-um Validator to certify all of my installs.

Back