Bought a house have an Omni Pro 2 lots of questions

First of all this forum has been so helpful, I've been searching it for weeks. I'm the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner had no idea how to use the system other than the thermostat and security. He said the first owner controlled it via iPad.

I believe I have figured out what is all installed.

1- OmniPro II in the white metal box with backup battery

1- HAI OmniTouch Touchscreen Hub w/Video Encoder in a white metal box (I was told the video encoder doesn't work and it would cost $600 to fix)

3 - Hai 3.9 inch touchscreens (32A00-5?)

3 - Motion sensors

10 or so - window and door sensors

1 - Analog Camera at the door (That doesn’t appear on the touchscreens)

1 - Hai thermostat (RC-112B?)

1 - Russound CAA66 (which from what I can tell is not connected to the OmniPro) Can this been connected via Cat5e?

1-  Greyfox intercom cat system in 12 areas with the doorbell intercom. (which from what I can tell is not connected to the OmniPro) Can this been connected via Cat5e?

The house has at least 3 coaxial cables and 2 cat5e cables ran to each room, most have never been used; still bare. Seems like they ran home runs to the utility room and some rooms have more cat 6 and coaxial going to other areas (still unknown). (It’s a maze, still trying to figure it out. 100+ cables not marked)

The questions if you guys would be so kind to help!

The security camera: I found the coaxial ran to the video encoder in the utility room  (has a composite end on it) and I have verified it does output and work, but the touchscreens don't show the camera. The video encoder board is connected. I've plugged it into the input on the board and have a output going to a TV, this does display the camera. What is my next step? Is there something that needs to be setup from the touchscreens for it to appear? Do I have a bad board?

I have to DLINK 932L wireless IP cameras, can these be setup in the system? I read the 5.7e screen can but I didn't see anything about the 3.9 screens. If so How?

On the touchscreens I have the lighting option but nothing shows up in it. Does this confirm that I don't have a HAI 36A00-1 UPB Powerline Interface Module? Do I need the module with the ProII version? If so is it as simply as connecting the module to a power plug and the cable to the serial board then install the switches? (I'd like to have the porch lights ran by the system.)

I'm planning on getting the PC Access software. Is it as simple as connecting the Omni via network cable to my router and installing the software on my computer?

How do I tell if my Omni board can have firmware updated via network cable instead of the chip?

Once the cameras are setup; how can I have the doorbell (GreyFox intercom door bell) trigger the screens to show the front door camera?

I'd like to get snaplink for my android phone, other than having the Omni plugged via network cable to my router, anything else I need to do? Any other options, cheaper?

I've programed rules for the temperature in the house via the touchscreens (change temp at this time etc) but the Omnistat doesn't seem to care. I can change the temp and use hold on the touchscreen and it will work, but other than that the omnistat seems to run its own program. The omnistat does say remote on it. Any tips on this?

I've found some very thin wires by the front door and in the garage both are in electrical boxes in the wall. They look the same as the security system wires going into the Omni box. What would have been the purpose to have one right next to the front door about 4 feet from the ground up on the wall and one right next to the garage door close sensors?

Thanks for any input!!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:605]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:604]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:603]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:602]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:601]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:600]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:599]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:598]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:597]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:596]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:595]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:594]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:593]

On the touchscreens I have the lighting option but nothing shows up in it. Does this confirm that I don't have a HAI 36A00-1 UPB Powerline Interface Module? Do I need the module with the ProII version? If so is it as simply as connecting the module to a power plug and the cable to the serial board then install the switches? (I'd like to have the porch lights ran by the system.)

There is no "lighting option." Lighting control is built into every Omni Pro II. But it will control many types of lighting systems.  Do you have X-10 or UPB or ZWave light switches?  To get it to work, depending on which lighting technology you use, you only need an interface which typically connects to the serial ports on the top on the Omni circuit board. They look like phone connectors. Is there anything plugged into the to three jacks?  If under the "Control" section nothing shows up, its likely not enabled.

I'm planning on getting the PC Access software. Is it as simple as connecting the Omni via network cable to my router and installing the software on my computer?

Pretty easy to install. There is two versions, the cheaper "user version" and the more expensive "dealer" version. The better version lets you see more setup items, like zone programming.

How do I tell if my Omni board can have firmware updated via network cable instead of the chip?

Look on the top. Does it have three serial ports or five serial ports. Likely three which requires new chips. On the chips in the center of the board they will be marked with the version. The firmware upgradable version just has empty sockets.

Once the cameras are setup; how can I have the doorbell (GreyFox intercom door bell) trigger the screens to show the front door camera?

Assuming it supports all that, you can do it with programming which you do with the PC Access software. You can do it from a console, but its not fun.

I'd like to get snaplink for my android phone, other than having the Omni plugged via network cable to my router, anything else I need to do? Any other options, cheaper?

If you have an iPad or iPhone, get Haiku. Its the best. There are some other third party software out there also. HAI/Leviton is usually expensive and doesn't work well, so if there is an alternative, I'd look into that.

I've programed rules for the temperature in the house via the touchscreens (change temp at this time etc) but the Omnistat doesn't seem to care. I can change the temp and use hold on the touchscreen and it will work, but other than that the omnistat seems to run its own program. The omnistat does say remote on it. Any tips on this?

Not likely the Omnistat is running the program, most likely the Omni is. Get the PC Access software.

I've found some very thin wires by the front door and in the garage both are in electrical boxes in the wall. They look the same as the security system wires going into the Omni box. What would have been the purpose to have one right next to the front door about 4 feet from the ground up on the wall and one right next to the garage door close sensors?

Keypads.

If you have 3" TS you have a older system, we need a picture to help any further.
I'd be willing to bet you do not have an internet connection, the picture will tell if your system is X10 based

Here is couple pics, thanks!!
CJW-PIC said:
If you have 3" TS you have a older system, we need a picture to help any further. I'd be willing to bet you do not have an internet connection, the picture will tell if your system is X10 based
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:597]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:598]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:599]

ano said:

There is no "lighting option." Lighting control is built into every Omni Pro II. But it will control many types of lighting systems.  Do you have X-10 or UPB or ZWave light switches?  To get it to work, depending on which lighting technology you use, you only need an interface which typically connects to the serial ports on the top on the Omni circuit board. They look like phone connectors. Is there anything plugged into the to three jacks?  If under the "Control" section nothing shows up, its likely not enabled.
Nothing is connected, from my research seems like the UPB would be the easiest. So I need the UPB Powerline Interface and then the switches to go along with it?
ano said:

Pretty easy to install. There is two versions, the cheaper "user version" and the more expensive "dealer" version. The better version lets you see more setup items, like zone programming.
I've noticed on the board one plug looks like RJ45 and says ethernet above it, is this where I would plug in the network cable to the router? If I do this now, can I access the system via IP address with a web browser?
ano said:

Look on the top. Does it have three serial ports or five serial ports. Likely three which requires new chips. On the chips in the center of the board they will be marked with the version. The firmware upgradable version just has empty sockets. 
There is total of five ports 3 then a space then another 2. I have attached a picture above.
ano said:

Assuming it supports all that, you can do it with programming which you do with the PC Access software. You can do it from a console, but its not fun.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, get Haiku. Its the best. There are some other third party software out there also. HAI/Leviton is usually expensive and doesn't work well, so if there is an alternative, I'd look into that.

Not likely the Omnistat is running the program, most likely the Omni is. Get the PC Access software.

Keypads.
I've attached a picture of the front door the touch screen is on the right wall and this random box with wires is inches right of the door. Would they do a keypad and a touchscreen so close?

You do have an older panel. You have 3 serial ports, 1 internet connection and 1 x10 Port. The 2 long chips you will see a number, 2.6, 2.9, etc. printed on one chip that will be your firmware version. You can not log in to the panel vie the internet you must use PC Access. The reason you can't is you must know the encryption codes to use the internet. To log into the board serially you must know the boards master code and the installer code, each code requires 4 digits. If you don't have any of the above you must send the board into HAI.

UPB is pretty easy. As you say, you start with a transceiver and some switches. You may then to add a UPB bridge in your breaker panel.  The price of switch can add up, otherwise, its not bad and UPB is very flexible and reliable.

Yes, the RJ45 is a regular Ethernet cable. The smaller 3 are RS232/RS485 ports. The one on the other side is X10.

I'd get updated firmware chips if your not recent. Its maybe $40. 

Now you need the master codes. If you don't have that, I'd contact the former owner. Otherwise its a big pain.

CJW-PIC said:
You do have an older panel. You have 3 serial ports, 1 internet connection and 1 x10 Port. The 2 long chips you will see a number, 2.6, 2.9, etc. printed on one chip that will be your firmware version. You can not log in to the panel vie the internet you must use PC Access. The reason you can't is you must know the encryption codes to use the internet. To log into the board serially you must know the boards master code and the installer code, each code requires 4 digits. If you don't have any of the above you must send the board into HAI.
I was able to get the keys, ip address, and user code. I don't have the PC access yet but I tried a 3rd party Superlink software that didn't repsond. My version is 2.13 is that firmware high enough for PC Access, I noticed Snaplink says I need 3.2 at least.

Any version is high enough for PC Access, but you will really want to get to version 3 or higher for a whole ton of reasons.  The biggest is that I don't think any of the modern touch device (iPhone, iPad, etc) apps work without it.

Since you have the chip upgrade version, get over to Home Controls or other HAI dealer and order the latest firmware.  It should run you around $50-$60 bucks.  While you are there, get the Dealer level PC Access software.  This is also crucial to getting things up and running the way you want.

If you have the encryption keys and the IP address, that's all you need to take over the system from the network.  If you were connecting PC Access via one of the serial ports you would need the installer code.

Relating to your combo HAI Omnitouch hub and video hub stuff.

...these have been discontinued and you might be able to find a new or used one relatively inexpensively.  Have you personally tested the video hub? 

That said here I am using IP and legacy cameras and have the video hub tapping into my CCTV server such that I am using it for the legacy Omnitouch screens.  The IP Omnitouch screens are using the same cameras via IP and newer HD IP cameras.

I ordered the upgrade chip from my understanding it should be at least 3.11 firmware, are these just plug and play? I was able to get my hands on PC access dealer than upgrade to PC access 3. I've been watching the webinars on coding, looks like my order firmware only supports one command of code per a block. I can't wait to get the new firmware so I can have many triggers and whens.

I loaded the dealer software; wrote a code to control the omnistat, tested it and it works great. Tried to do the take out the trash and it didn't work. I think my firmware might be the issue for that though.

I couldn't figure out how to choose what motion sensors are active for the security modes. I know away they are active but I'd like the night mode to have my lower level sensor active and garage sensor active. Any thoughts?
neillt said:
Any version is high enough for PC Access, but you will really want to get to version 3 or higher for a whole ton of reasons.  The biggest is that I don't think any of the modern touch device (iPhone, iPad, etc) apps work without it.

Since you have the chip upgrade version, get over to Home Controls or other HAI dealer and order the latest firmware.  It should run you around $50-$60 bucks.  While you are there, get the Dealer level PC Access software.  This is also crucial to getting things up and running the way you want.

If you have the encryption keys and the IP address, that's all you need to take over the system from the network.  If you were connecting PC Access via one of the serial ports you would need the installer code.

I've been searching not much luck for a resonable price. How would I test the hub? I've tested the camera and it works, I've plugged the camera into the hub and outputted the camera to a screen and that works. I've taken the video encorder board off and reinstalled it, making sure all the pins are aligned. What else could I do?

Speaking of the 3.9 inch screens, when I left to work one of my screens wasn't lighting up, it would beep but nothing more. It was last used yesterday evening before bed.
pete_c said:
Relating to your combo HAI Omnitouch hub and video hub stuff.

...these have been discontinued and you might be able to find a new or used one relatively inexpensively.  Have you personally tested the video hub? 

That said here I am using IP and legacy cameras and have the video hub tapping into my CCTV server such that I am using it for the legacy Omnitouch screens.  The IP Omnitouch screens are using the same cameras via IP and newer HD IP cameras.

element2050 said:
I ordered the upgrade chip from my understanding it should be at least 3.11 firmware, are these just plug and play? I was able to get my hands on PC access dealer than upgrade to PC access 3. I've been watching the webinars on coding, looks like my order firmware only supports one command of code per a block. I can't wait to get the new firmware so I can have many triggers and whens.

I loaded the dealer software; wrote a code to control the omnistat, tested it and it works great. Tried to do the take out the trash and it didn't work. I think my firmware might be the issue for that though.

I couldn't figure out how to choose what motion sensors are active for the security modes. I know away they are active but I'd like the night mode to have my lower level sensor active and garage sensor active. Any thoughts?

For the upgrade chip, yes it's plug and play.  Careful with the DIP package, make sure you don't bend the pins.

For your security sensors, do you have a copy of the installation manual that describes all of the different zone types?  You will need to change the zones for your downstairs motion to "Night Interior" and your upstairs to "Away Interior".  That way when you arm the system for "night" it ignores the upstairs sensor, since it will only be on in an "away" mode.  You can also programmatically bypass certain zones with a button press that can enable or disable zones, then arm the alarm.

I sure do appericate the help, from guys like you helping me out I'm finally starting to get a hold of the terms and options! This makes more sense, I noticed in PC access the zone list of sensors has the Away Int next to the motion sensors. I don't see a choice for Night and Away though. I want the lower level on when armed away and armed night. I might have to arm as away and bypass the upstairs sensors it sounds like.

I wonder if I could  write a code that when armed as away after 10PM bypass all the upstairs motion sensors? Or is this possible when armed as night "enable" (Not sure if the command is there) the lower level motion sensor?

Since we are on the zone subject, all my doors are selected as X4 entry X2 entry X4 entry any idea what this means?
neillt said:
For the upgrade chip, yes it's plug and play.  Careful with the DIP package, make sure you don't bend the pins.

For your security sensors, do you have a copy of the installation manual that describes all of the different zone types?  You will need to change the zones for your downstairs motion to "Night Interior" and your upstairs to "Away Interior".  That way when you arm the system for "night" it ignores the upstairs sensor, since it will only be on in an "away" mode.  You can also programmatically bypass certain zones with a button press that can enable or disable zones, then arm the alarm.

I've been searching not much luck for a resonable price. How would I test the hub? I've tested the camera and it works, I've plugged the camera into the hub and outputted the camera to a screen and that works. I've taken the video encorder board off and reinstalled it, making sure all the pins are aligned. What else could I do?

Well if you can see an analog camera to a screen that is good.  Are you referring to an Omnitouch screen or just a video monitor connected to the pass through?

The video encoder just talks to two wires on the omnitouch connection.

Speaking of the 3.9 inch screens, when I left to work one of my screens wasn't lighting up, it would beep but nothing more. It was last used yesterday evening before bed.

I never really played much with the 3.5" screens, reversed the power to it and busted it, then I updated some smd chips and started to play with the firmware and bricked it.  It could be that you just need to replace the LCD screen on yours if it beeps?

I originally liked the tiny basic footprint of the screens.

Back