BrandonStapp's Install

Side Shot, siren is disconnected right now. went off at 3 am for a false alarm, and i havent re-connected it yet ... :)

HPIM0333.jpg

The body, still a wreck and all out of order. i am in the process of shifting everything so i can put in the data bus hub and move the battery over to the left can.

HPIM0330.jpg

Relays controlling HVAC and door locks

HPIM0329.jpg

overall shot of right can

HPIM0328.jpg

Both cans open, dont mind the blue wire, it is only temporary while i was running some tests with HAL

the red wire is also temporary, i was using it for some testing ...

HPIM0338.jpg

two cans closed the third can is in the garage.

HPIM0337.jpg

i use 66 blocks for everything. cant you tell i love telco?

HPIM0334.jpg

The relays really are wired, and i really am anal about my wires ... I SWEAR!!

HPIM0332.jpg

more photos another day ... :D

okay, enough of you guys complained, so i worked on it for a few hours ...

battery "re-located" most wires re-run, DBH installed. :D

HPIM0340.jpg

pretty color coded DBH

HPIM0341.jpg

there's that battery! :)

and notice, no more hanging wires, i re-ran the HAL lines, and moved the "other" hanging wire into a wire channel. all gone!

HPIM0342.jpg

overall

HPIM0343.jpg

at your request, the light switch setup. this is my bedroom, all the other bedrooms are getting a six button switch setup. there will be no more than two light swiches in a box. currently i have locations that have up to four. just looks too cluttered for my tastes.

HPIM0345.jpg

Do they make doors that open opposite directions? I bet that would make maint much easier, especially in tight spaces....

Brandon,
Nice job!

With all those enclosures, I think Martin should buy you a bigger house!!! :)

It's a good thing I've got nice looking screens, b/c my wiring is horrifically ugly compared to that. How you managed to do that is beyond my comprehension. Great job.

hey guys, please post comments in my comments thread, otherwise i wont see them until i post more photos.

Hucker: the doors will fit on to either side of the can, i put them on that way to make the ELK can harder to pry open.

David: i am adding another enclosure in about a week and pulling out the rack that is in there ... :(

IVB: that is my UGLY setup, i will be posting new photos mid to late next week of my POST tear out wiring ... i tore out the whole wiring in the house last week and re-did everything.

i did mention that i am OCD right? :D

quick update before i tear out all the ducting, i re-wired the whole house. all new wires everywhere, no CAT-5e, i used 18/2 EVERYWHERE!

i also installed the first of three battery backups. i took photos of the other can, and a better shot of the input zones, but for the life of me i cant get the camera to transfer them ...

HPIM0367.jpg

Please post comments in my comment thread, if you post here, i wont see them for about a month ... :ph34r:

brandon, can you explain your installation of the databus hub? it doesn't look like you have anything connected to the screw terminals on the dbh which i thought was supposed to be the connection to the main panel.

not a problem, the CAT5e in the first terminal with a green boot is a patch cord, i connected the RS485 DB to one end, and plugged in the other. i try to avoid the screw terminals as i cannot ever seem to get the wires to my liking ...

Brandon and others,

I was wondering what brand your 50" enclosures are and how do they compare in sturdyness, overall quality, and cost to the Elk enclosures?

Is 50" the largest available?

I was hoping to use the multipurpose 3" Adapter Plate (ELK-SWP3) for mounting the Elk expansion cards. Will this work well with the non Elk enclosures?

I have a 14" and a 28" Elk enclosure but was thinking about maybe going with something larger instead of several Elk cans.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian

I was wondering what brand your 50" enclosures are and how do they compare in sturdyness, overall quality, and cost to the Elk enclosures?

channel vision is the brand, high quality is the type ... ;)

Is 50" the largest available?

yep

I was hoping to use the multipurpose 3" Adapter Plate (ELK-SWP3) for mounting the Elk expansion cards. Will this work well with the non Elk enclosures?

you must not have seen my photos, i am religious in my use of the SWP3, it is the only way to keep things in order ... :p

I have a 14" and a 28" Elk enclosure but was thinking about maybe going with something larger instead of several Elk cans.

you got the right idea! the bigger the better, i am about to install a fourth 50" enclosure.

Thanks!
Brian

Anytime!

Back