BrandonStapp's Install

IVB,
I think you are referring to the ELK SWP and SWP3 Plate. It has holes in it for some of the ELK Boards or you can drill your own holes for a custom PC board. It mounts to many of the structured wiring metal cans. SWP and SWP3 Information.

And i was wondering why, when IVB's voice/pc interface modules arived in the mail, one of them had all this sticky stuff on the back!!!!! Now i know, he didn't know these existed. However, Spanky, the Elk-120 doesn't play nice with those plates... If you loko atmy thread, you can see only the top holes would align so i have it on an angle...

And i was wondering why, when IVB's voice/pc interface modules arived in the mail, one of them had all this sticky stuff on the back!!!!! Now i know, he didn't know these existed. However, Spanky, the Elk-120 doesn't play nice with those plates... If you loko atmy thread, you can see only the top holes would align so i have it on an angle...

those modules dont all align with the SWP3, i had to drill a few holes to get things in there right. but it is only soft sheet metal, so it drills easily. :(

I was look here to compare and get ideas and saw a photo of one of the M1 boards (two boards stacked on each other using stand off's) and the data bus connections.

You appear to have paired up the cat5 conductors so that all eight are used. While this is fine (and is recommended in some systems such as C-bus), you appear to have made a fundamental mistake. You appear to have paired the colour and its tip colour (with white stripe). By pairing the blue with the blue/white you have negated the noise rejection (in the twisting of the cable) aspect of the cable.

If you want to join cores you should join say blue and orange on the V+ and the blue/white and orange/white on the V-. Obviously it does not matter for the + and - of the bus, but it is more important on the data cores for the bus.

As I mentioned, pairing cores is recommended by C-bus, and along with that is the recommendation that it be done as I mentioned.

Just thought I would mention this

Mick

I was look here to compare and get ideas and saw a photo of one of the M1 boards (two boards stacked on each other using stand off's) and the data bus connections.

You appear to have paired up the cat5 conductors so that all eight are used. While this is fine (and is recommended in some systems such as C-bus), you appear to have made a fundamental mistake. You appear to have paired the colour and its tip colour (with white stripe). By pairing the blue with the blue/white you have negated the noise rejection (in the twisting of the cable) aspect of the cable.

If you want to join cores you should join say blue and orange on the V+ and the blue/white and orange/white on the V-. Obviously it does not matter for the + and - of the bus, but it is more important on the data cores for the bus.

As I mentioned, pairing cores is recommended by C-bus, and along with that is the recommendation that it be done as I mentioned.

Just thought I would mention this

Mick

yeah, i am aware of that, but thanks for the heads up. when i installed most of my equipment at the last house, it was only in there as a "band-aid". Before everything was ripped out to go to the new house it was all re-done with The W018b the CAT-5e was only temporary while we were waiting on the part from ELK, so i didn't spend much time on it.

<- Network Admin for two years ... :ph34r:

Hi Brandon,

I'm pretty new to all this but looking around to get ideas for what to put in a new house I'm having built next year (2008).

I think you said the large cans you are using are 14" wide, presumably this is a standard to allow them to fit between studs?

The thing i noticed is that you mounted the vertical panduit runs on the side of the can which makes it hard for wiring to get into the panduit. Is there enough space in the can to mount the vetical panduit runs to the back of the pannel (like you did with the horizontal run under the M1)? I assume there is not enough space for that (propbably interferenace with the holes) otherwise somebody OCD like you would have done that.

If i surface mount a can i would have no restriction due to the wall studs. Do you know of any cans that woudl have sufficent space on the 'outside' (i.e. left of the left vertical row of mounting holes and right of the right row of holds) to have full height vertcial panduit rans and still be able to mount the various boards such as you show in your pictures?

As part of my work I see a lot of industrial motor control panels which are always meticulously oraganized with panduit everywhere...i would like to achive the same for my house but obviously don't have the space for 10' wide panels.

Felix

Back