Brultech: Multiplex Cable

dutchyn

I notice that Brultech has posted about a multiplex cable allowing up to two additional ECM-1240 units using a single etherport adapter; c.f. the November 15 update to the ECM-1240 support page..

ecm_mp.gif

Does anyone have or know about this item? I have two ECM-1240, but only one etherport; so this would be a desirable item.

Over the last month, I've sent three emails to their Tech Support and left a couple of phone messages, without reply. Last week, I did manage to speak to someone who promised to have the fellow that makes up the cables call me back. So far, nothing.

Alternately, can anyone suggest a different mechanism? I've considered Lantronix UDS2100 and WiBox.

Chris D.

You could always try for a cheap portmaster off ebay. Then you'd have a dozen or more spare serial ports for whatever else you want :( It's like the Lantronix devices only for many many ports, and somewhat less user friendly (I'd presume).

I've got an old 25 port Livingston Portmaster in storage I'm going to put to use for such things when I get to that point. Originally was part of an old analog modem bank for Internet America.

You could always try for a cheap portmaster off ebay. Then you'd have a dozen or more spare serial ports for whatever else you want :( It's like the Lantronix devices only for many many ports, and somewhat less user friendly (I'd presume).

I've got an old 25 port Livingston Portmaster in storage I'm going to put to use for such things when I get to that point. Originally was part of an old analog modem bank for Internet America.

I think the way the EtherPort with the multi-plex cable works is that it allows you to hook multiple ECMs via serial cable to a single EtherPort that connects to your router. You don't use any serial ports on the computer.

tenholde

I think the way the EtherPort with the multi-plex cable works is that it allows you to hook multiple ECMs via serial cable to a single EtherPort that connects to your router. You don't use any serial ports on the computer.

That's the goal: two ECM-1240 <----> one EtherPort <-----> my network.

Chris D.

I've found a little more information; This document lists a MUX-1 at the bottom of page 13. I'll try calling Brultech sales tomorrow and see what they cost.

Yeah, I've seen that, but we can't get any information from Brultech about what it really is and how it works. It's described as passive - does that mean that if 2 or 3 ECMs transmit at the same time, a collision occurs and you lose packets? Or is there a buffer that receives and coordinates sending multiple ECM packets to the serial port (doesn't sound like it if it is described as 'passive'). And, how do you send commands to an ECM connected through this to a serial port? You must have some way of addressing specific ECMs. With the EtherBee and EtherPort, you can send commands to them telling them which ECM to send to, but that is part of the ZigBee protocols and I'm guessing would not be used with the MUX-1.

Sure would like to know more!

tenholde

I called several times yesterday and got voice mail every time. I sent them an email asking for pricing on the expansion package with wireless radios installed and haven't heard back yet. Guess they are really busy.

I called several times yesterday and got voice mail every time.

That's my experience from 2 minutes ago (10:15AM CST).

Guess they are really busy.

That's a mixed, but initially positive, sign. Over time, it becomes transitions to a negative signal.

Chris D.

Nothing new heard on the software front either (from anyone....). A simple voicemail message saying "we're here but really busy" is better than unanswered calls...makes me wonder a bit if a "Life After People" scenario has occurred at Brultech... ;)

I called them this morning Australian (Melbourne) time and got straight through to Paul. I have called 3 times in the last week, and only got the voice mail message once - guess its luck.

I am about to order 3 ECM1240's along with CTs for our 3 phase system at home and this is his comment about the MUX cable.

"As far as communication goes, if you have three RS-232 ports available on your PC then you are all set. If you want to combine the three RS-232 signals to one then you would need to add an RS-232 MUX cable."

Paul

I called them this morning Australian (Melbourne) time and got straight through to Paul. I have called 3 times in the last week, and only got the voice mail message once - guess its luck.

I am about to order 3 ECM1240's along with CTs for our 3 phase system at home and this is his comment about the MUX cable.

"As far as communication goes, if you have three RS-232 ports available on your PC then you are all set. If you want to combine the three RS-232 signals to one then you would need to add an RS-232 MUX cable."

Paul

If you have the serial ports on your computer, you are better off connecting directly to each port. The MUX combines up to three ECMs into one serial port, but it is passive and if 2 ECMs transmit at the same time, you will get collisions and lost packets. This is not a big deal, as lost packets are of little consequence, but if you can go directly to the serial ports you are better off.

tenholde

If you have the serial ports on your computer, you are better off connecting directly to each port. The MUX combines up to three ECMs into one serial port, but it is passive and if 2 ECMs transmit at the same time, you will get collisions and lost packets. This is not a big deal, as lost packets are of little consequence, but if you can go directly to the serial ports you are better off.

Does this mean I need to have a PC always waiting? Mu ecm-1240 currently buffers a bunch of records and downloads them intermittently (from 1 ecm-1240) over the etherport. I'd just like both to work off the same etherport. I'm getting more convinced that the Lantronix UDS11000 is the right move. Unless there's a way for one ecm-1240 to pause another one during port sharing, you lose the one or both sets of records.

Does this mean I need to have a PC always waiting? Mu ecm-1240 currently buffers a bunch of records and downloads them intermittently (from 1 ecm-1240) over the etherport. I'd just like both to work off the same etherport. I'm getting more convinced that the Lantronix UDS11000 is the right move. Unless there's a way for one ecm-1240 to pause another one during port sharing, you lose the one or both sets of records.

What software are you using to download the stored records from the ECM? It sounds like you are running with realtime OFF and requesting the stored records at some frequency. If this is the case, you will not have a problem with losing records. The ECMs will not send unless polled, and there is a mechanism to address a specific ECM on the shared cable and request it's stored records.

tenholde

What software are you using to download the stored records from the ECM?
tenholde

A little Ruby thing I wrote to send out strings and accept/parse data into a csv format.

The ECMs will not send unless polled, and there is a mechanism to address a specific ECM on the shared cable and request it's stored records.
I didn't recall that ... so I figured dumping one ecm would dump them all. Maybe I'm ok with one etherport after all.

Back