Bug with daylight saving time switch?

michelkenny

I'm running the latest v5 firmware on my Elk M1. I have it configured to sync time with an NTP server on the internet, and I also have "observe daylight savings time" enabled. When I woke up this morning I noticed that the M1 had jumped not one but two hours ahead. Presumably because the NTP server jumped ahead an hour, and the M1 thought it had to jump another hour. I supposed I could disable "observe daylight savings time" as the NTP server will always have the correct time, but all of my other devices (PC, phone, switch, router) are all configured to sync with an NTP and with DST configured and they were all correct this morning.

I'm running the latest v5 firmware on my Elk M1. I have it configured to sync time with an NTP server on the internet, and I also have "observe daylight savings time" enabled. When I woke up this morning I noticed that the M1 had jumped not one but two hours ahead. Presumably because the NTP server jumped ahead an hour, and the M1 thought it had to jump another hour. I supposed I could disable "observe daylight savings time" as the NTP server will always have the correct time, but all of my other devices (PC, phone, switch, router) are all configured to sync with an NTP and with DST configured and they were all correct this morning.

Mine did it too. Kinda sick of having to adjust the Elk's time twice a year. Every version seems to have this issue....

BTW, NTP doesn't report the adjusted time, it always reports UTC and the client has to adjust for timezone, DST, etc.

not to go too far off topic.. but what ntp server are you using? I have had issues trying to find one that will work with my ELK. it usually reports a problem.

Mine did not adjust either. I thought this was a done deal. Oh well not the worst bug to have if it is a bug.

All of my accounts went fine that I know of right now. I have them set to email my service accounts on either a FTC or time errors since they modified daylight savings.

Well I thought things went well, when the M1 flopped forward as expected at 01:59:59+1 on Sunday, to 03:00:00.

Unfortunately -- and bizarrely -- it reverted to Standard Time at 02:59:59+1 on Monday, on its own. That time-of-day was followed by 02:00:00, and that error persists. As it happens, I have been doing automated hourly time logs to measure some clock drifts, and this behavior is in the log.

According to the "XK" ASCII response, the M1 believes that Daylight Time is in effect (string position 18 = 1) but it has the wrong time, slow by one hour.

Yes I use NTP sync and yes I have checked all of my settings. Time zone in sunrise/sunset is correct, start of Daylight Time in globals was second sunday in March. I have now changed this last setting to "specific date" of March 13th, hoping that this will make a difference on the next sync.

Firmware 5.2.2 with RP2. How does one find the XEP version? The "VN" response has zeroes for the XEP version.

ELK has acknowledged the bug, and will be releasing a fix in the next firmware release.

My version is the latest.

Ironically I decided that it wasn't a high priority to RP in and fix the issue. Some time between 6:00 yesterday and 6:00 today the issue is magically fixed. Maybe the NTP update fixed it?

Edit: At least Elk isn't the only one with DST issues:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/daylight-saving-time-dst-ios,news-10449.html

Does any one experience the similar problem again? My ELK think DST ends already and it's time is 1 hour behind. I've to tell ELK that DST ends on 11/6 instead of 1st Sunday on Nov to fix it. I am using firmware 5.2.8 with M1XEP 1.3.28.

Yup - there's a couple of threads going on about it. For some reason it's still not fixed.

If you're using NTP, it's best to manually set the DST date in ElkRP... or manually set the time and turn off NTP until the time change happens.

Here's this week's other threads on the issue:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20229&hl=elk+and+time&fromsearch=1
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20224&hl=elk+and+time&fromsearch=1

The second one has a user's comments after contacting elk and having the problem confirmed.

Oddly enough it hasn't happened to me yet this year, but I do recall it happening about 3 years ago - My NTP may be offline at the moment though - I know that had something to do with it. I believe when NTP was working right is when the Elk got the most confused.

I noticed that my security system at the office erroneosly changed off of DST. I don't pay any attention to it, but it seems like it might have also happened Nov 1. I have nothing to do with that system, it is owned by the complex. I don't even know what brand it is becuase the security system has it self-branded. It looks a lot like DSC stuff, but not exactly. I wonder if there is some higher order problem here?

My Elk has the latest firmware on both the main board and the xep, just fyi.

My ISY is not having any trouble with daylight saving time nor are my computers and they all sync to NTP. The ISY doesn't seem to have any way to manually adjust when the switch occurs. Perhaps they put it is in the firmware and will just update the firmware if DST changes again.

Mine is 2 hours behind this AM. Can someone point me in the right direction to get back to the correct time with the simplest method?

Update: i had it update from the server again this AM and it corrected itself.

Back