Build back boxes for recess light

gasbie

can someone please tell me the materials i need to build a back boxes for my recess lights. Also, when building this boxes, do I use nails or wood glue to build the boxes? Thanks

Can you give us a little more info, like what type of lighting, and where it will be located? A lot of lighting doesn't need a back box depending on what it's mounted in.

As a general note, with any woodworking, Wood Glue holds best - nails just keep things in place until the glue dries.

Yes, more details please.
Where are they and what do you want to accomplish with the boxes?

If they are exposed to the attic, you can make boxes out of 2" foam, which can be air sealed and will significantly improve HVAC performance over simply piling loose insulation on top of them.

As mentioned, more info.

What type of lights?
Purpose?
-sound insulation
-thermal insulation (air seal)
What is on the other side? attic, joist space between floors, roof rafter space, etc.

I've been wanting to do this to my IC-rated attic exposed 6" cans for a few years now as they are not air tight versions.

I considered using wood to build a simple box, but they are new construction cans so that means support brackets between joists that throw a monkey wrench in that plan. The other plan I had was to simply use fire-rated caulking to seal the holes in the can itself and the space between the can and ceiling.....and while I was up there every other ceiling box (such as fans) and wire chases.

Foam insulation, as mentioned above, may be best though as I can build some boxes in the garage have the ability to make easy modifications in the attic since I can knife the foam as needed.

You can probably remove those brackets now that the ceiling is in place. The brackets hold the cans in place during rough-in, but once the drywall is installed they aren't necessary. They are on sliders and just prying them out of the joists on each side allows you to slide them far enough from the joists that you can drop your prefab box over the top.

I don't know about spray foam directly onto the cans as it may expand through crackes and into the innards of the can.

You can probably remove those brackets now that the ceiling is in place. The brackets hold the cans in place during rough-in, but once the drywall is installed they aren't necessary. They are on sliders and just prying them out of the joists on each side allows you to slide them far enough from the joists that you can drop your prefab box over the top.
True.

I don't know about spray foam directly onto the cans as it may expand through crackes and into the innards of the can.
Not foam; caulk. Or now that I think about it, maybe a HVAC mastic depending on heat issues???

Happy new year guys. Thanks for the quick response. I'm building a home theater in my basement and I will be using some halo air tite recess light that will going into the ceiling. Just to let you know, my ceiling is not that deep, nor is it that high. If I install the recess light without the box, I will have little space left to work with above the recess can. I was thinking about installing the recess can to the beams, then build two side boxes for each can. these side boxes will eventually form a box with the beam. Am not sure if yall can picture what I'm say. My main purpose is for sound/insulation. I have my dinning room on top of this theater. Thanks

Not foam; caulk. Or now that I think about it, maybe a HVAC mastic depending on heat issues???

Definitely caulk. If you make the boxes (which is the best way in my opinion), caulk the seems of the box and caulk the whole box down to the drywall. If you do that, there is no need to mess with any holes/cracks in the actual can.

I have seen somewhere that they used those thick pink foam insulating boards to make boxes. The foam they put underneath vinyl siding. Makes sure it is far enough away from the can.

The pink foam, that is what I was talking about and what I plan to do soon.

The boxes will be ~18" cube, caulked & sealed inside and caulked to the top of the drywall.

Ted White from thesoundproofingcompany.com recently addressed this topic in an AVS thread.

He linked to instructions on his website.

Use cement board (heat resistant) and caulk.

Mobile phone fail. Can't easily provide links.

Search thesoundproofingcompany.com website for the how-to with diagram.

And, search AVS - found a few relevant threads about sizing and construction.

That was some good info, but it concentrates on sound proofing and using non-IC cans.
My question would be if cement board is required for IC cans or could you safely just use foam insulation?

Although, you would think foam is fine since the cans are already fully covered with fiberglass insulation. However, that doesn't keep them thermally sealed like the box would.

Back