Building a Modular Home - Need suggestions for Home Automation, Security, and Theater controller/sys

highvoltz

Hi all,
Hope its ok to post here, there was no section that covers all the above topics in one.

Building a modular home this spring. I'm looking for a good all-in-one solution, or solutions that work well together for Home Automation, Security, and Theater. I work in IT, and am an avid Mac fan. Macbook Pro / iPhone / iPad / apple TV, etc. In our apartment now, I use an apple TV with XMBC, connected to a dedicated mac mini server for sharing. I'd like to expand for our new modular, which will be a 2 story colonial. Since pre-wiring is not really an option for Modular, it makes it tough, as it's not a remodel. The home will be located on a remote dirt road, so security for the family is a must. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

All systems need to be controlled via iPhone, iPad, or via computer. I'd like to be able to monitor the house while at work, via iPhone, remote connection, text, email, etc.

As far as security, motion sensors, window sensors, glass break. I would like to know if the doors are in a locked state or open, alarmed, etc. I would also like ip cameras integrated, and if anyone were to come to the door, alert me remotely so I can check in.

With Home Automation, light control, appliance/device control, Thermostat, smoke detection, water detection, general HA activities

And with Home Theater, again I'd like control with iPhone/iPad, and be able to integrate something like XBMC, or airplay, with multi-room speakers for playing music, being able to watch a video from a fileserver at any tv in the house, etc.

Control4 seems to have the best iPhone/iPad integration. Was also contemplating about piecing a system together, possibly with insteon. There's an enormous amount of information out there, and I just don't know enough to make the best decisions. Modular systems would be best, so I can add as I grow and get more into it.

Thanks!

Depends on if you want to DIY or hire it out. Control4 doesn't let you DIY and it's costly.

The Elk and HAI panels are what I think most cocooners use - they're automation/security controllers that integrate with all the industry standard things like lights, HVAC, audio, etc.

Your security stuff is easy - contact sensors, etc... for door status you'll probably want the new Z-Wave locks from Kwikset or Schlage (kwikset's are motorized; schlage locks only release a clutch that you turn manually) - those will give you locked state and allow you to remotely lock/unlock. Others have rolled their own using Morning Industry motorized deadbolts and a hacked transmitter... when rolling your own you have to figure out how to rig up a magnetic contact sensor in the jamb to detect when the deadbolt is extended.

For the sheer extent of what you're trying to do, if you want to DIY, then you're really looking at integrating HomeSeer or CQC or even Premise. In my house I use Elk for security, hvac (RCS), irrigation, lighting (UPB), garage door control and a few other things (standard relay outputs)... and can control all from my iphone/iPad using eKeypad (HAI has a similar option - look around the forum for a thread titled HAI and iPad)... I don't do the video or theater stuff yet - those are when you need to start looking at a controller system like those I mentioned above to really tie everything together. Luckily you can do it all in pieces as you have the time and money.

I've only seen a few things on tv about modular homes, especially something as large as a 2 story colonial. My understanding is that they come as a bunch of "boxes" which are already essentially complete, wired, drywalled, trimmed, carpeted, painted, etc. Tell me if I am wrong here.

Wouldn't the manufacturer be able to pre-wire for security? Seems that that would be a very common request. Otherwise you will probably need to go wireless for all your door/window contacts which dramatically increases costs.

Also, you would want to pre-wire for your whole house audio. This would probably be less of a problem than the door/window wiring since it is mostly mounted in the ceilings which I would think you could pull wires for as the house was being assembled.

You will also want to connect your "control closet" with plenty of AV wires going to your planned TV sites.

As far as lighting automation, that is pretty much not going to need any pre-wiring. Z-wave, Insteon, UPB all work using standard home wiring.

Something like the 2GIG Go!Control Panel might be a good option. It's completely wireless, supports Z-Wave (including the locks, HVAC, etc.), plus you can interface it with your phone using the alarm.com service. As far as I know, this is something that has to be installed by a dealer (similar to ADT), but would address your needs if you want an out of the box solution.

As far as modulars go, it depends on your vendor. If your vendor offers a "prewire" don't take it. I've had the "pleasure" of wiring some of these.

Depending on the modular, some come as a turn key box, to be connected to others and some are missing finish work. I've also seen some GC's order the units and then gut the sheetrock and make changes onsite, as it's cheaper than stickbuilding and generally faster. One downside is some of these vendors do everything to be fast in their assembly of the modules, so items like bored holes in framing members isn't what they do, they cut notches for wiring, lay it in and then put nailplates over the notches, also with very creative interpretations of how the NEC dictates cable fill and wiring methods. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it after the GC's on a few jobs pulled down walls and sheetrock.

That said, with minor difficulties usually, or maybe minimal damage/repairs, you can run wiring almost anywhere in a modular no different than most retrofits.

Back