Building net-zero-energy home: need automation advice!

Believe it or not, there are many houses in Germany and some in Vermont and various climates around the country that have no AC or centralized heating system at all (they're so well insulated and designed that they're heated almost entirely from heat from the sun and cooled naturally as well). If you want to read about some examples, see here: http://www.passivehouse.us/passiveHouse/Articles.html

Since our house in the Boston area will have two home offices, is bigger than average, and we're not taking a chance on the house ever being too hot or too cold, we'll have an electric powered heat pump for AC and heating. The HVAC system and the entire house will be powered by a 9.45 kW solar array on the roof, supplemented by two solar thermal panels for hot water (and by passive heat through the southern oriented windows)...

I don't really know what having a 9.45 kwh system means in actual production. If the sun is up on average 12 hours per day and usefully high in the sky 8 of those, and cloud cover is 20%, then I am thinking something like 60kwh/day average or roughly 1800/mo. Am I on target here?

I don't really know what having a 9.45 kwh system means in actual production. If the sun is up on average 12 hours per day and usefully high in the sky 8 of those, and cloud cover is 20%, then I am thinking something like 60kwh/day average or roughly 1800/mo. Am I on target here?

The production will vary by month, and according to PVWatts (the standard calculator for solar production in the U.S.), our system should generate ~12,000 kWh per year...

The production will vary by month, and according to PVWatts (the standard calculator for solar production in the U.S.), our system should generate ~12,000 kWh per year...

Is your array 9.45KW before or after you factor in conversion losses.

I see that the PV watts site does factor in the inverter losses, so it is more like 7.3KW.

1000 kwh/mo is pretty lean living for a family of 4. Do you have a ground source heat pump? I would think Boston would be a good place for that technology. There is no way to have any incandescent bulbs, which means no chandeliers since I have never seen a chandelier bulb worth squat that isn't incandescent. Hopefully LED's will get there sometime soon. Hope you don't have teenage girls with the hair dryers and curling irons. For sure you need to look at the switches you choose as well the controller since that can add up to hundred of watts 24/7 if you choose poorly.

Maybe you could save some money and stick to shade control - skip the lighting control.

Manual dimmers are super cheap, compared to automated.

here's a datapoint for solar production (although i'm sure we get more sun in CA). our array has been online for 1 year now. it's 3.68 kW and it produced 5,811 kWH of the 8,636 kWH we used the last 12 months.

Attachments

• power.png
    power.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 9
Damage,

How big is your house? Do you need to run the AC? Do you heat your house with electricity? How many people in the house?

Your total electricity consumption is quite low. I use about 3 times that much.

it's a little over 2700 sq ft and there's 4 of us. we use the ac maybe 3 weeks worth of days in the summer. heating is with natural gas. fortunately the weather here is moderate with plenty of sunshine. we've gotten as high as 1200 kwh in a month before but over 1000 we're paying about 47 cents per kwh.

it's a little over 2700 sq ft and there's 4 of us. we use the ac maybe 3 weeks worth of days in the summer. heating is with natural gas. fortunately the weather here is moderate with plenty of sunshine. we've gotten as high as 1200 kwh in a month before but over 1000 we're paying about 47 cents per kwh.
Yeesh - I hit 2200 in the summer months (just from the A/C) because someone is always home... and it hits 110+. And I have the same 47-cent rate over the first 1000kwh - so you can imagine my summer bills!

That seems like a small solar install - what did it run you?

Yeesh - I hit 2200 in the summer months (just from the A/C) because someone is always home... and it hits 110+. And I have the same 47-cent rate over the first 1000kwh - so you can imagine my summer bills!

That seems like a small solar install - what did it run you?

i guess you're in the northern part of northern california. sac area? i wouldn't say it's small. it's sized just right - my plan was to generate enough to keep us within the subsidized tiers 1 & 2, with some room for inevitable usage increases. we only hit tier 3 once, in december (just 73 kwh over). our south facing roof is almost completely covered in panels anyway (got 230 watt panels instead of the typical 175, 190, or 200 watt panels to get the output up). we have room on a less ideal WSW facing part of the roof for maybe 6 more panels, which we may do if we get an EV. after the state rebate & federal tax credit, net was around $13.5k.

That $.47/kwh is highway robbery. I think your politicians are up to some shenanigans since the cost of production and distribution is no where near that. Sounds like social engineering to me. Last month my top tier rate was just under 10 cents. That will go up a bit in the summer but since natural gas prices have dropped, so has our electricity.

For me it makes zippo financial sense to put solar in. Though the idea of being at least partially independent of the grid is enticing.

But unlike some of you guys living in temperature "utopia" I have to heat or AC over 300 days per year and I am all electric (except propane hot water/cooktop/gas grill). And when you figure in that my daughter's face swells like a balloon in the spring from tree pollen, we don't even get to open the windows except a few days in the fall.

Yeah - I'm in the Sacramento area... and Lou - yes, our electric rates from PG&E are absolutely ridiculous and unjustified. When I had SMUD or city power in Roseville it was closer to $.12/KWh even in the highest tier. When we got our first bill at around $700 I about crapped - assumed I had one fo the faulty smart meters, then compared it to my vacant house (which had the pool pump, fridge, and heat pump set to 80) and usage was comparable... then I saw the rates they were charging. Of course my next reaction was to look at Solar but put it off because it seemed too expensive and I didn't want to finance it. $13K though is totally doable - so once we knock out one or two other big projects, I may look at that again. Like Damage said, the point really isn't to go off-grid, but to get you out of that insane tier.

I'm in a 4K sq. ft. place that's got someone home all day every day and this place just cooks in the summer - so we have to run the A/C pretty much all summer long, all day. That makes us prime candidates for a solar subsidy to grid power for the high demand periods.

At $.47/kwh I suspect payments on a solar array would actually be cheaper than the electricity. At $.10 or .12, you aren't getting ahead.

Here is a site you might find interesting. I have spoken at length with Gordon Howell, the engineer who spearheaded the project. Solar really is v. expensive, but it was the last step to net zero. he is approachable if you have any questions. He did have a problem with the vampire draw of UPB, etc. You might want to look at these:

http://www.enocean.com/en/home/

No power required!

Personally I have 2 UPB systems with HAL/Cinemar hybrid control. I now use an iPad for touch screen control of everything ( v. high WAF!). Main Lobby can control the Lutron shades very precisely. Couldn't get Hunter-Douglas to work, and the installer did one job with Somphy and never again after the ease of the Lutron. Use Russound for audio with hardwired speakers. Avatrix matrix swithcher for video, all controlled by touch screens.
Elk M1 security interfaces with the HAL/Cinemar system- some UPB commands are issued directly by the ELK, eg lights in response to motion sensors.
Speaking of motion sensors, have a look at this:
http://nitrogen.posterous.com/ascii-art-kinect-hacks#whatsnext
The system requires PC, another power draw ideologically, but possibly justified by practicality. The system has saves the house several times when the boiler has failed- yes, i am on the frozen steppes of North America-Edmonton Alberta. Still have 2 feet of snow in the back yard and it's snowing again today...
I used ICF in one application and SIP's in another. Used IR cameras to monitor installation to ensure insulation was tight. Windows are an issue, but I decided that is where I am willing to spend a bit of energy to get enough natural light inside.
I get an email and text message about status and alerts if the temp is too low or the sump is too full, etc. The system handles telephony as well.
The system cost is a consideration. I think my cost is less than 20% of an equivalent Crestron.

I have both places wired and plumbed for solar heat and power with the connections stubbed off in the ceiling, waiting until utility cost justify it.
Universal design was implemented so that they can carry me out of the place at the end. Approaches are graded for easy access, doors a little wider, no curb in the shower, too name a few. Can't find my usual reference to this, but a complete example can be seen here- http://www.quadomated.com/
For example, while I have no need of it now, I have designed the space and placed hangars inside the walls for an elevator in one house ( a 2 story) and designed the stairs in the basement of the other- a bungalow- to accommodate one of those stairlift devices. There are a lot of little things in construction phase that become big and expensive if you have to retrofit.

I believe you are on the right track with your reasoning and assessment of the future. We have to think globally but act locally, and our own personal space is part of that.
Hope you have a blog so we can track progress!

bob

Back