c-bus in the u.s.?

i'm considering clipsal/c-bus for a new home. the comments i've seen here on it seem generally quite positive, and their U.S. website (square-D) looks like they've got a product, but they've been pretty much non-responsive when i've tried to contact them, which makes me wonder if they've really got customers here. thanks to one CTer i've got a basic idea of how to buy it and what it might cost, but i'd feel better if i heard from a few other satisfied customers...

i'm also a little worried that products they announced a year ago (4-zone thermostat, decora-style switches) still don't seem to be available; do they have a history of not being able to deliver?

The ELK M1 has a C-Bus interface module that was developed by Ness Security, LTD in Australia.

i'm considering clipsal/c-bus for a new home... i'd feel better if i heard from a few other satisfied customers...

i'm also a little worried that products they announced a year ago (4-zone thermostat, decora-style switches) still don't seem to be available; do they have a history of not being able to deliver?

I am a satisfied Clipsal customer. I enrolled in the Clipsal training course at their Florida design center last year and then bought enough components to do a prototype installation. The 3-day course was very informative and helpful and I managed to get the prototype working with no problems.

As you probably know, Clipsal is an Australian Company and has been "in the business" for quite some time. Delivery of one of the components I ordered was delayed while awaiting UL approval but they did get the approval and I received the product.

I am also waiting for the decora-style switches. You should know that you will not be able to use their decora-style switches with Leviton wall plates (because of the way the wallplate attaches to the switch). You will, however, be able to use other decora-style components with the Clipsal wallplate. At least, that is what I was told when I inquired.

Spanky,

Is the CBUS-M1 interface available from ELK yet or is it only available from Ness?

Hi,

C-Bus is very popular in Australia and is quite widely deployed. A number of people (myself included) are eagerly awaiting the thermostats and these have been coming "very soon" since late last year. Product manuals are now available and the configuration software (Toolkit) already has support for the units, so they are close.

In general C-Bus units cannot be re-flashed "in the field", so I think Clipsal are making sure that the software is rock solid before they ship - this is particularly important in a device like a thermostat where equipment damage could occur from incorrect operation.

For lots more information (and helpful people) visit CbusForums

Paul

The M1 C-bus interface is currently only available from Ness in Australia. We plan on adding it to the ELK line when the market demands.

This is the case of the "squeaky wheel". When it squeeks, it gets fixed faster!!

The M1 C-bus interface is currently only available from Ness in Australia. We plan on adding it to the ELK line when the market demands.

This is the case of the "squeaky wheel". When it squeeks, it gets fixed faster!!

Please consider this a squeak.

I am sure if you contact the guys at Ness that they will help in what ever way they can.

I have sent one M1 interface to Ireland just recently, so there are many ways it can be done.

As with any new product, it can take time to get all the approvals etc for the large range of items available. C-bus is a rock solid product and thats because they don't release prematurely.

Mick

Just got the intro last week from clipsal, what types of systems have you been doing and or seeing? Intergration of security, cameras, thermostats, macros, and etc. seemed kinda fuzzy?

The C-bus network is not a secure network so it should not be used for security applications - not to say you can integrate an alarm panel, just not send user codes etc across the network.

Scenes are a big part of C-bus. Create a scene in a switch and then you press one button to set a group of lights to a preset level. If you want to do the same from another switch, you set it up to activate the scene in the other switch remotely.

A switch can do anything, timer, dimmer, on, off, toggle, ramp, scene and custom just for a few. Change your mind, just change it with the software that is freely available to anyone.

You might have a single gang switch in and decide you want a newer 8 gang switch. Just pull it out and put int he new one and program it up - it just works. Expansion is easy as long as you can connect that pink cable. C-bus is topology independent.

Audio has been integrated in to C-bus. Clipsal released their own multiroom audio system. Uses digital audio between matrix switch and remote amps and uses C-bus for the control of the equipment.

Clipsal are releasing a curtain (drape) controller shortly - quite a few are waiting for that.

C-bus enables thermostats have been released for about 6 months now. I have not heard any fedback other than they are very nice in real life.

With all of the above, you get control of everything from a single "multi-gang light switch" on the wall - removing the need for two or three switches for each individual application.

I personally have an M1 integrated with C-Bus. My light switch as opens the garage door via the M1. Some of the F buttons on the M1 KP2 turn on lights removing the need for a light switch where there is a KP2. Other switches are used to put the roller shutters up and down (using an Elero venetian controller connected to a c-bus relay). Arming the alarm turns off all the lights, opening the garage door turns on the lights out front of the garage and in the garage. It goes on and on. Alarm PIR's can be used as lighting PIR's.

C-bus also has an infra red option as well. Some of the PIR's double as light sensors and IR receivers so you can turn lights on via remote. C-Bus can learn codes for other devices and turning on a light switch can send that code to a IR output unit to control whatever it is you want to control via IR.

The PAC (Pascal Automation Controller) is the brains in the background if you want to run more complex logic. The colour touch (CTS) does the same thing as well, but has a touchscreen attached. They have RS232 so you can control serial devices from them as well.

Irrigation is possible via a c-bus relay, although with the cost of relays I would spend it on a dedicated irrigation controller that I could control with c-bus.

Clipsal also have their own PC application called Homegate that gices you a similar feel to say CQC, Mainlobby etc. You build up the screen interface and go from their. It is limited pretty much to C-Bus, so I would recommend CQC (my fav).

Using a PAC/CTS and an electronic solution inc. drape controller (eg RQ60 series) with a serial interface you can control all your curtains from the one interface.

The list goes on and on.

Some of the more specialized systems are catered for with gateways that they have manufactured (DSI, Dali etc).

Hope this helps

Mick

Back