in-box zigbee switch modules?

wkearney99

I know fibaro makes a module designed to be put inside a wall switch box, but it uses z-wave.  Which is great if you're using a z-wave hub.

I've got a bunch of zigbee-based Hue lights at the mother-in-law's house.  They seem to be working reasonably well and were my only reasonable stop-gap measure to get some kind of automation in place without subjecting her to an overly-technical setup.  As in, not a wink or smart things hub, just yet.

I'd love to find a module that'd allow keeping use of her old-school toggle switches, but that also integrated with the Hue hub. There are too many decor-specific issue with her existing switches to make any changes to modern Decora-style paddle.  At 82 years old there's definitely some 'old dog, new tricks' issues involved here.  

I've been thrown a loop recently having been hit with a bout of 'vestibular neuritis', essentially an inner-ear viral infection of some sort and it's thrown my balance and vision for a loop.  So I can't quite dedicate my usual time and attention toward researching this.

So has anyone yet seen, or better yet used, a zigbee-based switch module?

wkearney99 said:
I know fibaro makes a module designed to be put inside a wall switch box, but it uses z-wave.  Which is great if you're using a z-wave hub.

I've got a bunch of zigbee-based Hue lights at the mother-in-law's house.  They seem to be working reasonably well and were my only reasonable stop-gap measure to get some kind of automation in place without subjecting her to an overly-technical setup.  As in, not a wink or smart things hub, just yet.

I'd love to find a module that'd allow keeping use of her old-school toggle switches, but that also integrated with the Hue hub. There are too many decor-specific issue with her existing switches to make any changes to modern Decora-style paddle.  At 82 years old there's definitely some 'old dog, new tricks' issues involved here.  

I've been thrown a loop recently having been hit with a bout of 'vestibular neuritis', essentially an inner-ear viral infection of some sort and it's thrown my balance and vision for a loop.  So I can't quite dedicate my usual time and attention toward researching this.

So has anyone yet seen, or better yet used, a zigbee-based switch module?
How about this? http://smartenit.com/product/zblc15/

It even has two relays, and follows the Zigbee HA standard. 

From a quick read that looks to be just an outlet controller, not a switch input.  I'm after a way to take her existing toggles and use them as inputs for smart switching of Hue lighting.  It does look like they have other devices, I'll have to read more.

Here I have only played with Zigbee smart appliance modules, regular lamp modules and regular appliance modules. 

I had to firmware update the smart appliance module. Googling over on the Zigbee site do this this device listed as a Zigbee certified product for 230VAC stuff.  Looks like it used more in commercial settings.

adhoco_s1.jpg

Adhoco.S1

Adhoco AG

Verstärker/Router
Einbau in Unterputz- und Abzweigdosen
Funkverstärker
Netz betrieben

adhoco.S1 is a combined light on/off actuator and light switch sensor. 230 VAC operation. Small size, fitting behind light control switches of any type. Switches up to 13 A resistive appliances. Endurance up to 10^6 cycles. Features an indicator LED and a multi-purpose pushbutton.
Firmware Version    1
Hardware Version    1
SKU    N/A
Application Type    ZigBee Home Automation
Application Type Version    1.0
Technical Category    ZigBee Home Automation
Technical Sub Categories    Level Control Switch
Parent Functional Categories    Energy Efficiency
Functional Sub Categories    Dimmer Switch

A get well cheer relating to your bout there Bill.  Mom has Ménière's disease (initially pegged as recurrent idiopathic inner ear issue in the early 1970's).

pete_c said:
A get well cheer relating to your bout there Bill.  Mom has Ménière's disease (initially pegged as recurrent idiopathic inner ear issue in the early 1970's).

Thanks Pete.  No idea what it is yet.  But it doesn't sound like Meniere's.  I didn't have any balance issues, just really whacky sudden rapid eye motion.  Think REM sleep motion, just while I was awake.  Damnedest thing.  

All the eye motion was physically exhausting to the eye and adjacent muscles.   No fever, no balance nor hearing loss.  Just nausea from the wildly spinning visual aspect.  Five days later and I've still got what I can only describe as 'video lag' where my sight seems just slightly behind my head motion.  Eyesight is plenty clear, no visual acuity issues and no balance problems other than the potential to misjudge sudden motion.  Hopefully some discussion with an ENT this week will shed further light.

pete_c said:
 230 VAC operation. 

I'd be looking for US 110vac.

It would seem the European market is doing a lot of pioneering in this area.  The idea of small modules like this, that is.  I'm guessing it might have more to do with the varying kinds of wall switches, unlike our more standardized single-gang units.

I've read conflicting things regarding Fibaro's quality control (some units 'letting the smoke out').  That and I'm leery of abdicating absolute on/off control of the voltage to a fixture.  Lutron's devices have their air-gap tab that pretty much guarantees there's no current going through the switch.  Gizmos like this wouldn't offer that and I have to wonder if there's an electrical code component involved.

Personally I don't care what protocol gets used as long as there's decent control over it.  The plethora of standards has been the bane of home automation for far too long.  Using zigbee with hue devices offers the potential to tap into the software connectivity that ecosystem is currently offering.  But, as with many products, ecosystems change; falling in and out of favor for all sorts of reasons.

I'm just after some reliable sunrise/sunset and scheduled lighting controls for my 82 year old mother-in-law's house.  There really is a missing element tying things together with enough simplicity for that segment of the market.

There is / was a person on the Homeseer forum playing around with proprietary wireless and using a small wireless DIY'd LV/HV module inside of the switch box. 

It wasn't Zigbee or Z-Wave from what I could see and not an off the shelf product (tiny breadboarded doo hicky about 1" long or so).

For a while I was seeing a product from Legrand which was wireless RS-232 called "Top Dog"; didn't see any tiny in light box RF controllers there.

Yeah sometimes nystagmus (or a blepharospam, bells palsy, etc) stuff can be a real PITA. 

Back