Cabling: running alarm wires alongside Cat5/6a

TriLife

Greetings from Colombia, again!

Thanks for all of you for your invaluable input so far.

We're snack in the middle of laying out the wiring in the house, electrical, Ethernet, alarm.

I know data/alarm cannot run close& parallel to electrical.

But, would it be OK to run the alarm wiring and data cables in the same conduit? We're talking Cat5e/6/6A wiring along with 2-wire and 3-wire sensors? I'll be installing an Elk M1 Gold. The Ethernet will be carrying regular home networking, security cameras etc.

Thanks for your continued support!

Running the alarm and Catx wire in the same conduit should be ok.  Catx consists of twisted pairs, which are relatively immune to noise from external sources.  The alarm sensor wires tend to be steady state most of the time, and don't generate a lot of noise.  And the Catx cables won't generate much noise that would bother the alarm wiring.

It has worked for me.

I pulled everything together from the box that houses my M1 in one path. This includes cat5e data-bus, sensor wires, speaker wires  and an 18awg pair that powers the detached building with 12vdc. The system has been good for a few years until it recently began getting an infrequent restart that I don't think has anything to do with the cables being together.

I learned from RAL that DC voltage does not emit interference. It's the 60 cycle AC voltage that is a problem near data cables.

Mike.

Come to think of it I even bundled rs-485 data cables and12vdc power cable alongside my 240vac house wiring for a length in my basement. I didn't now any better at the time. Now  wonder if this could be causing an occasional restart.

Mike.

Back