CADDX NX-8E system advice

bradsjm

Hi, I'm considering putting an NX-8E into property I will be renting. The reason for the NX-8E choice is because it already has a CQC driver and I'm looking to use that to be able to trigger CQC events later. Since it is a rental, pretty much everything outside the closet will need to be wireless. The property is located on the top floor so the only access is via the front door and rear exterior doors and the living room balcony although I may add motion sensors for automation purposes too.

I like the LCD keypad option, and I see there is a version with a wireless receiver in it or should I go with a separate wireless board? All advice welcome ;)

This is my standard response to this question.

The Caddx NX8e is a great SECURITY system (I have one myself). The programming is not for the faint of heart! It does not have near the flexibility or ease of programming offered via the Elk M1 (of which I also installed).

IF you do wind up getting this, make sure you download the DL-900 software, purchase at least one LCD Keypad, and get the serial adapter (ribbon cable connector to DB-9 connector) for the NX8e board. Also many people have reported problems trying to get the serial interface working with their systems.

I don't use wireless sensors, so sorry, can't comment on that.

Hi, I'm considering putting an NX-8E into property I will be renting. The reason for the NX-8E choice is because it already has a CQC driver and I'm looking to use that to be able to trigger CQC events later. Since it is a rental, pretty much everything outside the closet will need to be wireless. The property is located on the top floor so the only access is via the front door and rear exterior doors and the living room balcony although I may add motion sensors for automation purposes too.

I like the LCD keypad option, and I see there is a version with a wireless receiver in it or should I go with a separate wireless board? All advice welcome ;)

I have a wireless keypad/receiver on order so I can't compare it to the wirless boards but I can tell you the wireless part of the nx8e is flawless.

While programming isn't the easiest IMHO (even though I'm fairly good at it and I don't use DL900), once you get use to it then it becomes second nature. I'm on my second installation of a Caddx system (running an NX-8E now) and I really like the flexibility of options. There's a board out there for just about everything you would like the interface (including X10) and parts are easy to obtain and also reasonably priced.

As for the wireless part of a Caddx system, I have the NX-448E with my system and I'm using the NX-1248E keypads (since they're easier to read than the NX-148E's plus have the night mode option which I use.) All the wireless devices (I use wireless window sensors and wireless keyfobs) have no trouble talking with the panel at anytime - just flawless and also very easy to program once you understand how to do it.

I also just got my Stealth Labs 1650 / Uplink Anynet installation done for cellular backup. Since the panel speaks Contact ID format you can easily hook it up to a Caddx system with very little trouble (just a matter of plugging in an RJ31X cable.)

If I were doing it again I'd probably try out the ELK M1 since there's some features in there that are more geared towards home automation, but if it was just a security system I'd definitely buy a Caddx system again.

Good luck!

I have a Caddx that I use for security (integrated to Homevision Pro for automation). I've been very pleased with it... programming takes a little getting used to (and I usually forget how to do it in between times ;))

Regarding wireless - I have 35 zones wired, and 5 zones wireless. I had an issue with 1 wireless zone - I just could not get a reliable signal from it. It was on the opposite end of the house as my board. I ended up wiring that zone. I don't have a wireless keypad to give you any insights on it.

I do wish there was a signal strength meter of some sort... either it works or it doesn't...

I do wish there was a signal strength meter of some sort... either it works or it doesn't...

There's a poor man's way of doing it, but what you can do is take the sensor after you enroll it and have someone stand at the keypad and use the *^ (up arrow) to scroll through the zones until you find the wireless zone you're looking to monitor. Make sure the sensor is not tripped (meaning if it's a door or window sensor you have the magnet right near the sender or if it's motion(you'll have to stand still for a few seconds to test)/gbs/etc. that it's not tripped) then just keep moving the sensor around until it no longer gives you a zone fault. I know it's not exactly scientific, but it should work.

Additionally, they sell wireless repeaters which you might have been able to use as well. I think it's NX-701 & NX-702 (depending on the number of channels you need.)

Back