Camera - IP or ???

Yeah, the OnQ system is more like a balun for their analog cameras. It isn't a true IP camera system at all. You must use their Cat5 Camera Module as the termination point of the wires used to/from the cameras. It does seem that you can mix and match any of the OnQ Cat5 Cameras in the same system however.

There seems to be four camera choices in the system currently:
F2284 - B&W Bullet
F2299 - Color Bullet
F2286-WH - Decora Mount Mini Camera
F2287 - B&W Infrared Bullet

Thanks for the response!!

So in that respect, I am guessing you can use other brands perhaps of higher quality or resolution cameras as long as they use the sort of cat 5 baluns?

thanks for the quick reply.

So if they use the cat 5 as some sort of baluns,

is it safe to say that we can use basically any camera other than the ON-q brands? possibily find a better quality camera with the same power requirements and uses cat 5 cable as well?

I honestly don't know. I suspect it probably would NOT work with another camera. I say this because I suspect part of the conversion is done inside the camera itself (like the camera has that end of the cat5e balun built into it). You can get cat5e baluns to work with analog cameras, so that is always a possibility, but I think it would need to be kept separate from the OnQ system.

if you are doing new wiring I would run cat5 plus 18 guage pair for power plus a analog cable. Even with the cat5 it isnt a bad idea to run separate power wire.

You get a few cameras going and you will need a decent size ppoe hub or a bunch of injectors. I find it easier to rewire a stock power supply and extend the middle.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking because there are other better quality cameras out there other than the ones supplies by On-q for their comfort systems. I haven't purchsed any of the camers yet so i'm unable to test which wires in a cat5 cable are used for power and the others for data.
Otherwise if it's just that simple, it would be quite easy to use any other cameras for the ON-q systems and get better quality cameras.

Len, need some help. I now have the IP video server hooked up, and with that hooked up, I had to unplug the 3 rca's in the camera module that went to the 3 channel FM modulator, because the IP video server needs to plug into those camera module inputs.

I need to split the signal so I can run it to the IP video server and the FM modulator. Can I juse use these cheap type Y cables? I'm not sure if this will work???

http://www.smarthome.com/7835/RCA-Gold-Y-Cable/p.aspx

Has anybody used these trendnet IP camereas? They are prices pretty attractive compare to some others..

Not sure if they are good and integratable or not.

This guy http://www.trendnet.com/demo/?model=105_TV-IP312 looks interesting for a baby cam.

I just finished reading through the manual and it seems motion detection and such are all done onboard the camera and it will save video to a share on your network. The only thing i cannot figure out is how to make it do a closed loop recording.. in their management software there is a maximum limit that you can set for the amount of space the video takes up, in the camera config itself that setting doesn't seem to be there.

For a baby cam the recording part isn't all that critical, although it would be interesting once we get baby sitters and such.

Everything is working great so far. Anyone on here use X10 for security? Also, anyone using the X10 commander APP?

I need help guys! I have now found since updating my iphone 5 that was on ios 6, to ios 9, any mjpeg stream I play from my cameras will freeze after 5 seconds! It will not work for more than a few seconds on my iphone. I've tried 3 other iphones on ios9 and same thing. ANd I've tried 3 additional iphones on ios 6 and the stream never freezes! What gives?

Back