Can I wire it this way?

wired-up

Still trying to find the easiest way to distribute power from my additional power supply for Elk M1G
Can I use my secondary source (power supply/battery charger (ELK P624) and battery and 16.5 volt transformer) to feed power for my additional Input and Output expander, just running 12v + and neg to the expanders and then using cat 5 cable (without the wires from cat 5 to the power terminals on the expanders) to connect the expanders to the Database Hub?
Also, I have a surge supressor for power and tele line (ELK 950) on the original power supply to the ELK. Should I get another one for my second power supply, or is this necessary as the doc for the ELKP624 says it has built in surge suppression?
Thanks,
David

Your wiring for the add on P624 sounds good with one minor adjustment... You will need to common up the output NEG from the P624 to the M1G's NEG.

Remember that the Elk-M1DBH has a "SPARE 1" and "SPARE 2" on the input terminal block. If you are not using these, you can use them to run your auxilary supply. You can also connect the NEG of the M1 to the NEG of the P624 at this point as well...

If you live in an area where you feel that surge suppression is needed for your M1, I would go ahead and protect the P624 and the devices connected to it with a surge suppressor as well

Thanks Chris,
Let me make sure I've got it.
negative from P624 to 'spare 1' on M1DBH, positive from P624 to positve on Input and Output expanders.
Cat 5 from DBH to input and output expanders connecting to A, B and negative only (not to positive)?
Do I need a jumper from the negaitve on the M1DBH to 'spare 1' to common up the M1 and the P624?
Thanks for the clarification as I'm somewhat electrically impaired.
David

Thanks Chris,
Let me make sure I've got it.
negative from P624 to 'spare 1' on M1DBH, positive from P624 to positve on Input and Output expanders.
Cat 5 from DBH to input and output expanders connecting to A, B and negative only (not to positive)?
Do I need a jumper from the negaitve on the M1DBH to 'spare 1' to common up the M1 and the P624?
Thanks for the clarification as I'm somewhat electrically impaired.
David

Everything sounds correct, and yes, you'll need to connect a jumper from the neg of the M1 to the spare1 since this is where you will be connecting your NEG of the P624. If you put +12V on spare2 on the M1DBH, you can use this wire to distribute power from your P624. If you have something you want to power off of the M1, use the normal power wire... If you have something that you want to power from the P624, use the spare2 wire... Just be careful with the wiring, it can get confusing...

Chris

Thanks again, I had totally missed the obvious that the spare1 and spare2 on the M1DBH correlated with the 2 spare Cat 5 wires. That makes it much more convienient to split up my power sources from the DBH. Don't you just love ELK?
David

Back