Can't connect to M1XEP, plus ElkRP2 issues, any tips?

dscline

I think I probably have two separate issues here, but not sure. I've been pretty lazy and haven't done anything with my M1G in a long time, as in years. I need to update firmwares, I need to update rules, all kinds of things. So I've finally decided I'm going to start, but I can't seem to even find the M1XEP on my network. I have a static lease set up for it in my router, but it's not listed in my router's list of connected devices, and I can't ping it. It looks like it's working: the amber light is on, and the green light is sporadically flashing, suggesting traffic. The lights are on, but it seems that no one is home.

It's been long enough since I've connected to it that I have a new PC that didn't even have ElkRP on it. So I log in to the Elk site, and see that it's been updated to ElkRP2. I install it, but then get to the point where I need to open the appropraite account. No problem, I still have the drive from my old PC connected to the computer, so I browse to where the old ElkRP files are and try to open the previous ElkAccts.mdb file. I get a message indicating that the file is from an older version of ElkRP, and that it's going to copy & rename it. I say OK, then I get an error that it was unable to copy the database. It asks me to copy it manually, which I do, but when I try to open the copy, the whole process starts over (older version, say ok to copy, can't copy, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned that. Did that a couple of times. I've also rebooted my router. The network port on the appears to be working just based on the activity of the lights, so I'm hoping it's just something like a static IP got stuck in there somehow, rather than a dead M1XEP. :(

An update: I found in the manual how to set the M1XEP up to it's default static address, and when doing that I can connect to it. But I can't seem to get it to acquire an address from DHCP. I've also tried deleting the static DHCP address I assigned to it inmy router, but it also doesn't seem to get one from the pool. None of my other devices have any problems getting an address from my router, so I'm stumped. :wacko:

Why would you want your M1XEP to have a dynamic IP? You really should have it assigned static for a number of reasons:
- So you know what IP to find it at from ElkRP
- So you can port forward to it for access outside your network
- So you can use third party devices & software (ISY, custom computer software, iphone apps, etc) with it without fear of it moving around

All of the above pretty much require your XEP to have a static IP. Pick one within your normal subnet. If your computer's IP address looks like 192.168.1.38 give the elk 192.168.1.222 or something similarly memorable. Remember that in home/basic networks you MUST give the elk a number that has the first 3 segments of your IP address identical to all other devices on your network. The other numbers like Subnet Mask, Gateway/Router, and DNS server can be completely identical and copied fully from something like your computer.

Good luck!

Find it using the default static IP, then configure it to the static IP of your choosing - much more reliable than counting on it getting the correct reserved IP from the DHCP server.

After you connect as indicated in Post #7, you can recover your database from the ELK M1G.
That brings me to my second issue of not knowing how to get ElkRP2 to work with my old ElkRP database files. Without getting ElkRP2 to work, I can't even get in to set a static IP.

Start ELKRP2 with a new account. Fill in the serial #, port, IP, and access code and you should be able to connect. When prompted, copy the database from the ELK M1. You will also will also need to go to M1XEP Setup and do a Receive.

Be sure to have the newest version of RP (.16) before updating your M1. This will prevent a system wipeout. Save your old database to your desktop and open it with the new RP, then do the firmwares.

Back