Casement window sensors

JonR

My new home has nice, big, wood casement windows. I'd rather not drill into the areas where the weather-stripping is located to mount recessed sensors. Are there surface-mounts that work on a casement window? It seems like the magnet and sensor would have to be mounted at a 90-degree angle to each other because there aren't any planes where both pieces could be mounted side-by-side in the usual manner.

Thanks,

JonR

Jon, depending on the construction of your window and how the hardware is installed. Often there is a narrow space under the bottom window trim where the arm moves to operate the window. We have used small mag. contacts in this space with the mag mounted on the window. The wires enter the space from below. Use caution and plan the install because with the window open and the arm extended the space looks quite wide. Keep in mind the arm will occupy a good portion of the space when in the closed position.

CDC

CDC said:
Jon, depending on the construction of your window and how the hardware is installed. Often there is a narrow space under the bottom window trim where the arm moves to operate the window. We have used small mag. contacts in this space with the mag mounted on the window. The wires enter the space from below. Use caution and plan the install because with the window open and the arm extended the space looks quite wide. Keep in mind the arm will occupy a good portion of the space when in the closed position.

CDC
That's the same way I did it.

I have Anderson casements. Depending on the size of the window, you will have different amounts to play with, but I used the mini contacts also.

The only thing that shows is the magnet, and only when the window is open.

Brian

Thanks much for the fabulous idea. I've got Loewen windows so I'll scope out the available space when I next visit the site.

JonR

brotsten:

Do you have a picture of your Anderson window sensor install. I have about 30 windows (not all need sensors) and would like to do a clean job as my wife (and the architect) have a strong feeling for these windows and one scratch will set my automation efforts back immeasurably...

Is there a mini-est mini window sensor?

Chuck

Well, after a study of the windows, I think I've got some good options. There's a hidden trough that runs the full width of the window and is 1.5" deep and about 1" high. There are a couple spots where I've got about 1/2" vertical clearance to squeeze in a sensor (Option A in the pic) and a spot where I'd have a little more clearance than that (Option B).

My first choice would be to place it at the "Option B" location where it would be hidden by the metal bar which is like a piece of angle-iron, so not only would it hide the window-mounted portion of the sensor from view, it would also provide a metal surface to attach to without endangering the window seal.

Given the space, it seems like the "strip-type" sensor might work better than the stubby kind since the cavity is so deep. However, I'm still puzzled with how to affix the magnet to the window. The strip-type sensors seem to be designed to mount on surfaces which are in the same plane whereas in this application the bottom of the sensor would face downward but the bottom of the magnet would face outward. If I install it this way will the magnet still perform well enough?

JonR

The photo didn't seem to make it - here's another try.

Attachments

• WindowSensorSpace.JPG
    WindowSensorSpace.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 132
I'm not a professional burglar, but is there really any way to physically open that window frame without breaking (or cutting) the glass? Why not just use a good glass break detector?

You are recommending the way I did it as well (for almost all my windows). Very clean and hidden.

I wanted these "just in case" someone could figure out how to open them (such as use a glass cutter, cut a hole, reach in and wind the crank). Also, it's nice to know a window is open (for automation needs such as HVAC, and also to make sure house is locked up tight before leaving).

I also use glass breaks liberally as insurance in case someone trys that route.

Steve said:
I'm not a professional burglar, but is there really any way to physically open that window frame without breaking (or cutting) the glass? Why not just use a good glass break detector?

Not cool enough :)

Hucker, I'll try and get some pics when I'm out this week.

Brian

Back