Where to put window sensors in Marvin Integrity windows?

signal15

I'm currently looking at putting Marvin Integrity windows in my house.  Most of my existing wood casement windows have window sensors in them for the security system (Elk M1).  I don't currently have a cutaway of the new window to reference, but I had them in my last house and it seems to me that they were somewhat difficult to mount hidden sensors properly because of the fiberglass frame.  Also, Marvin says they'll void my warranty if I drill any holes.

I'm sure some of you have installed sensors in these windows before.  What's the best way to go about it?  Any photos?

If they are hollow, my recommendation is don't do it.

I have broken the seals on a couple of windows and had one window glass break due to weaking the frame where the magent was.   I now do tane pill external sensors.

Integrity can be drilled with a sharp twist bit easily. Also plenty of room to install magnets. Question is whether or not voiding the warranty is applicable. I'd dig through, but Andersen and Pella would only void the warranty on drilled components, not the entire sash.

Surface contacts can also be mounted on the side easily.

Can you hide the pill switches in the frame, or do they sit visibly on the surface of the sash?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have Marvin Integrity and I also used Tane pills on my double hung windows.   They are barely noticeable.

On my casement windows, I found an easy way to install hidden sensors.    Let me know if you need photos of these.

DELInstallations said:
Integrity can be drilled with a sharp twist bit easily. Also plenty of room to install magnets. Question is whether or not voiding the warranty is applicable. I'd dig through, but Andersen and Pella would only void the warranty on drilled components, not the entire sash.

Surface contacts can also be mounted on the side easily.

A bit of an older topic but I'm just seeing it now.

I know for a fact that drilling a Pella window anywhere will void the warranty. I install Pella windows almost exclusively these days and my rep told me in no uncertain terms that it's a no-no and that sensors have to be surface mounted. I have never inquired but I'd imagine Marvin would be the same. As Marvin has a much smaller sales rep base even if someone told you over the phone that it's ok there's no way you could get a warranty claims agent to validate a refund on a failed window that you drilled holes in.

Gold coast for alarm systems here. Have done the dance before with the manufacturers and warranty claims.

Andersen voids the warranty on the specific components modified, IE: sill and sash or weatherstripping. We've moved from drilling much of the sash by using rare earth magnets (discussion with them re: thermalpane)

Marvin voids the warranty on the modified component. Specific is whether or not your local rep chooses to argue if the frame is a single "component" however the sashes and related hardware are not part of the assembly.

Pella is the same as Marvin. A good rep will acknowledge field modification within their spec and alarm component installation.....key is you need to provide the alarm device's installation documentation (look up Sentrol's old application book, it has Andersen and Pella window installation) which is generally lacking on most alarm component manufacturers. If you can prove the devices are installed I/A/W established industry standards and Pella/Andersen documentation (it exists) the warranty is valid, less modified components.

Vinyl is the bad one. Generally the frame is considered a single assembly/extrusion and drilling will void the warranty on that component, but not the thermal pane.

Of interest, the big guys will offer factory alarm device installation, but the project and cost has to justify the custom work. We've done it before on large scale installations, but field modification is usually easier and more economical. We've also had the reps come to the site and document for warranty purposes. Key is whether or not the job can warrant the extra work and relationship with the rep. Usually far easier to deny warranty claims as a wide swoop, and manufacturers seek to only honor the slam dunk claims.

Back