How to reinforce your strike plate so your door wont get kicked in.

i installed one of these expensive kits of screws & metal, rather than just reinforcing the strike plate area. because there are 10 screws distributed along 5 feet of the door frame, a kicking force would be spread across more points so that each would only endure (in an ideal case) 1/10th of the force.  unlike just a strike plate reinforcement where all the screws are concentrated in a 6 inch or smaller area and all the stress would be concentrated there.  the kit comes with a reinforcement for the door too, because when the frame is reinforced, then the door is likely to splinter (which is what happened at my neighbor's house).  there are also longer screws to reinforce the hinges.

I'll have to dig up the picture I have of a building secured by my old employer.....steel door, steel frame set into masonry and grout filled frame. They literally folded the door in half across the bottom portion and didn't touch the lock or move the contact setting off the alarm. Lack of a PIR in the vicinity also meant they had carte blanche to remove what they wanted to.

DELInstallations said:
I'll have to dig up the picture I have of a building secured by my old employer.....steel door, steel frame set into masonry and grout filled frame. They literally folded the door in half across the bottom portion and didn't touch the lock or move the contact setting off the alarm. Lack of a PIR in the vicinity also meant they had carte blanche to remove what they wanted to.

Did these guys end up in prison in upstate NY?  

;)

Craig

I have a solid hardwood door on the front and a metal door in the back.  I used extra large deck screws on the plate and hinges.  it will take a very large determined man to kick my door in.  Crooks are often discouraged by difficulty.  They sometimes just move on to a easier target.

JohnDennis said:
I have a solid hardwood door on the front and a metal door in the back.  I used extra large deck screws on the plate and hinges.  it will take a very large determined man to kick my door in.  Crooks are often discouraged by difficulty.  They sometimes just move on to a easier target.
https://cbsphilly.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/target-hole.jpg

The picture I have to find is more humorous than this, they bowed the door up and folded it in half.

Hardware makes little difference to someone carrying a cordless sawzall. Hate to say it but I've seen it done and unless you're on top of your neighbors, not going to draw attention.

Still in development, but "Haven" looks interesting:

havenshot21.jpg

http://www.havenlock.com/

Will have iOS (Homekit) and Android (Nest) support.

Craig

42etus said:
Bottom line is if a thief wants to break into A house, you make yours so difficult, he chooses a different house.
If he wants to break into YOUR house, he will.

Have a good security system.

Plus a dog. We reinforced both the hinge and the entire deadbolt side of the door with metal screwed 6" in, security sensors everywhere. But getting a dog is whats keeping folks away, and mine is only 18# to boot. Bark & growl is pretty big though.

Very little stops a determined thief - but I think most of us agree, #1 goal is to try to discourage them from ever trying; #2 is to slow them down and more importantly let you know if you're home.  The latter is especially important if you're home - it could mean all the difference in buying time to get that 12-gauge aimed at the door when they finally get through, or calling the police.

JohnDennis said:
Like that big window next to your door?

In our area, we have a lot of violent home invasions that begin with the front or rear door being kicked in. I am just making sure that no none can just walk up and kick in the door.  If they really want in it will take them a few extra seconds and I will have time to get my gun.  I am lucky to have 3 neighbors who work from home and 2 who are retired.  There is an almost instant armed response if the alarm goes off.

I am not expecting that a reinforced door will prevent all burglaries, only that it adds another layer of resistance and strengthens one of the weakest points of the perimeter. 

JohnDennis said:
In our area, we have a lot of violent home invasions... and I will have time to get my gun. 
If that is the case, may I ask why you don't have it on you already?

Medeco is the only lock manufacturer that offers two strike plate potions with each deadbolt. The top strike is for doors opening out and the stainless steel strike box is nearly indestructible and protects the one-inch bolt against thieves. Both the screws are invisible after they are installed but offer high-security door locks.

Back