In-Laws Broken into - through double hung tilt to clean windows

sic0048

I learned that my in-laws vacation home was broken into sometime over the last week or so. To gain entry, then simply pushed against the lower window frame. They have replacement windows - the double hung, double pane, tilt to clean style windows.

I haven't seen the windows since the break in, but they say they did not break the glass, but pushed with enough force to pop the window open like you would when you clean it. On one window, the lock was broken. But we think they also entered another window where the lock was not broken.

So my question is if people have heard of people gaining entry via this method? Just how secure are these types of replacement windows? In order for them to hing in to clean, they are only secured at the bottom of the window at the hing point and the top of the window at the latch point. I've never thought of it before, but clearly that could be a less secure design. But I would have thought that most manufactures would reinforce those spots to prevent this type of breakin. That is why you have to open the window some before you can tilt it back.

So what are other people's experiences?

This is interesting, because if you had a magnetic sensor at the bottom of the window, tilting it in like that might not open the zone. I never thought about it, but those kinds of windows are relying on the latch to keep the lower sash from being tilted in, and most of those types of locks I've seen aren't built to resist force in that direction.

The reason I put my magnetic sensors in the MIDDLE of the window ;)

img4318editedcropped.jpg

I should note that while I don't know what brand of windows they bought, I am sure they were not the cheap low grade stuff. Knowing my In-laws, they bought the higher quality windows.

I learned that my in-laws vacation home was broken into sometime over the last week or so. To gain entry, then simply pushed against the lower window frame.
I am not advocating that anyone try it.... but generally speaking it is very easy to break into a home. The other "more secure" windows... are really just more secure in your mind. Even most dead bolted steel doors can be popped open without doing any damage. Unfortunately most burglars are just crash-and-grab thief's. They often do more damage getting in than what they take costs to replace.

Not much can be done to protect a vacation home. An alarm will allow for your in-laws to at least arrange for repairs to prevent additional damage from weather and critters. But if a crook has found a easy source of income... they will just keep making the rounds till they get caught.

I'm a low voltage / security engineer by trade...
About 10 years ago in the UK, we went through a spate of break-ins on newly installed upvc double glazed windows.
It turns out that clued up theives had figured out that the beading on these wonderful new windows was quickly removed from the outside using a filler knife.
So in they went through a removed pane without even opening the window!

It was a busy few years fitting vibration sensors until the manufacturers wised up and put the beading on the inside....

Properly set up 'Vipers' (or similar) should pick up any 'rattling' of the windows if they decide to return.

I'm a low voltage / security engineer by trade...
But if this is a vacation home... it would be my guess that might mean NOT an urban area.. (although urban makes a nice vacation also). So if the home is in an area with a normal 20 minute police responce time... (and the burglars are complete morons and don't know to break-in on Saturday night... when response time will change to over an hour).

So intruders trip the alarm... grab whats there and load up the van. They should be home eating ice cream long before the police show up. How exactly will a vibration sensor help?

By triggering the alarm BEFORE entry.

Should the zone be programed to dial silently, The Police would be on them quicker than they can be home with their pals ben & jerry - No matter what day of the week it is...

Surely its better to know when they are attempting vs inside?

Thats how we do it here in the UK - Thats what calls the police and a confirmation from another zone makes them put their foot down...

Like the question
Thats been mine. Just my Two Pence.

how we do it here in the UK - Thats what calls the police and a confirmation from another zone makes them put their foot down...

That sounds great! Wish we were that good around here. Alarms just help document and process the insurance paper work here.

So my question is if people have heard of people gaining entry via this method? Just how secure are these types of replacement windows? In order for them to hing in to clean, they are only secured at the bottom of the window at the hing point and the top of the window at the latch point. I've never thought of it before, but clearly that could be a less secure design. But I would have thought that most manufactures would reinforce those spots to prevent this type of breakin. That is why you have to open the window some before you can tilt it back.

Our new home has tilt-in windows, but I don't think the tilt feature is the weak point. The tilt hardware and the double locks are much stronger than the vinyl frames. I think a pry bar shoved between the upper and lower sash would produce shards of vinyl, unobstructed entry, and no damage to the steel lock mechanisms.

I have relatives with property in the north woods. Their summer vacation cabin was vandalized almost every winter, sometimes with a chain saw. They tried better locks, an automatic dialer to summon a neighbor, and even leaving the doors unlocked. They finally solved their expensive problem by demolishing the cabin.

I think the best one can hope for in an unoccupied property is some degree of video recording with the hope the perps are local, and the authorities may have experience with them.

I have relatives with property in the north woods. Their summer vacation cabin was vandalized almost every winter, sometimes with a chain saw. They tried better locks, an automatic dialer to summon a neighbor, and even leaving the doors unlocked. They finally solved their expensive problem by demolishing the cabin.

I think the best one can hope for in an unoccupied property is some degree of video recording with the hope the perps are local, and the authorities may have experience with them.

That is heartbreakingly sad. And so very common too. Hidden [recording] cameras might be a defense. It certainly has the potential to be better than boosting structural integrity.

How sensitive would the vibration sensors be? I've seen car alarms go off from loud thunder, strong wind, rain, hail, etc. The cops won't be too happy when that alarm goes off every time it storms out.

What about an interior motion sensor, but set up on a silent alarm? If they're in the boonies and they set off an alarm, they will probably run. If the alarm is silent and they stick around, they are likely to be caught.

That is heartbreakingly sad. And so very common too. Hidden [recording] cameras might be a defense. It certainly has the potential to be better than boosting structural integrity.

Yeah.

It's a shame that you can't use traps.

I once responded with my USAF EOD team to a smallish community in West Texas where a guy was tired of having his storage shed broken into, so he planted a bomb to take care of the next uninvited guest. He won't have to worry about his shed any more. I don't know if he got jail time, but my team didn't leave much left of the shed. We could make out the trigger device through a window, and I wasn't about to send anyone in through the door to see if it was real. Small bang = no more shed.

Back