Cat5 cable questions

fleetz

What type of CAT-5 cable do you guys use for your installations? The single hard wire version or the stranded type CAT-5 for your installation?

Where would you use one and not the other?

Any good referenece sites that explain the differences and the do's and don't when it comes to installing Cat5?

As a newbie on the installation side I want to do a professional job when it comes to installing Cat5 cables.

Any installation tricks and tips would be appreciated.

Regards,

Fleetz

Most cat5 installations utilize solid core cable (Single strand solid core). I've been in the Telecommunitions and computer industries for 30 years and I've never seen stranded wire used, with the exception of speaker wire.

Just be aware that most of the terminating devices (110, 66 blocks, rj45 jacks) are geared for solid core wire.

TCassio said:
Most cat5 installations utilize solid core cable (Single strand solid core). I've been in the Telecommunitions and computer industries for 30 years and I've never seen stranded wire used, with the exception of speaker wire.

Just be aware that most of the terminating devices (110, 66 blocks, rj45 jacks) are geared for solid core wire.
THanks for that advice and I will use solid core. Is the stranded wire used for patch cables and the like?

Thanks also to electron for the links very useful.

Regards,

Fleetz

The stranded wire will be more flexible than the solid, just be aware that you need the proper terminating equipment for them, such as the RJ45 crimp ends and jacks, as they are different than the ones used for solid core wire.

It's common to use stranded CAT5 wire for patch cables... if you look at most any pre-made Ethernet patch cable it's likely to be stranded.

When your running in walls from wall jack to patch panel, it's most common to use solid wire.

TCassio's advice about the different terminating jack/panels is right on and not widely known... there are different products designed to work with stranded or solid core wire. You can usually get them to work interchangable in a pinch, but not the best solution especially if performace of the connection is critical. For instance, punching down stranded wire in to a 110 style patch panel designed for solid conductor wire is asking for trouble.

Cheers,
Paul

While I'm no expert at the topic, I read somewhere that solid wire can get broken with too much rough handling (bends?) and is a headache to troubleshoot if this happens. I don't know, probably this person found instances were the faliure was intermittent. He said stranded wire was more preferable for HA purposes for this reason.

I'm using solid wire, though. I got 1000 ft free. :angry:

While I'm no expert at the topic, I read somewhere that solid wire can get broken with too much rough handling (bends?) and is a headache to troubleshoot if this happens. I don't know, probably this person found instances were the faliure was intermittent. He said stranded wire was more preferable for HA purposes for this reason.

As the illustrious Sherman Potter said, "Horse-patooty!" :angry: This could possibly happen if you were using solid wire in a patch cord, but no way should it happen in a fixed installation if it is installed correctly. The operative words are "rough handling", AKA incorrect handling.

Back